Cold gearbox oil change ?? | FerrariChat

Cold gearbox oil change ??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by peajay, May 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have just been under my 328 adjusting clutch and fixing oil leak from pan studs etc. and decided to loosen up all the fill and drain plugs (there are 4 of course) ready for the gearbox oil. Now I have to put everything back together and put the wheels on, remove axle stands etc. just to get the oil warm, then do it all over again. Got me to thinking if anyone is doing this oil change with the car cold ? what do dealers do, take the car for a run before doing the change ?? I know the oil thins and drains more easily when hot, but I am wondering if it is worth all the extra effort from where I am now ??

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Of course changing the oil hot is the best method. But, changing it cold is not going to kill your car. Do it.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Agreed, I have seen mechanics change it cold, but they may leave it open a lot longer to drain. During that time, they are carrying out various other checks and inspections.

4. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yep, I had the same thought also, but thought I would see if anyone had heard of anything peculiar to Ferrari that would make this a bad idea. I'll just leave the drain can under for a few hours. Thanks for the fast input !!
    Paul

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    If you have the time leave it overnight. I do the same for the engine. Gives plenty of time for the heavier particles to make their way out.

6. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I change mine cold from time to time. It is nice because when you remove the oil filter no oil will come out provided it has been overnight. Most of the internal standpipes and check valves don't hold oil overnight.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    9 times out of 10 i do it cold because it is normally done at 7-8AM saturday or sunday morning when everything else is quiet. I am just too lazy to drive it then.