My first Ferrari - Part 1... | FerrariChat

My first Ferrari - Part 1...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Kevallino, May 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #1 Kevallino, May 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ... the purchase. Part 2 will be "The Delivery"!

I should have posted yesterday - however, I started the day at 1AM LA time with a flight back from Miami, followed by FDC lunch and Monaco GP rebroadcast, followed by sleep!

First, huge thanks to Martin for the hospitality in Miami - gotta go back but not on the redeye from Long Beach! (See last pic for impact - I am really WAY happier than I look!!)

Also, thanks to Jerry (Chiaro_Slag), Edward (Fierscm), Alan (Speedy308), Rob (jakermc) and Collin (huskerNtexas) - plus the board generally for all of the great information out there. This board is such a great resource - I just can't believe I joined only in February with thoughts of a 308 "maybe at the end of the year" and three months later I've got to organize transport for a 348 spider!!

Anyway, here are the pix I took in Florida of my 1994 348 spider, S/N 96057.

Cheers
    Kevin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Congrats on the new ride!! Sweeeeet!!!

Enjoy!!

:)

3. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Very nice, bet you are excited to take delivery.

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Congrats - Byron emailed me that car when I was searching - Awesome color & the interior looks great!

5. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Great looking car, I hope you like it. What kind of wheels are those?

6. banduga

banduga Karting

Mar 22, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Yup! I really like those wheels as well. Its funny how I feel those style wheels work on the 348, but not on the 355. I guess I'm just weird. Oh, and of course...

Congratulations!

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Love the wheels too!

Bandunga, it's probably because of the strakes on the 348... I've always felt that the wheels should be multispokes like these ones, to fit the lined theme.

Woo-hoo! Congratulations Kevin!

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Congrats, bro!!

That's a step up from the other car!

After my blast thru your state, I'd say a convertible is the way to go.

They say Coburn took the top off his spyder because it rattled, and never put it back on!!

9. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Congrats! I love the color combo! :)

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Very nice, congrads!

11. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Everyone - thanks for the thumbs up on the car.

The wheels are HRE's - pretty sure they are 540s. 18". Dunno what the widths are, but tires are 225/40-18 fronts and 265/35-18 rears, Goodyear Eagle F1s.

I am generally a 5-spoke kind of guy - I love the polished Speedlines, for example - but I think these look great on this car and I love them. I do like the "shiny" polished look as well although I know that isn't universal.

Again thanks. I can't wait to get it to LA and take some better pictures!

Cheers
    Kevin

12. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I really like the cream interior.

Is the exterior Chiaro or another blue?

I am not the biggest fan of the stock 348 wheels - So I like the change. :)

13. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hi Jerry - Thanks for the thumbs up. This is sort of the convertible little brother to your "big daddy" TR :)

Martin says the color is blu swaters metallic. Since this car has been completely repainted the paint sticker doesn't say blue (actually says giallo which doesn't really make sense either with the blue top/blue carpets/crema leather) but it is definitely not blu chiaro. The color is more like my 380SL, but with more metallic in it, so somewhat darker than blu chiaro.

As for the wheels, I'm not a big fan of the stock 348 wheels either so was pleased that this car has the 18" HREs. They are fully polished but not chrome (I could see where one rim had a bit of curb rash repair and polish) and of course HRE is a bloody good rim.

I am really looking forward to getting the car here, getting it detailed, and getting it to CC!!!

Cheers
    Kevin

14. BrianTheYank

BrianTheYank Karting

May 24, 2004
    maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Your a lucky man, great car. you cant go wrong with a fezza.

15. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I was thinking of putting HRE's on the TR. May still do it someday, but I like the 512M wheels also - The HRE's are great rims!

What color is giallo? There aren't a whole lot of colors that go with blue carpets / blue top! I really dig the creama interior with blue carpets - Very cool.

The exterior is probably similar to Jean-Louis' 348 spider - his is blu struddle (sp??) and is darker than the chiaro.

What is the difference between a chromed & polish rim?

Congrats again - Look forward to seeing it on drives & at CC.

16. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    Beautiful! Congratulations!

17. sf348s

sf348s Karting

Oct 8, 2003
    Lazio, Italy & UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Holden
    I havent been on the site for 3 months and just looked at the car on your profile on another thread then just saw this one, spooky. Congrats on the purchase and here's to some little boy sleepless nights waiting for it to arrive! i know i had to wait 6 weeks to drive mine after purchase as i was working away!

18. sf348s

sf348s Karting

Oct 8, 2003
    Lazio, Italy & UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Holden
    Giallo is Italian for yellow..as in giallo fly..the ferrari colour

19. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yellow with a blue top and blue carpets?? That does seem odd - Maybe they replaced the top & carpets when they repainted?

20. sf348s

sf348s Karting

Oct 8, 2003
    Lazio, Italy & UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Holden
    Do many of you 348 guy's run 18's or bigger? i have stock 17's and would like to change but i worry as i live in europe and the roads suck!

21. sf348s

sf348s Karting

Oct 8, 2003
    Lazio, Italy & UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Holden
    yeah does seem strange, has it been colour changed? can you check with the chassis number? i like the colour but never seen it before.

22. sf348s

sf348s Karting

Oct 8, 2003
    Lazio, Italy & UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Holden
    thats the first blue testa i have seen also, looks fantastic mate!!
    Are you sure that engine is clean enough ?!!! I love it !

23. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Judging from the look of the interior and top over all I don't think so. I am going to try to hunt down the original-original color scheme one way or another at some point - I don't really care that much but it will be fun to try to get the whole story on this car. Plus I am not sure that giallo fly on crema makes much sense regardless of the carpet color but again I don't know. One of the appeals of this car for me is that I love the color scheme as it is, the paint on it is extremely well done and way newer than 1994, and I have no responsibility whatsoever to try to maintain originality as that is long gone!!!

I have no specific plans at the moment - gonna bring 'er home and let 'er settle in a bit first!!

Cheers
    Kevin

24. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Jerry - on wheels for the TR also look at Kinesis and Fikse. William has Kinesis wheels on his race car, for example (I know because there is a pic of his car on their website!!) Fikse has one pic of a TR with wheels that are similar to mine but a bit "meatier" looking and not fully polished, and also a pic of a 5-spoke wheel.

Chrome is actually plated over the top of whatever metal the wheels are made of and can flake off over time. Polished is just polished, like your Tubi for example, without being plated. Nice thing is with a polished wheel that very small curb clunks can simply be polished out and the shiny doesn't flake off from heat cycling, etc.

I saw Jean-Louis' car at the FDC lunch yesterday - my car is lighter than his and metallic, whereas JL's car is non-metallic and almost navy blue.

Here is a 456 that is shown as blu swaters metallic at Continental - I quickly compared my photos to this car and would say they are the same color.
    http://www.continentalautosports.com/multiframe.asp?content=sportsearch/default&MyMake=Ferrari (it is a 95 so scroll down a bit)

As soon as the car is here I am going to have it detailed and will head to CC so will see you there!!

Cheers
    Kevin

25. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I would rather have a good re-paint than a bad original paint! So I'm with you on that one. It would be interesting to see what the original combo was - Maybe it was a special order by someone with really bad taste! :)

Whatever it was, I love the look of it NOW - Look forward to seeing it in the flesh!