Mondial off on Stunt was damn lucky | FerrariChat

Mondial off on Stunt was damn lucky

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by KMS, May 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    While your guy almost went over, one of the Audi S4's running in a different group around the same time DID go off. While he didn't land at the bottom it was damn close and the real scary part is NO ONE ACTUALLY SAW IT HAPPEN.

So, he's at UCLA medical now with a bunch of broken ribs and cuts around the face. He had to be airlifted out and the car wenched out. You can link to pictures here..

http://forums.rennlist.com/

If that doesn't take you directly to it, link to GT2/3 and look for Calling All Cars thread.

2. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    Thanks Murf. Gorgeous Pantera by the way. Took a close look while Valeting at the restaurant.

3. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You're welcome and thanks.

4. s4dustin

s4dustin F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    yeah, he was a friend of mine is a blue s4. Real nice guy...spoke to his mom at the hospital yesterday, and broken ribs and cuts so far. CHP said 300 ft down!!!! He was at the coffee shop and went for a drive after.....i have no more details as of yet, but i am going over there this afternoon. Mike, that is what i called you about, they first said it was an Audi, then they said it was a red F-car.....it was not visible at all. Totally covered by foilage. He is very very lucky to be alive. if you are going up stunt, it is after the first sweeping right into the following left (s-type turns)......Lucky Lucky Lucky......

5. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Poor guy! Those skid marks on the concrete and into the dirt look like he decided he could fly! Not so much as a wiggle or a spin, so methinks he got caught by surprise with his foot pushing the wrong pedal! :(

Sunny

6. s4dustin

s4dustin F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    i just spoke to him..... he is fine... broken ribs.. cuts....fine....

should be released today.....

7. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    I feel a bit better. Did he mention the cause?

8. s4dustin

s4dustin F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    he has amnesia...he remebers pulling over for the more spirited people and he wanted to bring up the rear at his own pace.....no idea? Also, no idea as to who called 911????

9. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    I think it had to have been someone hiking on another hill with a view.

10. s4dustin

s4dustin F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    he was more or less invisible...even when the chopper was real low and the force of the wind pushed the brush back......infact, i was there with the chp...then went to a lower trail to try to climb up to him...and then from 2 different vantage points...thank you to whomever made the call.

11. clokey

clokey Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This is an interesting point....it seems that both incidents on Sunday were as a result of being "pushed" by more spirited drivers. We should all learn a lesson from this! These canyon roads are dangerous for a host of reasons... even when not being pushed. We're all tempted to drive our cars how they were designed to be driven but MUST recognize that other drivers use the roads and have different expectations from the drives. I'm happy to hear the Audi driver will recover from his injuries but we need to realize that we all lucked out this weekend. The tone of these boards could have been very different if it weren't for luck ..... its difficult to imagine how any of us would have felt if the outcome had been different.

Time to think!

12. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

Hope all is well and God bless!!!

13. s4dustin

s4dustin F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    i agree...unfortunately, he has no recollection. I know that he wanted to bring the pack up and be slow about it???!!! Also, he has a reputation of not doing any group drives for safety issues. I have no idea, but I AGREE. I have a distinct feeling that the CHP are going to be very liberal with tickets. A sport biker broke 12 ribs, removed his speen and 1/2 is lung.....he comes by on wed. night and sunday. I am getting tired of all this bad news...PLEASE BE SAFE...spirited is one thing.....but stupid/reckless whether in a car/bike is not acceptable. BEST WISHES I AM DONE ON THIS TOPIC
    d

14. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #16 Chiaro_Slag, May 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sunny does make an interesting point regarding the skid marks. Doesn't seem like the wheel was turned at all - Just tire marks going in a straight line, right off the cliff.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

16. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    A guy from the Rennlist board who walked around the site as they were pulling the car up says the car went over sideways. The skidmarks look like the car was going straight but according to him if you look at the marks on site you'll see he was trying to make the turn.

Previous to that he had pulled over to let a faster car go by. There was no one else behind him pushing as I was the next car up and all I saw was a fading cloud of dust which I took to be one of the GT3's dropping a wheel off the pavement.

The car was a tiptronic S4 with a Stage 3 kit which puts it around 360whp(400+@crank). My understanding now is that the car was recently modified to that output. Each stage you go up makes the car significantly different. Even a chipped S4 is night and day with a stock S4. This guy knows the roads up there but isn't known for reckless driving. More than likely the car just reacted differently to what he is used to and over he went.

17. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Glad everyone is alright... You folks be careful out there.

18. msage430

msage430 Formula Junior
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2004
    calabasas
    Full Name:
    mike sage
    s4dustin
    I had no Idea what happend when you called, I hope your friend will be ok...

19. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    I think that part of Steve's problem on that day were the fact that the Mondial was very new to him and he was inexperienced with it's handling characteristics. I was a few cars back but saw things happen ahead of us, and it seems that the group behind him was probably pushing him to drive more aggressively than he was used to. When combined with loose dirt and gravel, the results can get ugly.

It's unfortunate that many people go on these cruises and drive like it's a race. Unfortunately following that close to anyone (outside of a track event) leaves very little margin for error (especially on a city street).

That being said, there is a whole technique to driving on a track or on a mountain road when someone is harrassing you through your rear view and side mirrors. Unfortunately, sometimes that is a hard lesson to learn. This time he was very fortunate that only the car was hurt.

I think that Dom can probably vouch for a similar thing that happened to him at Willow Springs on turn 4. The tendancy is to tighten up and over react... which is when mistakes happen.

I am very glad that everyone survived that day up in Malibu Canyon.

20. JSMDMD

JSMDMD Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003

What do you do when you get someone following too close either at the track or on a canyon run??

Joel

21. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Speed up or pull over.

DL

22. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    Yep, there are turn outs all over the place on Stunt. I've always pulled over for faster moving traffic in the canyons and bikes will always give you the appreciative thumbs up for spotting and waving them by.

23. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    Do not speed up if it is at or beyond your limits. You hold your speed and your line until there is a safe area for them to pass and wave them by. Speeding up was exactly what got Steve into trouble to begin with.

The key is to stay focused on what you are doing and don't tense up and overreact... do not focus on your mirrors and who is behind you. On track, they are trying to get you out of your game.

On a mountain road like Malibu Canyon you would be crazy to pass on most of that hill. The road has blind turns all over it and two way traffic. Notice that there are no barriers to stop anyone from going over the edge...

Brad