Do you guys think MS could have... (spoiler) | FerrariChat

Do you guys think MS could have... (spoiler)

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by artn, May 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. artn

artn Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Hi f-chat race fans:

Just curious if you guys think MS could have won at Monaco if it werent for the tunnel debacle.

In the melee, I completely forgot how many stops MS had relative to the other front runners. I think I remember that MS needed to pit 1x more than the other front runners, as was the case with RB. Once again, great team strategy by Ferrai to put MS at the front, but wasn't sure if it was enough for the win. The renaults looked awfully good.

As a Honda fan I will have to say that JB couldn't push as hard for the win as he wanted to fearing an engine blow up. (pure speculation...)

-Art

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    He COULD have won, but I don't think he would have. Qualifying is indicative of the cars/drivers potentials and this was not Ferrari's day.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No chance -- 3rd at best and really more like 4th (if you magically add MS back in I think you've got to add FA back in too ahead of him).

4. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    He would have a great chance to win. He was heavy on fuel. he could have pulled away from the pack once the safety car exited. He was lapping faster than anybody ealse and had the fastest lap of the race.

Qualifying was not indicative of his performance because he did his qualifying hot lap earlier than other front runners when their was less grip on the track. It was the time slot alloted to him based upon prequalifying.

5. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    On a "real" track, where the Ferrari can stretch its legs, MS could well hope to pull out a 30 sec gap in 8-10 laps, then duck in for a quick top-up, and keep the lead.

But at Monaco, where the tight quarters and slow turns negate a lot of the Ferrari's advantage ...
    (Remember: the Sauber has been running the same engine/gearbox package -- but different aero and suspension. Not all the different results are MS alone.)

If Jarno and Jenson got seriously munged up with the back markers, it might have worked. But otherwise -- it's a shame we didn't get to see.

6. Tuco

Tuco Karting

Mar 10, 2004
    Texas
    Quite possible MS could have won it. In the pits along with his mastery. He is capable of anything. ANYONE else in his position would not have a chance barring an outrageous chain of events. We dont know how Trulli would have reacted upon seeing nothing but Red in his mirrors.