Porsche 911 GT2... | FerrariChat

Porsche 911 GT2...

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by 134282, May 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i hastily wrote the following and posted it in this thread... i really haven't had time to do a formal write-up on my experience with Bill and his car, but i figured, at the very least, my hasty slop should be in its own thread... It was really an awesome ride...

"At this time, i'd like to grovel for forgiveness from Mr. Hart; he gave me a ride in his GT2 and it was deserving of a complete write-up with pictures and a lot of exclamation points and lustful phrases and panting and oohing and ahing and all that jazz, but i've just been so busy...

Considering the fact that the GT2's chassis was stiffer than Allan Lambo in a Britney Spears thread and that the acceleration was equal to that of a Maranello with Turbos, i'll reiterate what i've been saying long before i even found FerrariChat: Porsche is grossly underestimated...

The only 2 Porsches i've been in were a Boxster S and Bill's GTholysh_t... i drove the Boxster and the smile on my face was really disgusting... After riding in Pimp Daddy Billy's german time machine, i'm convinced that some of you folks are swayed by your love of Ferrari and unable to make an unbiased decision... Ok, granted, i'd STILL want a Ferrari over a Porsche (for MANY reasons, none of which have to do with acceleration or handling), but NO ONE can deny the AMAZING feat that is a Porsche.

GT(insert number here)s, 911s and even "lowly" Boxsters will REMAIN on my list (right along with Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Bugattis, etc.) as EXOTICS because they fit the description of an exotic... Maybe the passion isn't in the looks, but when you're going that fast around a corner, no one can see what the hell you're driving anyway...

At one point during the Le Mans Roller Coaster-type fantasy thrill ride in Bill's car, he took a corner with the intention of drifting... The chassis is so stiff that, as we drifted, it felt like we were going backwards over cobblestones, on tricycles... You feel EVERYTHING... It's like Porsche took a go-kart, put a Hyabusa engine in it and put a 911 body over it... if i didn't think he was upstanding, i'd say Bill stole brake discs off an NNO and put them on his Porsche... The calipers were so huge and vicious looking that, when the car was parked, you could see them chewing the brake discs, as if they were practicing in anticipation of Bill's next jaunt through the countryside... The full-blown racing seat with real-life racing harness was tighter than my former boss on pay day...

Now, let's talk about this beastly machine's acceleration... When we first took off (and i DO mean "took off"), Bill mashed the gas and we were instantly propelled through a blur of reality that immediately eliminated the gap between us and the car way in front of us... After i lifted my head from the imprint the sheer force made in the head rest, my memories of my first ride in a Ferrari (a 550 Maranello) were immediately rekindled... Half way to redline, Bill shifted into second and chirped the tires so hard, the pavement looked like pre-teen underwear... He explained he was being conservative with the loud pedal and that's why he came NO WHERE CLOSE to the blood red flat line... i can't imagine how RIDICULOUS things would've been if he had driven the car to its limits... When we were rounding some corners in the mountains that had curves that made Dolly Parton look like a Bertone creation, the car stuck to the ground like an acrophobe... The range in that car - from civil to straight up animalistic - is the clinical definition of bi-polar... It's a car you can drive to work (if you can resist doing donuts in the parking lot) and then leave early, go to the track, wax asses all day, then go back to work and not have to change clothes 'cause you never broke a sweat in the first place...

As i've said before, the only way to UPgrade from an 8, 10 or 12 cylinder engine is to buy a Porsche.

Now with that said, Ferrari runs through me like day old burritos and if i had one, i'd be hard pressed to trade it for ANYTHING without a horsey on it, but that's not to say that i don't fully recognize, acknowledge and highly respect the fiercely empowered jungle cats from Stuttgart.

My eternal praise go out to Bill Hart for an expperience that won't soon be forgotten. Thank you."

2. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I have always loved Porsche's and the Turbo's are as exotic as they come.
    I will own another porsche again but this time it will be a 911. :D

3. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How would the GT2 fare if compared to the F40, in terms of acceleration ?

4. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

I can't give anything about the feel of the acceleration... but the numbers are

2004 Porsche GT2*

0-60 mph: 3.9 sec
    0-100 mph: 8.9 sec
    Quarter Mile: 12.0 sec @ 121 mph
    Skidpad: 1.00g
    Top Speed: 196 mph
    Braking, 60-0 mph: 110 ft
    Slalom Speed: 69.8 mph

*By further browsing on the website it can be noted that they alternate between the Porsche numbers... ie lies. and the magazine numbers. Since the magazines always "manage" to pump out times between .1 and .5 seconds faster than what Porsche claims... for example the 0-60 from fast-autos.net for the 2001 Turbo is 3.8 seconds

1991 Ferrari F40

0-60 mph: 3.8 sec
    0-100 mph: 8.0 sec
    Quarter Mile: 11.8 sec @ 124 mph
    Skidpad: .94g
    Top Speed: 201 mph
    Braking, 60-0 mph: 122 ft
    Slalom Speed: 68.3 mph

1995 Ferrari F50

0-60 mph: 3.7 sec
    0-100 mph: 8.0 sec
    Quarter Mile: 12.1 sec @ 122 mph
    Skidpad: 1.03g
    Top Speed: 207 mph
    Braking, 60-0 mph: 119 ft
    Slalom Speed: 71.7 mph

All numbers are taken from www.fast-autos.net

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

My client who took delivery of his GT2 last year (there's only 14 or so in Canada) called me the next day after he actually had some time to experience it on the highway.

"The aceleration wraps your stomach around your spinal cord and pushes your eyeballs into the back of your head" or something along those lines were his exact words.......

I would use "terrifying" myself after having driven it for a couple of days...........this is not a car for amateurs (not that I am even close to being an expert either)..........that's what the "regular" turbo is for......heh.

6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Hmmmmmmmm, good question... i guess the next time i see Roland, i'll have to ask him if he'll give me another ride... :)

7. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    The numbers speak for themselves. The GT2 is freaking fast!

8. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    The #'s for the GT2 are a little high.

0-60 is 3.8
    1/4 mile is 11.8 secs.

If you chip it it goes to 600 HP. Stock ones are running at 500 HP, even though Porsche qoutes ONLY 457 HP. The nice thing about the car is that you can keep it a gear higher on the track, since it has 456 lbs of torque, it will pull you through turns which is a good thing as the rear end has been known to step out, especially if you aren't REALLY careful to roll on the throttle when in 2nd going through a tight turn. Once you learn the right approach, get some nice R rated tires and a very good alignment the problem is lessened significantly. BTW, it is a total blast on the street/highway since flooring it brings on warp speed like you can't believe (at least for a stock car). It is actually pretty nimble in the turns, as well.

9. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    It's a very very fast car. But the PCCB brakes are a deal-breaker for me since I like to track my cars.

Gary

10. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

They have different track compound PCCB pads available. I think they cost a bundle. Of course some go to regular affordable Brembo six piston calipers.

11. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    I plan on converting to the 15" Brembo's with the slated disc and putting the PCCB's in a box. The brembos are incredible. You have to get rid of the wheels too, they are boat anchors at around 30 lbs each. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it? Put on ceramic brakes that are light, but cost major bucks and cheap out with really heavy wheels. Duh.

12. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Option 2 is what I see most track GT2 guys doing. Doesn't seem to really matter what pad you use, your PCCBs are going to cost you a bundle after a most unreasonable number of track days. That's why I consider it a deal-breaker, can't really get my mind around removing the very expensive PCCBs and putting iron brakes on.

My choice of current Porsches would be a conventional-brake GT3.

Gary

13. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    I just smoked one on Saturday in my Viper.

14. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    With nitrous?

15. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    No,my 01rt-10.No nitrous on that car.Just exhaust and k+n and smooth tubes.

16. KPV

KPV Rookie

May 1, 2004
    NNO,
    I don't know if you remember me, but we met at Bruce's house. I was on my motorcycle at the time. I would have to say that your writing style had me entertained! I like your assessment of the GT2. I should have given you a ride in the beast. Imagine a GT2 with another 150 horsepower ;)
    Here is a pic:
    http://members.rennlist.com/kpv/041004-6-edit-small.jpg
    Best,
    Ken

17. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    I got a ride in a GT2 about a month ago and the acceleration was just stupid.

18. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne

*drool*

I have some of your pics of your 996TT in the snow.......some of the best car pictures I have(posted on rennlist, I think). All my car pics go into screensaver folder and whenever my buddies come in they always comment on how sweet your car is! Keep up the good work.

19. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ken...! Yes, i remember you... The dude with the *****in' crotch rocket...

Awesome, thank you...! It's a bit bolder than my usual style, but i was trying to convey a point and Porsches are so underrated, i figured i needed to be bold...

Oh, man...! Can my writing actually affect someone that they'd give me a ride in their car...?!? Cool...! :)

Um, i can't imagine that. Not at all... i guess i need to swing by your place the next time i'm in Jersey, huh...? :)

The link isn't working for me... i'd love to see it, though... Maybe Mr. Payne could post a picture...? Mr. Payne...? Pwetty, pwetty pwease...? :)

Ken, it was a pleasure meeting you... i hope to see you the next time i'm in your neck of the woods... Thanks for the kind words... :)

20. KPV

KPV Rookie

May 1, 2004
    Mr. Payne,

Here are a few more for you and thank you for the compliment:

Pic #1

Pic #2

Pic #3

Pic #4

Pic #5

NNO,
    Tell Bruce to let me know when you will be in town and I will see what I can do. BTW, good luck with the new job!
    Best,
    Ken

21. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina
    how much different is the overall experience of a gt-2 vs a 911 turbo? I've always wondered if the gt2 was worth the extra $$

22. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    IMO, the GT2 is too similar to the Turbo, both in exterior styling and under the hood. No doubt the GT2 is superior in both, but is it worth the extra $70k or whatever it is? I can't imagine it it. Aside from that, so many Turbo owners are getting the X50 package (approx $16-17k) & Aero kit (approx $8k), which I believe gives you almost everything a GT2 has.

23. BrianTheYank

BrianTheYank Karting

May 24, 2004
    maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I always thought a 996TTx50 would outrun the GT2. Cause it does have a bit more bhp iirc. Though I believe the GT2 will definetely come out on top ion the twisties.

24. Porschephile

Porschephile Rookie

May 25, 2004
    Wow! Thanks for the awesome writeup NNO! IMO, there is no substitute for Porsche or Ferrari. They are both so phenomenal that I personally don't consider either better than the other, yet better than the rest. ;) My preference goes to Porsche, but I love Ferrari to death as well. Ferrari's are pure sex, while Porsches are understated perfection of the driving experience (still exotic/sexy cars, but Ferraris are moreso IMO).

25. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    The TT is all-wheel drive; the GT-2 rear wheel. The difference in chassis set up, suspension, etc. make the GT-2 a different animal than the TT. There are no electronic assists in the GT-2, making it a much more involving drive, and a riskier one. As to speed comparisons between the GT-2 and other cars, i have no idea. I can tell you that the GT-2 is startling, especially if, as i did, you dump the stock exhaust for a more "open" one, which enables the car to go into boost much quicker. If you are interested in detailed comparisions of the the GT-2 to the TT, there has been much already covered on this subject on 6speedonline.com (NNO wasn't kidding when he described how rigid the car is, especially with the additional rollbar. The suspension is so stiff that one wheel come off the ground when you roll over curbs). You cannot make a TT into a GT-2, it would be pointless. And, since these cars never really "took hold" in the marketplace, they can be had at decent deep discounts for brand new inventory sitting since 2003. If any of you are curious about the drive, and what these cars are capable of, i recommend you test drive one, either a friend's or a dealer's. Frankly, i think many of you would be more than a little suprised by the level of performance that comes from one of these sexless beasts. All i can tell you is, the focker is a complete animal, and that's stock. When you start tweaking it, you are definitely going to the dark side of things.