Need to convert European VHS to USA VHS | FerrariChat

Need to convert European VHS to USA VHS

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by kdross, May 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I purchased a rare Ferrari VHS video tape (Ferrari BB512 and 275 GTB) last month on Ebay. Unfortunately, the tape appears to be in the European VHS format and will not play in my USA VCR. I have located a local company that can convert the tape for me, but they want $100.00. This seems a little steep for a tape I only paid $20 for. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I can get the tape converted for less?

Thanks.
    Ken

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ken,

What you probably have is a PAL (or SECAM) tape. Looks like a VHS, but is a slightly different format. Check the web, MANY folks convert.

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Just get a tri standard VCR ( Pal - SECAM - NTSC ) instead of having to convert every video u might buy in the future. Im sure they can be bought pretty cheap now.

4. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    100$ is steep. I paid 35$cdn for making an NTSC DVD to PAL DVD.

tri-standard VCR cost about 1000$cdn last time I checked.

I'd shop around for someone else to do it. Shouldn't be that expensive.

5. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    You say that it APPEARS to be a European VHS format. Did you buy it from Europe? If not, maybe it's just a bad dub. Depending upon how old it is, VHS tapes and machines were available in EP, LP, and SP speeds. Maybe it was recorded in some mode that your machine won't play, or isn't playing very well. If it's an old tape, it may be worn out or playing badly. And if it's so old that the tape is shedding oxide, it may be clogging up the video heads on your player.

6. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I purchased the tape from Italy and it was brand new and still in the wrapper.

Ken

7. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Italy = PAL, which doesn't have the same Hz rate, nor the same colour code. Basically, it won't work :D
    Seriously, most video stores (where you rent videos) have tri-standard VCRs and are willing to help out for less than 100$!!