Radio Controlled B-52 | FerrariChat

Radio Controlled B-52

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by beast, May 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    That’s pretty cool. I grew up in Ft. Worth, TX; former home of SAC. Those planes were a regular site back in my childhood days. Great find.

3. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
  4. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
  5. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    Nope, just for fun :D It's called a hobby, though obsession might be a better word in this case.

6. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Very Cool! Do the landing gear turn for crosswind T.O. and landing? :D

It looks like they took a B-52H and painted it with the Gen. Curtis Lemay era SAC scheme as found on the B-52D.

7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Actually the D had a big tail. What is the white paint for ? How about curtains in the cockpit ? LOL

8. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    With this thing you can fill up the bomb bay with your dog droppings and carpet bomb the neighbor down the streets house :D

Hopefully they will bring this monster out to one of the jet rallys in AZ in November or March

9. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    And THIS comment coming from somene who owns a Ferrari ;-)

Actually that is the most awesome RC plane i have ever seen!!!

10. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    Yep, and one whose had an obsession for model aircraft for a long time so I speak from experience :D

Not bad, but I still prefer the 1/5 scale B29, pity it crashed a few years ago :(

11. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I sure like an RC plane that my dog could fly in. It would be complete with my company's RC crystals! Very cool plane. I believe that the owner needs a special permit from the AMA to fly a plane this size.

12. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    With all that cash invested in that is it insured?and do you need a PPL to fly one of these,I know in the UK if it is over a certain weight then you need a license.Amazing piece of kit though,how long did it take to build,can you give us some more pics and some more details,size weight range does it 1 or 2 guys to fly it.

13. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The AMA states the following:

4) The maximum takeoff weight of a model with fuel is 55 pounds, except models flown under Experimental Aircraft rules, Document Number 549*.

ALSO:

GAS TURBINE

1) I will not operate any turbine engine (axial or centrifugal flow) unless I have obtained a special waiver for such specific operations.

2) I will fly my model in compliance with all requirements specified in AMA Safety Regulations for Model Aircraft Gas Turbines, Document Number 513*, at all times.

14. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Of course the AMA is just an organization, not a regulatory agency. Who needs their rules to constrict the fun. Build a bohemoth, find a field, fly the beast, have fun! But can't you just hear the whining lawyers, "But what if somebody gets hurt????" With that kind of attitude, the first pioneers would have never left England.

15. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Neat model.......and the paint scheme shown was valid for the "H" model as well.....they didn't go to the camoflage until the mid 60's on the "D" and the early 70's on the "H"....

Some guy also did a great scale replica of an SR-71 a few years back and made it into a kit.....it's about 10 feet long and had two ducted fans.....too bad that they never had ducted fans when I was a kid.

16. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    If this is the thread with R/C plane enthusiasts, I have a question. I saw a guy flying a plane a few weeks ago that was essentially a flying wing. It was electric as he was recharging it off of his car battery. It was the fastest R/C plane I've ever seen, it sounded like a jet but used a rear-prop set up. It was obviously something you can buy 'off the rack' as he had 3 of them. I've searched all over the 'net looking for it, but can't find anything even close. Do any of you have any ideas what it might've been?

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    B-52's are just impressive. I can see how someone could go crazy about making a model of one. I lived in a VERY VERY small town in Kansas for 3 years and it was right in the middle of a low altitude flight training path for B-52's. For 3 years about once or twice a week a B-52 would fly over our town at < 1,000 ft. It was very common to have windows broken.

18. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Dave,

From what i understand the plane has a wingspan of 23 feet and weighs in at 300 pounds. That is all i have on it

Rob

19. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    More pics and a scan of the RCMW article can be found at http://www.scalerchelis.com/gallery/album129

20. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #20 Ron328, May 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Must be the flying wing called "zagi." Check out their webpage at zagi.com.
    It is a very popular plane in the electric flight community.

Wow, that B-52 is just awesome. I fly r/c ducted fan jets too but that B-52
    just dwarfs mine in all aspects! Here's a pic of my Dornier 328 jet (328 seems to be my lucky number :). My son gives "scale" to the airplane.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The AMA is all about liability. If you are at an AMA field and hurt somebody, you have more protection in the courts because you were at least flying at a sanctioned facility and others know the risk. As for me, I am an AMA member that does not fly at the local field. I like to go out to country roads over farming areas and fly. There I can fly like a crazy madman (the norm) and there are no members or site member-managers to ask me to chill out on the stick!

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    My new house has a RC strip about a mile away. It's in a city park. Not sure if it would be under the jurisdiction of AMA?

How do I get started?

Which plane? Do I need to take lessons or can I just show up and start crashing?

23. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Rob,

Decide first which one you prefer, glow ("gas") or electric. I fly mainly high-performance electrics these days but it would probably be best if you start with a size .40 glow high-wing trainer. Have an experienced flyer assist you. If there's a club where you are it should be very easy to meet someone. Like at Fchat, r/c fliers are generally helpful and are eager to help. This is the best way you will learn. Don't do it by yourself...I guarantee you will crash.
    An r/c flight simulator will also help but nothing takes the place of actual flying.

You don't necessarily need AMA but if the airfield of the club you are flying is AMA sanctioned, you may need to get one later. Our airfield is not AMA sanctioned so some members are AMA members and some are not.

Ron

24. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Ron..If you use GWS receivers, please drop me an email at [email protected]. I will send you a couple of our Micro Crystals in the channel of your choice.

Peter

25. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    First off, get Real Flight or AeroFly Professional for your PC. It comes with a real type transmitter and the graphics are great. This is the best place to learn to fly. When you get that nailed down, by an ARF (Almost Ready To Fly) high-wing plane, .40-.50 engine size kit ($100) with a decent 4-channel radio ($150-$250). Buy a buddy cord so your transmitters can be linked and you can fly with an instructor who will get you out of the trouble you will get into while flying!