Fueling my 360 | FerrariChat

Fueling my 360

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by PCH, May 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Everytime I need fuel its a challenge finding the right nozzle position in the filler. Then when I think I've got it, fuel is spewing everywhere. Guess I must have had the nozzle too far out for the auto shut off...Nope, gauge only reads 3/4 full. Maybe a faulty gauge also? What's the trick? Or this a bad Italian joke like how they designed the wiper arms so you can't clean your windshield easily?

2. dpsuk999

dpsuk999 Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Leeds UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have exactly the same problem filling my 348TS, fuel spilling everywhere. The trick Ive found that works is by filling very very slowly but you end up standing there filling for about 10 mins!!! but the plus side is you get so many admiring glances and comments so its worth the time and also no fuel all over the paint work :)

3. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    However full the tank is the gauge will only have a maximum reading of 3/4. A known fault on 360's. No real concern as it is accurate at the other end of the scale.

4. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    mine reads full.

5. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    this is one area where slow and steady wins the race, I use a combination of the gauge, miles driven and tank capacity to decide when its full, aren't these cars fun :)

6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    when has any fuel gauge on any Ferrari ever been accurate?

The fuel gauge is either a crude 'g' meter, to show cornering forces, or just a funometer...the more it shows, the longer the fun lasts.

7. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Some of the early 360's have fuel guage senders that do not go to full.
    They stop with two bars left.

If you want to, go to the dealer and get a fuel sender put in.
    If it's a coupe, it's not that bad.
    Convertible is another story, the top has to come out seeing there is no access hole as in the newer convertible 360's....

8. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    There was a TSB for the fuel gauge reading issue. Check with your dealer to find out if this was fixed on your car (if you're not the first owner). I think this only pertained to cars with certain serial number range.

I got a letter from the dealer and had it fixed. The gauge will read all the way to the top now.

The only tricky fuel nozzles I've had problem with are the ones at Shell stations. Difficult to get a good angle and filling very slow. I use Chevron most of the time without difficulties, but use Shell if it's the only station around.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    MS uses Shell only!

10. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    OK, but it's not like HE had to fill up the car himself and struggle with the nozzle. :)

11. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Ferrari has a fix for the fuel gage. Mine was updated last November. But there is an issue filling the tank. When they replaced my sending unit for the fuel gage they also repaired a couple of seals in my return line for the canister purge. I don't normally have that problem anymore as I go to a particular pump at a 76 to pump 91 and 100. I am not sure if it is the pump or the problem has gone away.

12. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Obviously it's a design problem. I don't think one should have to go through this kind of exercise to fuel up. Regarding the seals in the return line, this really has nothing to do with the fueling problems. Just amazes me how Ferrari can continue to build in these problems for years without correcting them at production. And to make matters worse, WE have to repair THEIR problems at OUR expense.

13. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    so true!!!!

14. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I only have fueling problems at certain pumps. I've discovered that if I break the air seal slightly by lifting up on the rubber boot around the nozzle, it fills more easily.

btw, maybe this is the real reason there are so many Ferrari garage queens - you only have to fill up once or twice a year!

15. kirksel

kirksel Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    My fuel gauge also reads 3/4 even when it's full. I'm taking it into the dealers this weekend and they asked me to find anyone who had a`dealer fix it for free so they can reference that situation when "not charging" me. Has anyone gotten theirs fixed for free?

Thanks

16. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    i too have the problem. what i do is put the nozzle in upside down. this seems to work the best. as far as the gage, mine too never reads completely full.

17. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Mine guage reads full, but when it gets close to empty, the guage can move a little, depending on braking or accelerating. No problems filling the tank either.

Art

18. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Interestingly I have much less of a problem with my CS than I had with my regular 360. Don't know if its any different or I just naturally fill at slightly less than the max speed of the pump, but I don't get the 100shutoff/overflow with the CS like I did with the 360. No problems with the guage reading full on either, but I do enjoy the "G-meter" effect when near to empty.

19. kirksel

kirksel Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    I talked to the guy who works on my car and he told me that in early 360's, the 3/4 indication is very common. They made the float too small so it doesn't have the motion to move all the way up when the tank is full. Ferrari is aware of this, according to him - but will not repair it for free.

20. horsmanp

horsmanp Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Patrick Horsman
    How much does it cost? I heard you need a new sending unit or something like that...

21. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I hear you. My 360 was very fussy at filling stations, no gauge problems, but often it was impossible to fill the tank without the gas spitting back and triggering the automatic shutoff on the nozzle. Sometimes it was so bad I’d just have to give up and try another day. In Oregon it is against the law to fill your own car (or I suppose, someone else’s), it’s probably a job creation idea, and fine, but sometimes you would get someone who would refuse to keep pumping (safety, environment etc.), leaving me trying to get out of the state on a 1/4 of a tank.

The only thing I could think of is that it had something to do with the angle of the forecourt. If the filler neck was a touch lower than it should be, the tank was going to spit back.

With that in mind, I bet you buy your gas from the same place all the time. Try another station. Odds on, the car will take more or less gas than it currently does.

22. kirksel

kirksel Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    My local shop told me it would cost about $300 to replace it so that means Ferrari would charge around $500+. That's my guess.

23. kirksel

kirksel Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    My local guy will do it for about $250 and the dealer is about $500. Unreal given it's a design mistake on their part.