insurrance | FerrariChat

insurrance

Discussion in 'Canada' started by pmorin, May 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pmorin

pmorin Karting

May 14, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    P. Morin
    Anybody can recommend an insurrance company that would have resonnable rates to insure a Mondial cabriolet (years 1982 to 1985) that would be used as a week end driver, during summer... since I'm in Montreal.

I'm presently looking for such a car, going to look at one this week end and would like to figure adjacent costs like insurrance and maintenance before buying. :)

Patrick

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    In Toronto there is a silver wheels plan which is catered to cars 15yrs and older. My 86TR is with Lant&com....you get the car appraised and have the insurance under a 19A section. Which means the replacement value of the car will be covered via your appraisal. Ball park price is about .15cents per. So a $50,000 mondial would be around $750.00 for the yr. But there are restictions to follow, for example, no work,no malls, no holidays with the car. But if you wish to do this they will advise.
    Hope this helps.

3. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

I agree 100%, I also had a classic car with the Silver Wheels plan. Its very easy and cheap! But you can only use the car STRICKTLY for pleasure obviously. You will need an appraisal done on the car and away you go.

I should still have the number somewhere, lemme know if you need it.

Vasco.R

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Try StateFarm Insurance. Call Dwight Strong at (905)569-0700. He has insured me since I first started driving,and has given me fantastic rates. I also directed Nika to him and she also was very happy with the quote. Just tell him Tom Bakowsky told you to give him a call.

Good Luck!
    Tom

5. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

Cool, I met Nika yesterday at my dealership. Isnt she on f-chat too? Tom do you know Tony Cerbini, he works next door too.

6. 996

996 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Greater Toronto Area
    I use Chubb (via KRG) myself as they normally insure high end vehicles, but looking at the thread...maybe I'm paying too much!

My 996 is about $2700/year (for work and everyday use), and my 94 348 Spider is $2500/yr. The spider is classified as pleasure use, but they normally understand if you want to drive it to work once in a while, drive it to the mall, go to the golf club, etc. As long as you have another vehicle insured under them for normal use, they understand that on sunny days...driving your pleasure vehicle to work is very "pleasurable".
    When I had the Lotus Esprit...that was only $1800/yr as a pleasure vehicle.

Now, understand that for pleasure vehicles, you're really just insuring half the year as you don't keep the collision on during the winter...so the rates are literally half of what I posted.

KRG no longer takes new clients for auto insurance unless you're recommended...so if you'd like a quote from them...PM me and I'll refer you. Hope that helps.

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yea I know Tony!! He's a good guy. I have to call him,haven't seen him in a while...Geez I gotta get out to see you guys soon. I just can't seem make the time. Maybe I'll have to do it on a Saturday

8. pmorin

pmorin Karting

May 14, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    P. Morin
    Thanks everybody,

I have heard of Silver Wheels plans but they seem to restrictive for me. I'll give StateFarm a call. I already got what I think is a good price from BelairDirect. How does 1050$ (that is with insurring my other regular car with them also, without it would be 1200) per year sound for what I estimate would be 8000km of road use per year?

Patrick

9. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    I'm $1050 for 6 months on an '89 348 with Pilot Insurance. No limitations.

10. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    i dont have any info on insurance but i happen to remember reading in Wheels on the weekend that this was for sale... i just saw your thread that your lookin for one and thought this was good timing... they dont show up too much in the star...

88 Ferrari 2+2 convert, red on tan, 2 tops, new tires/roof/stereo, 13K AAA gem $65,000 416-937-4477

doesnt mention Mondial... but there was no other convert. model made but a Mondial... i'm not vouching for the item.. just passing on the info...

good luck...

GT

11. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    Ferrariartist,

Just checked out your web site.....very nice work!!!!
    You should consider posting some of this on the Showroom...may get some interest from guys wanting drawings of their cars.....just a thought!