Ferrari name, knockoffs | FerrariChat

Ferrari name, knockoffs

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by davewapinski, May 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davewapinski

davewapinski Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2003
    Of course I enjoy the Ferrari prestrigue (sp) and beauty.
    However, the main reason I bought the Mondial t was for the fun of driving it.
    That is why I even drive it in winter.

Several days ago I saw my first Ferrari knockoff - a "clone" of a 308. I was shocked at the poor quality. At least it had nothing on it that said Ferrari.

I could not see where the owner could get enjoyment out of driving or owning such a low quality product.

That took a fair amount of work to clone it. For what was paid, it would have gone a long way on the downpayment for a real 308.

Or the person could have saved up until he could have afforded cash which is what I did.

Why do people buy such obvious poor quality?

Are most Ferrari knockoffs of poor quality?

In Salt Lake City, there is a color film processing lab that used to be called Creative Color. They have renamed their place "Ferrari Color". They even have a horzontial red racing strip on their building. Of course there is no chance of confusing them with selling cars. However, it is obvious that they are using the Ferrari name to help sell their products.

Is this legal?

2. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Some Ferrari-Wannabees posted here are just terrible and you wonder if the car can even start, evo magazine had an article in their Feb. issue about some of the real good replicas in the U.K., Personally there will be no such thing as a "good" Ferrari replica, its still a replicar and its missing the true thing that makes a genuine Ferrari.........THE ENGINE!!!!!!!

3. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Alwx

I would agree hence me fitting a Ferrari engine in my replica :)

4. BrianTheYank

BrianTheYank Karting

May 24, 2004
    maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Some replicas of ferraris can look very nice, as long as they have the right engine to back it up. Though the Ferrari body kits people put on their jap wagons are just terrible.

5. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex

GOOD!!!! What F-car was it in originally? Very good job on the car by the way

6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Totally legal.
    The new owners are the Ferrari family from Sacramento, CA, who in the last 10 years have bought more than a dozen independent color labs in the western US. I've used their professional services for years. Never gave much thought to their name.......

The name similarity doesn't hurt, but most who buy their services are looking for color quality (as well as speed of processing!)

shutterbug

7. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Alex

Engine is from a 348

8. beast

beast F1 World Champ