Charger restoration pics | FerrariChat

Charger restoration pics

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by MoparMuscle, May 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina
    hey guys, my name is brian. I don't post here often. I just like to lurke and admire your italiana exoticas. I have a 68 charger that I'm restoring and just got some more pictures which you can see toward the bottom.

It looks like I've lost my earliest pictures in a hardrive crash but have a couple left.

2002:

Car was bought in summer of 2002 in Western North Carolina. Minor rust spots noticeable. Came with built 383 painted orange.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2003:
    The car was shipped off to Bradenton Fl. where it is currently being restored.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2004:
    The guy restoring the car just came up to pick up the wheels and dropped off these pictures. The body shots are a before and after.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and I just bought a 440 ci engine which i plan on putting a blower on before dropping it into the beast.

2. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Looks like it's coming along quite nicely. Gonna use a Roots blower? I'd like to try that new centrifugal system they have out.

Now when your done with that, how about you come over and restore my Dart? :D

3. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina

roots blower is the only way to go :D I plan on getting a cuda or challenger after I finish the 440 and put the 383 in it. After that's done then maybe I'll have some time for your dart :D

4. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
    mm mmmmmm mopar.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Why the 440 ... the 383 is a better hp producing motor, from what I have heard.

Have fun, and it does look like it is coming along nicely. I wonder if an original one of these things still exists or does everybody hot them up?

Pete

6. mrdigital

mrdigital Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Nashville
    You have heard wrong.
    The 440 is a better motor.
    I can give you more detail if you like.
    I've had big block chevys and there is something about
    a big block mopar that just feels better.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Interesting as I have heard this many times. Maybe I am confusing Mopar engines. I am not taking about the hemi, just the 440.

Apparently the 383 revs better, and can usually make up for its size deficite.

But heh I'm no v8 expert, just what the powerboat guys told me ... and also the guys that wanted to hot up my fathers Jensen Intercepter (that comes genuinely with a 383 ...).

Pete

8. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Stock for stock, the 440 will take the 383 every time, all things considered. Size nonwithstanding, the big block Chrysler V8 is an excellent motor.

As for your other question, I think it's safe to say that there are more original or concours restored Chrysler muscle cars per number surviving than either Chevrolet or Ford.

9. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina
    Yeah the 440 is a superior motor for sure. The only thing that I could possibly think of the 383 being better is that its lighter, but I can't imagine it being much. I've also heard that the 440 is better in a straight line (i.e. drag racing) than the all powerful hemi. The hemi is geared better for top end, which is why it was used in nascar. This is all new to me and I'm learning more about it every day. As I stated in an earlier post, the 383 will not be just sitting around. after I build the 440, I want to drop the 383 in something else- cuda or challenger. But that will be later, I want to enjoy the 383 while its in the charger and build the 440 right. ;)

And to answer your other question, it seems most chargers at dodge-charger.com are in fact original. It seems a lot of mopar guys don't like custom jobs and they stick with original, even down to the wheels. I myself think that it doesn't matter if its custom, its another mopar on the road, right? My car is custom, as you can see so the engine isn't the usual orange and I'm using the rear-end of a ford and this way I can put disc brakes all around. I'm putting some contemporary wheels on it but they maintain that vintage look at the same time. The rear wheels will be 335 mm wide (13.1 inches) Definitely not stock :D I'm going to paint the car electron blue and add a white stripe around the tail. Lastly, the interior I have not decided on what to do with it. Either keep it stock or go custom. Although I do want to add a/c :D

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree a good motor. Funny that my information is so wrong, because I definitely got the impression that a 383 would take a 440 ... especially from the powerboat guy who could never get the 440 to work. Guess this guy needs to fly over to the good old USA to learn how to put one together :D

Cool great cars ... amazed that there are any left after the Dukes of Hazard destroyed so many ;)

Pete

11. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    By the way, if you have any pictures of the Jensen, I'd sure like to see them. :D

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    My father has sold this car unfortunately. Only a couple of years ago. I really appreciated that car. 50/50 weight distribution, good grunt thanks to the 383 (although it could not drive past a service station ;)). Although the rear suspension is only left sprung it does have a panhard rod and handled very well.

It did weigh lots but was a good tourer. I think I did more miles in this car than Dad did ;) ...

Got puller over by a cop once for 20 mph over the speed limit and for the first time in my life I only got a warning. Told that even though it was a fast and capable car to keep it down ... :D :D ... can't complain about that!

Pete