PROPER OIL CHECK 348? | FerrariChat

PROPER OIL CHECK 348?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, May 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Did a search as to not illistrate my complete ignorance, however, conflicting answers came back.

WHEN CHECKING THE DRY SUMP 348 (are not all 348's dry sump?) DO YOU DO SO WITH THE CAR WARM AND IN IDLE OR JUST AFTER WARMING THE OIL WITH THE ENGINE OFF

2. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Just after warming with engine off.

3. 0123

0123 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    All 348s have a dry sump lubrication system.

As for checking the oil, you must check it with the engine warm or at running temperature. If you check it cold, you will most likely see no oil on the stick. As for whether the engine is running or not, you can do it either way. My mechanic at my dealership told me it was better to do it while the engine was running, but I do it both ways. Also, the oil cap gets very hot. You will need a rag to open and hold it when checking your oil.

4. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Yeah after 10 responses, you'll still probably not know. I think one way is enough on a simple question like this, the book says warm it up, shut it off then check it immediatley.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I check mine with the engine running.

6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    We've been over this many times now, but once more....

The engine should ideally be at 80 degrees centigrade of OIL temp, switched off and then checked within 15 seconds or so. (Basically exactly the same as all the wet sump cars too...this method makes for total fool proof servicing, as all cars are identical method. At least, that's the way I do it, and tell trainee's to do it, and it's worked for 17 years so far....)

If you have it running, you most likely WILL have an accurate reading, BUT it is POSSIBLE on MANY dry sump models, to get a rogue splash of return oil on the stick, confusing your reading into showing a good level when it may be low. 360's in particualr are bad for this, as are early T'rossas'.

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Rogue splash of oil ?!? Wow, that explains my oily complexion lately.

Seriously though, that's a good point... I never thought of that. Thanks!

-Daniel

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    As for the splash of oil. That is why you pull the dipstick out, wipe it, put it back in, pull it out, THEN check to see what it says.

9. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    No Ernie. That's wrong I'm afraid. If the engine is running, you can get the returning oil splashing at any time. The only way to stop the oil returning is to stop the pump. The only way to stop the pump is to turn the engine off.

I repeat, it is quite likely that you get an accurate reading with it running, but you may notice that if you dip it 3 times it appears different each time.

10. 0123

0123 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    I have both a 348 and a 360. The owner's manual for the 348 states that the oil level should be checked with an engine temp greater than 70 degrees immediately after the engine is shut off. The 360 manual states "with the engine idling, unscrew the tank (oil) cap" and check the oil level.

I have been checking my engine oil in my 348 for 12 years or so with the engine idling. As I said in my original post, my mechanic, the shop formen at my local Ferrari dealership, told me that checking the oil while the engine is running is the best way to check your oil in a dry sump setup.

As for the "splash of oil," I think a splash of oil is going to look like splattered oil on the dip stick not just a higher level of oil on the dip stick. I have never noticed a problem checking the 348 with the engine idling. I feel that checking the oil with the engine idling gives the most accurate level, and I have checked my oil 2 or 3 time at one time to make sure the level is accurate.

11. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    Personally, I check the level while the engine is running at idle, and at operating temp. I feel it is the most accurate.

As for the splash, you may be correct, but I always double/triple check the result on the stick and have NEVER had an issue with incorrect readings.

The main reason the owners manual tells you to check immediatly after engine shutdown is for safety. Some feel it is not a good idea to have the customer checking oil on a running engine.
    honestly, both methods are accurate ways to check.

For an inexperienced or unsure customer, I would suggest the engine off method. It is accurate enough as well as safe.

best regards, jim