Has anyone here owned or driven an AM Vanquish? | FerrariChat

Has anyone here owned or driven an AM Vanquish?

Discussion in 'British' started by ryalex, May 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    We've read the magazines comparing it to the 550/575, but I was wondering if anyone had any impressions about it from their own experience. In many ways I think it's better looking than the 550, but I wanted to hear about how it *felt* from a driver's perspective and how it performed.

Will a child fit in the 2+2 jumpseats? Would anyone consider it instead of a 612?

2. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    how about pics? please

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

The brother in law of one of my customers is also in charge of our detail shop.

He just drove across Canada from Toronto back to Calgary a few months ago in their new Vanquish. He's still talking about it....I've seen the car and it's presence on the curb is awesome.

Haven't begged a ride yet.....but the torque was described as smooth and powerful at any speed. Electric motor like......always there......

Interesting comment from the owner too...he feels the next step up the supercar food chain is a Ferrari.

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #4 writerguy, May 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Drove one and it's faster than I thought, didn't feel like a 007 though. :)

6. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I agree it has a lot of presence... I've only ever seen a Vanquish twice, driving by - and while a 550 gets an "Oh! Oh! Hey, a Ferrari!" - when you see a Vanquish rolling by you hold your breath to focus completely on the car.

That is an interesting comment, see as they are still *asking* the same price as a 575 and even some used Murcielagos. Which Ferrari does he mean?

I understand that their market position is to be a little more GT than the Ferrari line... obviously his pleasure in a cross-Canada drive shows this strength.

Some other great colors, from the DuPont registry:

7. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I finally saw one a month ago when we were in vacation in CA. Same greenish grey color as writerguy's pic, in Beverly Hills, with some kid getting out of it. I'd have to say that for the same money (575/Vanquish/Murci), it would be a tough decision to pick anything other than the Vanquish. It is breathtaking, IMO.

8. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The DB9 has similar looks and performance for 75k less. Both are beautiful cars and the interiors are worlds above ferraris. They are however more GT than sports but that is just fine with me.

9. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    To me, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, cost being quite similar, to buy a 460-hp Aston over a 515-hp Ferrari. The Aston is a very nice looking car, but I think you get more for your money with the Ferrari.

I know someone who has a DB-7, and wanted to add another car to his stable. His first test drive was in the Vanquish. His second test drive was in a 575. He took delivery of his metallic black 575 about a month ago!

10. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    As it has been said many times here, HP isn't everything. The 550/575 body has been around since 97 and is due for a change. A 97 can be had for less than 100k where as the Vanquish is barely below 200. These aren't exactly track cars so the HP difference wouldn't matter to me.

11. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Okay, so aside from the horsepower difference, what else is important to you? Having asked that, does the Aston beat the 575 in ANY category?

Also, the new DB9 looks so much like the Vanquish that I am wondering how they will ever sell any more Vanquishes after the DB9 is released.

12. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Right on the money kiz...

The Vanquish is very breathtaking but the DB9 and even the Porsche rival AMV8 all look the same to me. Never driven a Vanquish but had one tag along in a cruise with me while I was driving a Maranello. 575's engine sounds beautiful, but while both in idle the exhaust on AM is beyond awesome. Not that me and this other gentlemen are serious racers but the 575 pulled away everytime. For $25K more than a 575M, when both are new, really doesn't seem worth it. I do not think either has an advantage in looks: 575 a beautiful blend of old with a 250 GTO and Daytona. The Vanquish a beefed up modern pride of English GT style with the soul of all the old LeMans racers in it. Ferrari really has that feeling of passion behind the wheel and symbol. I would guess peolpe go home running they saw a Ferrari on the road more so than an Aston. Hold the wheel of a Ferrari one imagines Enzo, all those crazy F1 pilots risking their life, a sea of red. AM would feel more like a proper Englishman who shook off his tractor manufacturing roots ( which is what both Aston and Lambo started off, ) to proove to his fellow Brits his ego can match his car skills. Today, AM seems more like a car for successful CEO types on the verge of retirement and kickbacks. As mentioned, never driven one but behind the wheel of the Fcar you feel passion and while sitting in a few AMs at the dealer, felt more like this would be a great car to purchase once I establish my business. Besides, I keep thinking this is the coolest Ford ever when I see the Astons. As with everyone, would say I want both. If had to choose just one, Ferrari all the way.

RocketBoy

I am looking forward to AMV8 arriving in showrooms and would seriously consider that as a "serious man's" alternative to a 911 or beat around Ferrari.

13. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Will a child fit in the 2+2 jumpseats? Would anyone consider it instead of a 612?

14. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I have never sat in the back of a Vanquish, but I have sat in the back of a 612. At 6'-2", I was surprised how well I fit back there. Much better than the 456. I'd be surprised if the Aston's back seats are anything more than just extra storage spaces.

15. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think the Vanquish looks better, sounds way better and the interior quality/finish is far superior. Being a Ferrari owner, I think the cheap interiors are an insult for 200kplus cars. When I was looking for a 550, it was common to see dash's pulling up and bolster wear on the seats. This shouldn't happen on 5 and 10kmile cars. The 612 looks much better though. The DB9's interior is even better than the Vanquish.

16. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The back seats are definately not usable in the Vanquish except small kids.

17. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Where is it stated Aston-Martin started as a tractor company? I didnt see that anywhere. And besides that dumb argument is really getting old in regards to Lambo's. There is no crime or no shame in having a successful Business of that nature. And Aston-Martins started racing from the get go, hence the reason Martin adopted the Aston name, from the Aston Clintozi Hill Climb at which Lionel Martin's cars had great success.

Ryalex are you the owner of that watch maker or is that just a coincidance? I would choose the Vanquish anyday over a 612. Plus the Vanquish is getting a new interior and a bump in horsepower to at least 500 if that concerns you also.

18. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

ryalex.....

I don't know which F-car actually......he could afford an Enzo or two easily.....but whatever is next and new in 5-10 years or so I imagine.

Wondered a lot about that F-car comment too......it'd have to be something really special I imagine.

19. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That would be all I'd ever need it for anyway - kids and groceries. With the first kinder on the way, this is an idea. Of course, there's no income yet to support the car.

LotusTT: The watch company was my father's. He did well for a while, high end stuff with Tourbillon movement, but then got litigated out of business by Rolex for infringement. Now he's based his manufacturing out of China and produces a line called Folex.

Just yankin your chain. No, I'm just a student with a copy of Photoshop. I made that from an image off the Rolex website. That you believed it is a fine compliment!

Yeah, nobody knocks Berkshire Hathaway cause it used to be a textile company, eh?!

20. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    LotusTT,

Following the war, when Aston was suffering, they were bought by David Brown who was a well known tractor manufacturer all over Europe. Do not know the exact date, would guess 46, 47? And I do not associate the car quality and build today 100% with the production of mass market vehicles. My argument is this: I think Ferrari ownership has a direct link with Enzo and the impression of the sounds of F1. The same with Zonda having the amazing design feeling of a behind a computer and calculator hopeful and dedicated Horacio Pagani. I think most people who purchase these cars definitely look beyond just stats and factor in history, and thier own visions and dreams of the cars growing up. As with Lotus, would a wild metallic orange color in the outgoing Esprit be a more suitable color than the traditional racing green? Those Orange cars are pretty hot right now but when you think of Lotus is that the first thing you would factor in? If I purchased one I would conjure up thoughts of Clark and Stewart rather than if it could fit my golf clubs in the bonnet. In my response to this question I state that to me and the majority, a Ferrari has more presence than the Aston Martin and the up comming DB9 will make the Vanquish seem like a costly upgrade for little.

RocketBoy

21. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    awsome car, best color is the silverish color...

and i dont even think very small children could fit in the back seats... even with the front seats pretty far up, there is only about a 3" inch gap from the back seat to the front... however there is an option to delete the rear seats and make it a 2 seater only

22. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA
    This will probably earn a few flames, but why would Aston Martin invoke thoughts of "the greatest Ford ever" yet Ferrari doesnt invoke thoughts of "the greatest Fiat ever"?

None of these companies could survive today without an executive sponsor and it looks bad for Ferrari (IMHO) when owners start resorting to slams against the corporate structure (started as a truck company, owned by Ford, whatever) as an objective argument.

Let's put a different spin on it. The Ford owned Aston Martin is a super exotic that you can actually live with without it being constantly in the shop and costing a mint to service. Even with the V12 Ferraris, I dont think the same statement can be made.

I only have annecdotal evidence (word of mouth) but from what I understand, modern Astons are significantly easier to live with than any Italian.

23. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    There was a beautiful Vanquish at the Newport Bentley dealership this last weekend. My friend was purchasing a Bentley Continental (had a 456 previously) but needs the backseat for his young daughter. The Vanquish not only sounded terrific, it was absolutely beautiful. Upon saying all that, I still think I would prefer a 575 over it.

24. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Just becuase david brown owned a tractor company does not make one aston martin a tractor company. David brown owned many companies. Aston martin has a lot of race history and way before ferrari as well but ferrari has always been well funded and obvious is still racing today.

25. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Exactly!