Mt Diablo drive on Memorial Day? | FerrariChat

Mt Diablo drive on Memorial Day?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Dave_Car_Guy, May 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave_Car_Guy

Dave_Car_Guy Karting

Apr 24, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm a newby here. Live in Danville, Ca and looking to take the F355 out on Memorial Day for a spin around the East side of Mt. Diablo (I'm starting from Danville and taking Camino Tassajara East to Highland to Morgan Territory to Marsh Creek into Clayton and then back). Anyone from Pleasanton to Danville/Alamo and up into Walnut Creek and Clayton want to join in an early morning run that day?

2. storminnormin

storminnormin Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2002
    California
    I live in SF, and would love to join you that weekend but unfortunately will be out of town. Sounds like a good drive though. Perhaps we could get some of the other regulars to do your route. Do you know a good breakfast place with good parking somewhere along that route?
    Norm

3. ART360

ART360 Guest

I'm visiting my vacationing 360 in Ashland this weekend, but after August 10th, I'll be around.

Art

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Sounds like a good idea. Firm detaisl in mind?

--Dan

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Art: been to the shakespear festival up there? Cool stuff indeed!

--Dan

6. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    How early? I'm game

I'm out of Sacramento area, I'm used to making commutes to San Jose now and then. Alamo/Danville is not far at all.

It would be great if we could get a good turnout.

- Gabe

7. Dave_Car_Guy

Dave_Car_Guy Karting

Apr 24, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Looks like a couple takers...that's great, but now it looks like I've been co-opted to do something else that Monday morning. I'm going to have to put off this drive for a couple of weeks.

As far as what we might do, I figured we could meet in Danville off Tassajara Road (near Blackhawk?) around 8:00 a.m., drive Tassajara Road, Morgan Territiry, and Marsh Creek, getting to Clayton around 8:45 a.m. Breakfast or coffee there and return by 11:00 am. Road is a bit narrow but parts of it are great.

Alternative would be a ride from either Lafayette or Martinez through Alhambra Valley Road or Happy Valley Road then on Bear Creek Road and Grizzly Peak near Tilden Park in Berkeley. Or From Moraga down Grizzly Peak and onto Skyline Blvd.? 2 hrs or so.

If you really want to branch out and take a half-day (Peninsula people out there?) we could do Hwy 35 (Skyline) South from San Mateo (@ Hwy 92) down to "4 Corners" in La Honda and onto Hwy 84 West out to Pescadero Beach. That has got to be my favorite drive in the world. Hwy 35 has the banked, tighter twists through the pine trees and Hwy 84 has the wide sweepers through the farm-pasture to the beach. 2.5 hrs or so round trip.

I'm open to feedback.

8. ART360

ART360 Guest

Dan:

GOt tickets to Henry VI for Sat Night. However, main reason is a little drive to the coast, get to use my new Valentine1. Two more months and the 360 is back in California.

Art

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Should be fun. And good on you for buying a V1 :D

We are anxiously awaiting...

--Dan

10. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Dave, that is ironic: I live 2 blocks from the Blackhawk Plaza off of Camino Tassajara. I also have a red 355 Spider. Last year I only was able to put on 1500 miles as I was insanely busy. I think that I saw your car at the 24 Fitness about 1 month ago.

One option for breakfast is the Courtyard Cafe in Alamo or perhaps Valley Medalenes (sp?) on Danville Boulavard.

The drive you mention is awesome. The only rub is there are a TON of local police along Camino Tassajara. The speed limit is 45 (everyone does 55+) and you will see motorcycle cops hiding behind signs, or on the other side of the road, with their Instant on KA band or Laser. Every morning on the way to work someone is pulled over. They are always around a bend so you are sitting duck. It is like shooting fish in a barrel.

One more ticket from those SOBs and I will be SOL (ie, 2 points on your record and your insurance premium doubles). I have to behave for 5 more months and I will again be eligible for Traffic School.

I am taking the boat out this weekend so I am out. However, let me know on a date and I will surely join in.

11. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I am in Alamo and would be up for a drive around the back side of Mt. D. Have not been that way for a long time. Sounds like fun. Please keep me posted on the details

Tony