Randy Aust seriously injured... | FerrariChat

Randy Aust seriously injured...

Discussion in 'Texas' started by maranelloman, May 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

I have debated for several days whether to post this...but here it is.

Many of you know Randy as the DFW area enthusiast with the lime-green 348 Challenge. He also has a lovely blue 1985 Mondial coupe. He regularly instructs at many of the same track events at MSR & TWS that I do.

He was seriously injured last Sunday afternoon in a motorcycle accident on his older BMW motorcycle, while on a large enthusiasts' drive near Ft. Worth. His wife, Linda, called me to tell me about this, as his friend.

It is unclear exactly what happened, but something caused his motorcycle to lose grip in a medium-speed curve, and it came out from under him. Those riding with him say there was no other vehicle, animal, etc. involved, and the speeds were moderate & appropriate in that curve. He was thrown & rolled heavily.

At any rate, Randy (thankfully, as always) was wearing a helmet. So he is fine "upstairs", except for an abraided ear. He has a number of broken bones, including the clavicle, and ribs, which caused the puncture of a lung. Due to this, he lost a lot of blood internally. He also has a number of other non-trivial injuries.

None of this is life threatening. Randy is awake & alert, and is totally aware of what is going on around him, although he does not remember anything from Sunday thru Tuesday. He is still in the trauma unit at JPS Hospital in Ft. Worth, and is already receiving physical therapy. Most of the tubes in him (breathing, renal, plasma, etc.) will be removed very soon. It is unclear how soon he will leave the trauma unit, as of yesterday.

randy will have a long road to full recovery...but he will make a full one. His doctors are extremely impressed with his progress already, and his will & spirit are huge, as many of you know.

Linda has asked that nothing be sent to him at JPS, since it is unlikely to find him, as he is moved into & out of various units. Instead, she asked that folks wait until she is able to take Randy home.

Randy is my good friend. I am blessed to have him as my friend, and have always felt this way since I got to know him. I post this for many of the rest of you who can say the same thing.

Thanks for reading, and for keeping good wishes for Randy in your heart.

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Good of you to post this - name and situation have been committed to memory... for goodness sake.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I love motorcycles more than cars, even Ferraris. But there does come a time.

Take care, Dale

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    My prayers are with him & his family. God Bless

William Huber

5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Best wishes.

100% recovery. With plenty of smiles and miles to follow.

6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Dale:

They did a write up in one of those English Motorcycle rags. It was all about
    old farts riding organ donor bikes in their 70's. Imagine pulling into a Luby's
    with a Carbon Fibre off-road exhaust and Power Commander II chip ? That
    would definately be the ticket to picking up the best hotties.

(ART) ?

7. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

Glad to hear he will recover. Motorcycle accidents are always scary. He was at our Poker Run on Saturday. Now that is an enthusiast! 2 days in a row on rallys.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This is hard to hear. Randy is maybe one of the most active driving instructors in the state. He's instructing with any of the major organizations or privately almost every weekend. He hosted me out at MSR in the 355 C before I got my membership. He's one of the nicest guys you'll meet.

He did participate in the Poker Run. Nice enough to give Manuel’s son a ride all day. He was also one of the last to leave hanging out with us by the lake.

I wish Randy a speedy recovery.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Speedy308 wants to wish him a speedy recovery also!

Thanks, Dave.

Prayer works, you know, even after the skid! ;)

10. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I wish him a speedy recovery.

jerry

11. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Thanks, everyone. I will pass on all of your kind wishes!!

12. Manny

Manny Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Manuel
    I wish Randy a speedy recovery. I am glad that he is doing good now. Please let us know when we may go and visit him and where. I will tell my son now and I am sure he would like to see him. It was his first time in a Ferrari @ the Poker Run and he does not stop telling us how nice Randy was with him and what a great time he had.

The Best to You Randy!

Manuel

13. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I've only seen pictures of his car and him driving around TWS. Unfortunately I have yet to meet him but have heard many great things about him. Best wishes to a speedy recovery.

14. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I didn't get to meet him Saturday with the exception speaking to him at the stoplights. During the first leg of the poker run, Randy was the only person that took the correct route. Manuel was just trying to keep up with him while I was taking photos. I never witnessed anyone drive a Mondial with that much skill in traffic.

15. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Yup, he sure can drive.

Here's an update: I spoke with Linda this evening. Randy is doing MUCH better. Had the hospital not been short of regular rooms, he would have been moved out of the trauma unit today. Lungs are almost clear of fluid, after 3 transfusions (!!) and a drain tube. Lots & lots of bruising. 100% mental faculties & movement, so far. He is back to being a feisty smart ass, a really good sign. Asked about the damage to the bike! ;-) Linda hopes he'll be coming home sometime next week.

-Dave

16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    That's good to hear.

17. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I have made a decision that just may save someone’s life. Tomorrow morning I will give blood in his name. Even if he doesn’t need it, someone else will.

18. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

This is a wonderful decision, Will. We all should do so. Do it in honor of Randy Aust, John Peter Smith County Hospital, Ft. Worth.

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Whisper this to him: "Sell the bike, buy ANOTHER Ferrari."

Speedy308 ;)

20. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I just got back from JPS, Randy looks like he was very lucky. I told him everyone on Fchat gives him their best. He still can't remember what had happened but at least he's being taken out of ICU. I’m still donating blood in his name on Tuesday; but I’ll need some for this weekend. I'm heading out to Paris, TX for a SCCA rally event as I type this. Everyone have a safe & happy weekend.

21. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Wish him for speedy & comfortable recovery.

His Mondial was fast & quick at the Run.

Hope he'll make our next event here.

22. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

From Linda, Randy's wife:

Randy is much better, and is now out of ICU and in the Telemetry Unit. He is supposed to have his chest tube out today. He will probably come home Tuesday give or take a day. Thanks for all the visits, good wishes, cards and help! I'll let you know when he comes home for sure. Thanks again. Linda

23. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    We don't know each other but my wishes and prayers and hopes for Randy to recover to 100%. Randy has always given advice and been a great fellow chatter, please tell him the FChat community sends wishes for a speedy recovery.

24. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Hi All
    Randy is home. It's Monday the 31st and he came home around noon. He walks with a cane and is now a crooked man with a crooked walk, but they expect complete recovery. It will take 4-6 weeks aned he is one lucky fellow. The chest tube came out yesterday, and chest xray looked good, so his bruised body is now on the sofa. Thanks again for all the good wishes, prayers, and support. You are the best. LOL, Linda