Alfa import exemption/Dick Merritt's email | FerrariChat

Alfa import exemption/Dick Merritt's email

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by snj5, May 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I remember somewhere that there might be an individual one-time import exemption for a Euro-spec car. Does anyone have info on this or Dick Merritt's email at DOT so I can ask?
    If possible, I'm cashing mine in on an Alfa 8C Competizione. Yes, I know it's daft.

many thanks
    rt

2. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    wow that is a VERY beautiful car. I can see why you like it.
    Don't they have a "show or exhibit" thing where you can bring it in & limit driving to 1000-1500 miles a year?

3. Lindej

Lindej Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan T. Linde
    It's called a "show or display" exemption, but (a) it doesn't appear that easy to get and (b) it only allows you to drive 2,500 miles per year. In approving an application for such an exemption, NHTSA looks to: (1) whether a vehicle of the same make, model, and model year was manufactured and certified for sale in the United States; (2) whether a vehicle of the same make, model, and model year has been determined eligible for importation pursuant to 49 CFR Part 593; (3) whether the vehicle is currently in production, (4) whether more than 500 of the vehicles were produced and (5) whether the vehicle is a kit car, replica, or special construction vehicle. If the answer to any of these questions is "yes," than "you should not expect NHTSA to grant permission for importation." The biggest issues with regard to the ALfa are that it will be in production at the time you seek to import it and I expect production will top 500 by quite a bit. My sense is that the exemption is really for historically important cars that were manufactured after 1967 (or whenever the epa laws took effect), not so much cars that are in current production. (For intance, the application requires a narrative explanation of the historical and technical significance of the car.) This doesn't mean, though, that you couldn't import it and have it converted for US road use, although such an effort would be expensive since it would presumably be the first or one of the first to be converted. Here are the links to the relevant applications:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ShowDisplay/ApplShowDisplay.pdf

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ShowDisplay/determineelig.pdf

Here's the link to the applicable Federal Register Notice:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ShowDisplay/ShowDisplay.pdf

It appears that Mclaren F1's and Mercedes CLK-GTR's have been successfully brought in under the program, but things like the Lotus 340R Elise S1's have been rejected.

Hope this isn't too long an explanation, but it's an interesting topic. Cheers, Jon (If I have time, I'll try to find a completed application to see how cumbersome it is - I can e-mail it to you directly.)

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Jon
    Many thanks!
    Yes, Alfa is projecting to make 1000 of the 8Cs; Will have to dig a bit further for federalization. As long as I don't have to run it into a wall.....
    Is Amerispec still in business?
    thanks again
    Russ

5. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Russ, you better make it to "CiaoBaby's" BBQ on Monday...hell it's even in VA, so you can't use the MD excuse anymore!

:)

LS

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    LS

Will see what I can do... :)

rt

7. Lindej

Lindej Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan T. Linde
    On Amerispec, i think they are definitely still in business.

8. Lindej

Lindej Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan T. Linde
    Also, Russ, is that your AT-6 in your avatar? That would be a nice toy to go along with the Mondial. Cheers, Jon

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Yes, that is me flying over Pensacola Bay in the SNJ-5 (Navy spec AT-6D) I kept at Milton while stationed at Eglin. Flew it for 9 years before I moved overseas, but now that I am back will be prowling around for another.
    The SNJ was cheaper to maintain than the Ferrari, but harder to drive to work... :)

best
    rt

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You were probably flying over my mother's house. I hope you waved. :)

11. muma

muma Rookie

Jun 20, 2004
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    Page Thomas
    snj5,

Di d you ever get in contact with Dick M? what was his take on your chances? Curious.

Page (muma)

new Fchat member..

12. boxerboy2

boxerboy2 Rookie

Feb 8, 2004
    its dick fritz and yes he is still in the business

13. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I've got Dick Merritt's contact info. PM me if you're interested.

He's a real cool and a genuine car enthusiast. Let's hope he doesn't retire like he's been threatening to do.

LS