Restyled 612? | FerrariChat

Restyled 612?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Cavallini, May 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I just read an email newsletter from AutoExpress which claimed to have photos of a restyled 612, as well as real pics of the new Modena.

Has anyone heard about a restyling?

Forza,

Cavallini

2. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    I think the article just means that the next-gen 360 will have styling cues from the new 612, not that the 612 itself would be restyled...

3. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

It specifically said "restyled 612" and "spy shots of the next Modena."

I'm surprised they heard about it before anyone hear has. I would bet they redid the back-end. That's the weak point on the car.

Forza,

Cavallini

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You must be refering to a different 612 that I have seen. From the windscreen FORWARD needs restyling IMO, and the scollop in the side needs to be REAL and thus deeper.

Back looks fine to me (? puzzled).

Pete

5. Neals

Neals Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    Hong Kong/UK
    Full Name:
    Neal Stow
    This is the article:

Scaglietti Restyle For 360

The controversy over the design of the 612 Scaglietti is still rumbling on, but Ferrari fans had better get used to it - because Auto Express magazine can reveal the bold styling is set to spread.

The mag's exclusive spy shots give the clearest glimpse yet of the replacement for the 360 Modena. And under the plastic disguise are striking headlamps and a daring new look similar to that of its big brother, the 612. Seen in the mag outside the Maranello factory in Italy, the newcomer has kept the overall shape of its predecessor, but is likely to have more dramatic detailing.

As well as the new headlights, the front will be dominated by reshaped air intakes and a more pointed nose. The rear disguise didn't fool our spies, either, as insiders have told us it will get a more muscular shape than that of the 360. Styling house Pininfarina has kept the trademark round rear lamps, while the bulge between them is thought to hide a spoiler which only pops up at speed. A similar hump was seen on the original Enzo prototype.

Under the glass engine cover is a mighty 4.2-litre V8 powerplant, which will deliver 450bhp and give the Ferrari the performance it needs to take on Lamborghini's V10 Gallardo. While the logical name for the 360M's replacement is the 420M (after the engine size), there's some confusion as Ferrari has recently trademarked 430M.

Whatever it's called, the coupé version of the new Ferrari is expected to debut early in 2005, with first deliveries next summer. A year later, the convertible Spider will go on sale, and it's tipped to feature a retractable metal hard-top - a first for Ferrari. Chris Thorp

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    This comment sounds right then ... ie. the 420 will borrow styling cues from the 612. Not sure what they mean, ie. headlights, er. the 420 headlights look more like the Enzo's than the 612 to me ...

Pete

7. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Yeah, the article leaves a lot of questions unanswered. Personally, I don't hate the 612's styling nearly as much as most people. But for me, it's also not an instant love affair with the aesthetics, in contrast to the drop dead gorgeous DB9. Hopefully, any family resemblance will be kept at a minimum - I like the way how they are currently so dramatically different from each other.

8. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Many thanks for clearing up the confusion.

Forza,

Cavallini