550 tank capacity | FerrariChat

550 tank capacity

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bobafett, May 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    And so it continues. Lee: I will never understand how you did it (29.556g).

I tanked up as much as I possibly could (gas pouring back out slowly, etc.) and the guage went to ~7/8ths mark.

Drove as much as I could (at 360 miles, slowdown light started flashing (means it's misfiring) - definite loss of power on 280 before then as you go downhill a bit, and regain as you go uphill).

So at 360.8 miles, I managed to tank up 28.2g for $70. I kept a 2 gallon reserve in the trunk just in case.

So, that said, ~12 miles. This includes a few things: 1) I drive ~95 ont he freeway on average. I also redline the car here and there, but generally short-shift around town @ 3500 rpm. 2) In the last 40 miles, I put on a bike rack. Aero differences are noticeable. 3) This happened over many drives, not one of Bart's LA-Vegas and back trips.

--Dan

2. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Me, I have never been able to get more than 22 gallons into my beast. The gauge was on empty and the light was on the little thing-a-ma-bob showing I was out of gas.

Say, you did some real testing. Me, I am too scared to run out of gas. I can get to Las Vegas on a tank, also San Diego but not San Francisco. I have not tried Phoenix yet.

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Bart: my estimate is that thr reserve light comes on at around 200 miles, suggesting that you have anywhere from 8 to 10 gallons of fuel left. At around 12mpg, that's a good distance more you can go.

You tend to do the most driving of all of us, so I'm curious to see what kind of results you get. I will send you a jerry can! :D

--Dan

4. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    The max I managed to fill in is 99.19L.
    1 US gallon being 3.7854118 liters, this means 26.2 gallons, still far from you guys (I am sure I beat you guys in SUV land on the $$ amount, but that's another story).
    In a bit more than 2000 miles (commuting, travelling, blasting), I averaged 17.37L/100km, which is 13.5mpg
    Saw relatively minor mileage variations between driving patterns.
    Still the gauge is a lot more reliable than my 355's which still has a good 8 gallons left when the needle indicates flat empty.

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    JC: Mine is flat empty at 200miles too. Good to know...

--Dan

6. jaticker

jaticker Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    tampa
    Full Name:
    John Annis
    So, does the tank hold 25 or 30 gallons ? Or what ?

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Just drive the damn thing. Dan was having problems back in the day.

However, I wouldn't trust the gauges. I never did.

Dale

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I couldn't go a day before seeing the gremlin pop up!

9. jaticker

jaticker Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    tampa
    Full Name:
    John Annis
    Somebody must have spent many hours to figure out this worthless piece of data. Share it with the rest of us. Please