Replacement of Fluids: Before or After Storage? | FerrariChat

Replacement of Fluids: Before or After Storage?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ghost, May 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I was reading up on some of the archive materials and noted that some people suggested replacing fluids prior to the car going into storage for the winter (I assume so as to keep the car "clean" while she sits), while others suggested doing so after (I assume so as to give the car a fresh set of fluids prior to running it for the summer).

What do you do? And does it make sense to satisfy both sides (and yourself) by doing it both before and after, assuming a five-six month storage period?

Also, what "fluids" do you guys typically replace? Anything other than oil, transmission and brake?

Next winter will be my first winter storage, so just wanted to get people's thoughts, to allow me to prep.

2. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Drain and refill coolant , empty fuel tanks, or add fuel preservative, change oil and trans oil after storage, before startup.

3. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I disagree with the above. This thread is likely to be a discussion of reasons and you can make your own decision. You're not likely to find out much now that you didn't already see in the search you mentioned...

Change any lubricants you're inclined to change (especially the engine oil) before storage. Engine oil becomes acidic in use, so you wouldn't want to leave it sitting in the car for an extra 6 months. So do start & run the car after the oil change to dilute the old oil that was clinging to engine parts, etc. Come spring time, the first time you run the car you'll evaporate any condensation that may have gathered over the winter and motor oil won't degrade just sitting in the crankcase.
    Brake fluid is probably best changed in the spring to purge any water that it may have been able to absorb before use.
    Oh, and change the washer fluid in the spring, too! You wouldn't want all that stuff to evaporate on you over the winter! :)

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    It's comments like these that are very helpful, as they are not immediately apparent to neophyte's like myself. Thank you.