My 1996 Impala SS had better braking than a F40???? | FerrariChat

My 1996 Impala SS had better braking than a F40????

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96impalaSS, May 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was going through Ferrari brake times and I was shocked at how many of them were worse than my old Impala. It did it in 120 feet. Better than a F40, 355, 348, 512TR, TR, and only 1 foot shy of the F50. . I guess they put some good brakes on my Impala SS then since it was such a heavy car.

Some one please say it aint so!

2. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

It ain't so.

Just don't ask the Impala to do it more than once.

3. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    My C36 does it in 114 ft. :D

4. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Probably not, but your girlfriend looks a heck of alot better than those of most F40 drivers.

:)

5. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yeah, post some more naked pics :D

6. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    one of the mags that did a comparo of a caddy srx, a cayenne S, a BMW X5 and a few others said that the cayenne S outbraked the GT3...I guess abs systems really equalize the playing field for a one shot deal?

7. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    What did you do? Put a set of race brakes?

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Oops ... ABS does not make a car brake quicker. A common misconception. ABS is designed to stop a wheel skidding, which makes stopping distances longer. Thus on a perfectly dry road with good brakes and used PROPERLY a NON-ABS car will stop just as quickly as an ABS car.

Add rain or variable roads and IDIOT drivers and the ABS system will stop quicker on average.

One of the most dangerous things that has come about since ABS is this belief that your car will stop quicker because it has ABS, and thus you can follow closer, etc. ... this is BS because it is the size of the brake disk, tyre, brake pads, caliper clamping pressure and weight of the car that set how quickly a car will stop.

If you brake and trigger the ABS to work that means a wheel has locked and thus you are not going to stop as short as you could have if you had used SKILL ;)

Pete

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    yup! :)

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Actually one of the reasons the Impala might have done so well is that they did not care about unsprung weight and thus put a nice big bl**dy brake disk and caliper setup on the car. Naturally Ferrari had to worry about handling and thus did not want to hang too heavier brake combination on the stub axle and ruin unsprung weight ... maybe?

Pete

11. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

Did you really like the Impala ss? My uncle has a 96 but I never see him and have only driven it once back then and it seemed pretty cool. True the car is big, how does it feel driving it. I like all kinds of cars so american and european but as a big american v8 i have always been attracted to this car for some reason. Whats your input?

12. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Often the indicated speed on American cars is WAYY off. I was driving a rental SUV and was doing an indicated 75kmph in a 50 zone. A cop jumped out from the bushes with a radar gun, zapped me and... went back to the bushes. So if you think you're breaking from 100mph you may actually be braking from 80. with a Ferrari it would be hard to hold the car at a steady 100, you will probably be aleays doing 105-110.

13. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    I 2nd that :D :D

14. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the info everyone. As for more pics Im not sure. Yu boys have enough. :D
    Great all around car. Driving it is reallycomfortable and really fun. Some of the nicest seats I've ever driven in. You really dont even notice your driving such a big car really until you try to back into a tight parking space. And for being as old as it is it really is quite fast. Definately a fun fun car to have. And except for the opti-spark the LT1 engine is realiable as hell.

15. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Its 60 to 0 times maybe your impala was rated 30 to 0 :)