Anyone nearby want a set of 360 rims+rubber? | FerrariChat

Anyone nearby want a set of 360 rims+rubber?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Auraraptor, Feb 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    2 front 2 rear with tires, $1700 (how much I payed for them)

I have a set that for the last few months I have been trying to fig out how to adapt to my ABS wheel 328. (http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4426 this is the tail end of a few threads and many personal emails between me and Paul)

I have learned alot of things about how offsets work, how to adapt wheels, how to choose the right tires, etc.

I know for a fact that you CAN adapt the wheels with minimal effort to the following:

308 (Need spacers get from Paul, he and I both now the needed spacers. The rear can be an issue, but a simple over compensation with a slight track widening or differnent coils will work)
    328 PRE abs (same as above)
    348 Straight bolt up
    355 75% sure that it is a Straight bolt up, Paul knows. I would know if I knew the stock offset
    360 (you never woulda guessed that one huh ;) )

If you want to know if they would work on your car (TR, mondial, etc) I just need the OEM offsets for the OEM wheels and I can tell you in a few seconds what you would need to do, if they would work at all, etc.

Note in some applications you need to get different rubber for the wheels since the overal diameter is not the same on all Ferraris.

If you are nearby, you can just pick them up and save shipping.

I am personally, trying to get my money back so I can buy a set of rims that I know will work for the abs 328.......namely a set of 512 front rims.

2. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    You gave up trying to fit then to your car then???

4. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    It is impossible, as the rears simply are too wide and spaced out. Using all fronts is an option, but still results in excessive outword spacing. (although not completely insane.) I tried looking for a set of fronts, but its just cheaper and easier to sell them and get something else.

You, Paul, and Mule all know, I have been trying like crazy to make this work, but the fact is fact and physics say NO! :(

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Probably for the best. There are a lot of really nice looking wheels there, best to find some that will fit. Good luck selling them, the price seems right. Ferrariads and ebay are both good places, 360 wheel seem to sell quickly.

6. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    oops...meant to send as PM...

7. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA

Where are you located?

8. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Baltimore MD/Hazleton PA depending on time of the week.

9. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Ken, thats a good price even if you have to pay for shipping.

10. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    10/32 rear 9/32 front

They are So2s front and rear.

11. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Oh and they are 215/45-18; 275/40-18 rear.

12. mondialman

mondialman Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    N. CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just bought 360 rims with PZeros on EBAY. How do I adapt them to my Mondial 3.2?

Mike

13. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Do you know your stock offset, I can help you out if you do....

PS I also need the current tire you are running on your car, and your front and rear rims sizes. (width)

14. mondialman

mondialman Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    N. CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't know how to measure the offset.

The tires are as follows:
    Front: 220/55VR 390 TRX Michelin
    Rear : 240/55VR 390 TRX Michelin

Thanks

15. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    225/40-18 Front tires are needed. (0.82% difference between the rolling diameters) http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?startIndex=0&width=225%2F&ratio=40&diameter=18&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&do=Search&search=true

Rears you have a range of choices:

255/40-18 (My choice if it fits your wheel rim)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?startIndex=0&width=255%2F&ratio=40&diameter=18&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&do=Search&search=true

275/35-18

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?startIndex=0&width=275%2F&ratio=35&diameter=18&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&do=Search&search=true

As for how they link up, I am pretty sure the that you should use the OEM 360 bolts rather then your stock wheel bolts to account for the differences in 'depth.' This is based of my experiance with 328 wheels. The OEM bolt will not work as well as the 360 (in theory, I have to try it out when I get my car back from the shop...yes its still in the shop)

But A simple check is :
    1. To take your wheel off
    2. While in front of you and off the car, put the OEM bolt in and measure with a ruler/tapemeasure how long the portion of the bolt that sticks out inside is.
    3. Now take that OEM bolt and stick it your 360 wheel and do the same measurment. You want the amount that the bolt sticks out to be about the same (within a few mm) If the bolt sticks out alot less then with your normal wheels, you will have bad tightening issues with your wheels constantly coming loose and needing tightening.

The last thing you need to worry about is the offset differences. I do not even have a remote idea to what your wheels are. If your car has too much, you will get a tire out of wheel well look, too little and you risk hitting the suspension (if spacers are not used)

If you search the archieves there is a picture of what you are doing (I think, it might be the OEM 16s from a 328) Anyway the thread was one I started I think...I just dont feel like looking right now, after posting an already long post. (Do you know how fun it is to try and fig out wheel conversions when you have mets to stds? :))

16. mondialman

mondialman Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    N. CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow, thanks for your hard work! As to the bolts, the wheel shop that is helping me can order 14mm bolts in a longer length if I need them. Also, I have some spacers if there is interference with the suspension. I'm having the wheels shipped directly to the tire shop, and they will help with fitting them. I can't wait to try them...I just hope they look good. My 3.2 is a Red/Black cabriolet.

17. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    How much does it cost to get wheels powdercoated?

18. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    No problem, I like to help as much as I can, just promice us pictures when you are done! :)

19. redrocks

redrocks Rookie

Mar 2, 2004
    Are those tires and wheels still for sale? couldn't tell from the thread . Am facing the typical problem of replacing my TRX's on my 83 Mondial and am looking for an alternative.
    thanks,
    Wayne

20. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Sorry, I they are sold, if I come across another set for similar $, I will forward you the contact information.

21. mondialman

mondialman Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    N. CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well I got my 360 wheels with the PZeros on today. As you said, the key components here are the stock 360 lug bolts. You have to have the extra 1/2 inch in length in order to fit the wheels on the car. Once I got these, the tire shop put them on in about 10 minutes, NO spacers required. In fact, the difference in offset for the rear wheels is less than 1/4 inch, and the front tires fit perfectly. I noticed several advantages immediately.

First, it feels like I added power steering. The steering effort at very slow speed, something I got used to with the old metrics, is vastly reduced. The car turns much quicker and easier at speed as well. Very nice!

Also, until today I had no idea how much noise the metrics made on the freeway with the top down. Really, the only thing I hear now is that beautiful sound the motor makes at 5000 rpm.

The ride is excellent, and the cornering is even better than before.

If you drive a non-ABS Mondial, and you like how they look, I highly recommend the upgrade. I don't know if ABS changes anything. A person would have to just buy a set and try them. You can always resell them on Ebay, which is where I found my wheels.

Keep in mind...
    Get the complete set with Ferrari center caps.
    You need the stock 360 lug bolts as well. They are expensive to buy new, but without them you can NOT install the wheels.
    Don't forget to put 5 of your original lug bolts with your spare. If you get a flat, the 360 bolts will not work on your original metric wheels.
    Keep your old wheels. I believe you will want to keep them with the car if you ever sell it.

Thank you for all the help. Here are pics you asked for. I really like the way they look, and I love the way they drive.

22. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Awesome! Congards it worked out right for you!

What rubber are you running BTW?

Also, what PSI are you running? Make sure that you have the same psi as you did when you had met. wheels, or at least close to, for optimal handling.

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner

All Mondials have about the same offsets, everybody's a player on this - the 8's and qv's included.

Looks terrific - especially like the sl. dished look and wider track. Would be very interested to know the offset change. Congrats!

24. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    The 360 wheels you put on your Mondial have those numbers, like you mentioned before ? See your message some weeks ago...below.
    Front 18 X 7,5 with tires 215/24 ??
    Rear 18 X 10 with tires 274/40 ??
    Those numbers of tires ar'nt right, can you give us the right numbers for the tires. Thanks
    Guido

#16 04-24-2004, 03:47 AM
    mondialman
    Rookie Join Date: Apr 2004

360 tires and rims on my 3.2 Mondial?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I'm a sucker for a good sales pitch, and I bought these on EBAY today for my 3.2 Mondial with the stock metric wheels. I'm not even sure how they will look or if they will even fit! My mechanic isn't even sure (Tony @ Modena Motors). He felt they may need spacers in the rear, and longer bolts if I can find them. I called Ferrari San Francisco and talked to the mechanic and he wasn't sure, either. My tire shop will help me see if they fit. If they don't I will have to resell them.

Any advice on if these tires will work? It sounds like there is a lot of expertise on this thread. Any help would be appreciated!

Here is the sales pitch on EBAY:
    "Ferrari 360 wheels and Pirelli PZero tires, New Car take offs in nearly new condition. Frankly, hard to tell from new. Ferrari tire stems and Pirelli Pzero Tires mounted and balanced. With BUY IT NOW I will include the Ferrari Center Caps. Wheels are 18x10 rear and 18x7.5 front with 274/40 and 215/24 tires. Wheels will fit 355, 348, 328, 308 and Mondial. May also fit Testarossa."

To fit 308 or pre 88.5 328 spacers will be needed. But, as you can see from the photos, its worth the effort!

New, these wheels cost over $3000, tires another $1000 plus the cost of the Center Caps. Thus, these are 1/2 the price of new replacement.

NEWSFLASH FOR MONDIAL OWNERS! THESE WHEELS FIT PERFECTLY TO YOUR MONDIAL! TOTALLY TRANFORMS THE CAR! NO SPACERS AND PLENTY OF CLEARANCE! MAKE YOUR MONDIAL THE SPORTING CAR IT WAS MEANT TO BE! HANDLING IS DRAMATICALLY IMPROVED AND STEERING EFFORT IS REDUCED TREMENDOUSLY.

25. mondialman

mondialman Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    N. CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Pirelli P Zero
    Front 215 45 ZR 18
    Rear 275 40 ZR 18

The tires state a maximum pressure of 51 psi. The tire pressures currently are 36-38 pounds. I will get a recommendation from the tire shop when I take the car back in to confirm that the tires are balanced, and the lug bolts are torqued properly.