The Looks of the Scaglietti vs. the Looks of the Daytona | FerrariChat

The Looks of the Scaglietti vs. the Looks of the Daytona

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Brian C. Stradale, May 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Just speaking of the [b][i]looks[/i][/b] of the Daytona and Scaglietti, do you:

1. Love the Daytona and love the Scaglietti.

2. Love the Daytona and neutral on the Scaglietti.

3. Love the Daytona and hate the Scaglietti.

4. Neutral on the Daytona and love the Scaglietti.

5. Neutral on the Daytona and neutral on the Scaglietti.

6. Neutral on the Daytona and hate the Scaglietti.

7. Hate the Daytona and love the Scaglietti.

8. Hate the Daytona and neutral on the Scaglietti.

9. Hate the Daytona and hate the Scaglietti.

10. Undecided or otherwise "none of the above".

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I was reading the current issue of Sportscar International... which liked the 612, though lamented its "plain looks"... and voted the Ferrari Daytona as the best car of the 70's. Looking at the pictures it occurred to me...

People complain that the 612 is
    • too plain
    • too long-nosed
    • too small-wheeled
    • too small of headlights
    • too smiley faced

But many people adore the Daytona; yet the Daytona is very plain... plainer than the 612; the Daytona is very long-nosed... even awkwardly so; the Daytona is very small-wheeled (though typical for its day); and the Daytona has tiny little lights (that close to nothing). The only "negative" 612 attribute that the Daytona doesn't have is the big grin on the front.

So, I wonder if there is a correlation between those who like the Daytona and those that like the Scaglietti. Please vote!

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I don't disagree with your basic argument.

I think people are too hard on the 612 -- I'd give it a B+ considering it's a 2+2 (and think it will fair no worse than the 456 in terms of history treats it).

Daytona's are A- coach-style-wise in my book, but I'd agree with you that they somehow get extra "holy" anoitment.

Are you losing sleep over this unfair treatment of the 612? ;)

3. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    They are bot Ferraris. Masterpieces. How can one not fall in love with either of them.

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Both are beautiful, However I am neutral on the 612 because it hasnt grown on me and established itself.

5. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Very honestly, what I don't like about the 612, is the profile, the lack of balance between front and rear.
    It's just a lack of homogeneity in the styling, Rear end is bio design, when front is more chiseled...
    I don't dislike the Daytona, but it doesn't get my heart going...
    For some reason, I really love the 456, though. More than a 575! Yeah, I know I'm weird. :D

6. PARIS ALEXANDROS

May 29, 2004
    Athens & Milan
    I think that 612 Scaglietti is a return to the genuine mid-late 50's and 60's Ferrari style....with cues from an automotive style masterpiece like 375 MM Coupe' Speciale 0456AM....other classic Ferrari GT's and italian design masterpieces of the late 50's and early-mid 60's...for me that i adore classic cars 612 Scaglietti is the best and more sofisticated production Ferrari design of the last 30 years....