308 decklid releases | FerrariChat

308 decklid releases

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tesseract, May 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    When I picked up my '78 308 (288 rebody) the decklid releases were a little messed up, making it difficult to open. I went in and adjusted them by simply moving and tightening the nut-on-the-wire (yeah, I think that's the technical term) on the release mechanism. I tested them ten times with the decklid open to ensure that they were functioning correctly. You guessed it - I shut the deck and now the right release won't release.

Any ideas on how to access that release? Please respond so I can stop banging my head on the wall for my stupidity.

Thanks.

2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    There's a secondary release behind the drivers seat, on the firewall.

Give that one a pull and see what happens. Try re-latching the left side 1st though.

3. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    Thanks - but it's a no go. My guess is that the left release nut-thing has bottomed out against the latch mechanism and therefore there is too much slack to pull the right nut-thing against the right release mech.

4. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    Have you tried with a helper. One person doing the release lever. The other jiggling the decklid.

5. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    Yup. My always helpful wife. No go.

6. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    Shanghai/Melbourne
    Try pressing the lid down hard while someone pulls the leaver. Then lift. try using both cables.

7. stacy

stacy Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    halifax
    Did you get tour deck lid open? I have always wondered how you would get it open if the cable broke.

Good luck
    Stacy

8. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    No. I finally walked away from it before I broke something. I've been hoping for something to show up here - like someone who has had the cable break. I cannot believe that this is the first time someone has had the releases jam or cable break. I have considered going up through the floor of the trunk compartment, but that probably is still a one in million shot to be able to snag the wire.

HHHHHHEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!!!!

9. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    Boy do I feel sorry for you! OK there's worse things in the world than not being able to get your ferrari decklid open, but heck this a ferrari technical site. Ain't we got any experts here???

I've just been out to look at mine. The right one is driven off the left one as I'm sure you know. Did you try what Michael Collins suggested? By pressing down hard on the lid you'd be freeing the catch up so it should open easiest. If it doesn't then presumably the left one just isn't pulling enough.

Sorry not to be able to help.

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    check the archives on this on the old F-chat site. I recall a mechanic saying the "last resort" is to knock out either the turn signal or brake light housing and go in from there. About $150 or so to replace....don't remember if you have to break one on each side or not....

Either way, not a fun proposition.

11. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    Any access from underneath, or via the side(removing a wheel well)

12. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    Ouch. The worrisome part is that the little cable nut is hard enough to access when the deck is open, let alone when it is closed and going through a small hole (side marker light). Anybody out there have free access to one of those laparoscopes, so I can search for it?

Pardon my ignorance - your reference to the "old" F-chat site - what is that. I did search around this site for info and came up empty.

And thanks for all your sympathy - it almost makes me feel a little better.

13. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I am not sure if all 308's have this but there is a hole in the rear firewall of mine located at the right rear, upper corner area. It's about 1.5" in diameter and is currently plugged. I thought maybe it was used for part of the charcol cannister/raw fume recovery system. That would be one approach if I ran into the same problem.

Another approach I would take as a last resort is to take out the inner fender and drill a 1 or 2" hole in the trunk wall/aft wheel well bulk head with a hole saw. You should be able to get it from there. They make rubber block off plugs to fit many sizes so pick your hole size to accomodate one of these. Cheaper than busting a tailight.

Inspecting another 308 should give you insight as to where exactly to drill the hole and what part of the latch to snag.

Let us know what you come up with.

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Scroll to the bottom of the Fchat home page and you will find a link to the old site.

15. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    there's no way to get into the cargo area from outside normally.

Just to clarify, the main cable stretches from the lever in the driver door to the passenger side deck lid release latch. The drivers side deck lid latch clamps onto the cable as it goes by.

the backup release cable only goes to the drivers side deck lid latch. if the main cable is not taut between the two deck lid latches, then you have the unfortunate scenario where the drivers side latch may "bottom out" and prevent the cable from moving far enough for the other latch to release.

if pulling the backup release cable as hard as you can doesn't work, then you only have a couple options that I can see.

If you think the clamping of the main cable at the drivers side latch is loose enough, you can remove the lever in the door jamb and try pulling it with excessive force to see if you can slip the cable in the clamping collar.

if that doesn't work (and you destroy the cable end in the process), then you probably have to shatter the brake light on the passenger side so you can reach in and release the latch.

trying to drill into the cargo area would only be an option if there wasn't a ton of carpeting and insulation all over the place. on my 328, it looks like it would be impossible due to a hard carpeted shell that is covering the latches....you'd have to get that out of the way, which would require a pretty big hole.

you definitely have my condolences. don't let this discourage you from working on the car in the future!

16. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I will inspect my '78 when I get home tonight (4:00p.m. PDLT) and see if I can find an answer to your dilema.

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I am hoping that being a 288 rebody that the car may not have all of the insulation and carpeting......................

Either way, it makes me want to look at preventative measures on my own.

18. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    #18 tesseract, Jun 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks. I'll be waiting to hear if you find anything. Fortunately (unfortunately?) it was a very well done conversion - no easy access through some unfinished gap or anything. And a well detailed trunk area. I took a deep, deep breath and drilled a test hole through the trunk floor, from under the car - one layer of metal, then insulation, then another layer that felt like metal, then more insulation, then apparently fiberglass, then I hit the carpet - which there is no going through without leverage from above.

Here's the car by the way.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Nice looking rebody, better than most that I have seen. Is the wheel base still stock? The car appears to be a GTB but the 'A' pillars are black like a GTS. I think they are red on the 288 too. Am I mistaken?

If all else fails one could cut a section out of the trunk floor to access the latch. Weld in new metal, replace the insulation, a piece of new carpet and you are good to go. A big hassle but no body damage and no destruction to limited resource parts.

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #20 Spasso, Jun 3, 2004
    Okay, I'm back.
    Here are shots of my '78 GTS. I don't know if the carpet has been renewed on this car but you can see by the cut that the latch is exposed as well as part of the cable.

The last picture shows the 'Mystery Hole' in the rearbulk head just outboard of the header tank. It goes clear through to the carpet if unplugged. The latch is 4" OUTBOARD from this hole.

Now, if one could just grab the cable from that hole the angle would be perfect to give it a little tug. Makes me think that maybe that is why the hole is there in my car...........................:confused:

Another thought is one could reach in with a long extension and a 'wobbly' socket and unbolt the latch from the body saving a kink in the cable! Access to the hole in the bulkhead could be via the wheel well of course.

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #21 Spasso, Jun 3, 2004
    After some experimentation I found that I could trip the latch by inserting a narrow, blade tipped screwdriver into the lower half of the hole in the aft side of the latch. The screwdriver must be inserted fairly level with the TIP at an angle towards the OUTBOARD side of the latch and the HANDLE INBOARD, then move the HANDLE of the screwdriver from INBOARD TO OUTBOARD and it pops right open.

Thats about all I can come up with.

The first picture shows the latch closed.
    In the second picture you can see the tab inside the hole next to the screwdriver tip.

22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Well? Any luck?

23. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Before you take out the taillight you may want to consider removing the licence plate and cut out a section so you can get your arm in the trunk and release the latch. Then take the piece that you cut out and build a picture frame to install in the trunk . Then install the cutout piece to the frame and put on the licence plate and all is covered. My 2c

24. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    I'm at work. I will get after this tomorrow afternoon. I truly appreciate your looking into this - you spent a lot of time on a guy you don't even know - that's cool. I'll give you an update tomorrow. THANKS

25. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Tesseract, (=4 dimesional cube, Cool.)

"............spent time on a FERRARI GUY I don't know."

I really think there is a way to do this without hacking your car to bits.
    Good luck.