355 Oil Cooling - How does it work? | FerrariChat

355 Oil Cooling - How does it work?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by MarkCollins, May 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    I understand the principal of the dry sump arrangement and the feed/ scavange lines from Engine to tank. I also understand that one of the lines from the tank to the Oil cooler is open or shut dependant on the Oil temp by way of a thermostatic valve however what makes the oil go through the cooler? there is no pump so is it based on gravity or some other method?

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Hey Mark

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think it's kind of a syphon effect. Maybe even a push-pull kind of thing. On my 348 the return line to the oil tank, from the oil cooler, is below the oil level line. So I think what happens is, when the sump extracts oil from the tank, as the oil is drawn out into the engine, it also pulls the oil from the cooler into the tank. I don't think it is pumped there. Because the path of the oil flow is from the bottom of the engine, up to the top, then down to the cooler, and from the cooler to the oil tank.

3. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Mark, there are two pumps. A return pump draws the oil from the oil pan, recylcling it to the tank & through the oil cooler.

The pressure pump draws oil from the tank and feeds it through the galleries at 4.5 to 7BAR (1 BAR = 14.7PSI) depending on oil temp, viscosity & engine wear.

Hope this helps.

Rob.