Removing Cam Covers on '89 TR | FerrariChat

Removing Cam Covers on '89 TR

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jerrari, May 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Anything special I should know before tackling this? Is it pretty straight forward. I simply want to powder coat them red...they are faded and peeling. Thanks, Jerry.

2. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Fairly straightforward. Look for the 2 nuts in the middle of the cam cover.......one at each end.

I assume they are leaking oil. If not, then I would wait till they do.....as I did mine at that time. I just painted mine.........only has to last for 30K miles.......then I will spray them again.

3. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Assuming the engine is in? When you remove the covers, the front breather tubes are a pain to get to and may freeze on. Cut them if you must but be sure to have 6 inches of hose on hand. The cam seals must be upright and flush in their bores when you reseal the covers. It will take an hour or 2 to fully remove all old gasket material from the head with a razor.

4. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Thanks guys.

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    of course you'd be mad not to check and adjust your valve clearances while the covers are off.

Early cars have a gasket around the spark plug holes, while later cars have o rings. The o rings require a tiny spot of grease to hold them in postion during assembly.