How many people ask to drive your Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How many people ask to drive your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by GWat, May 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coyote

Coyote Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    A girl that I'd only just met at a party asked if she could drive it. She wasn't particularily appealing in any way but even if she was I still would have said no. Everyone else has the sense not to bother asking. The throttle spring is too light IMO which makes the car too susceptible to jerky starts by newcomers - just one of many reasons why I have little interest in letting other people drive it.

2. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex

OMG that sucks!!! How did she hit 4 cars????????????

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Like Peter, I have let lots of people drive my car. People I have never met before. But you're right about that booby-trap thing. Peple are really hesitant to sit inside until yout ell them. I always break the ice with "Look at where 80 is" - that gets a good laugh out of them.

--Dan

4. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Like mine, most not seeing that my speedometer is in KPH, they immediatly see the 280 at the end of the band!

5. banduga

banduga Karting

Mar 22, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Funny, I was just telling my wife about that last week. I'll certainly use that in future! :)

6. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't let other people drive my car.

Ferraris is different from Porsches.

I hate to let other poeple drive my F-car.

If they ever need a reason, I would say the insurance policy only allows one driver to drive and that driver is me.

If they insist, I will just say no and walk away.

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Most of my friends are car-aholics too. Some ask, some hint, some just beg to drive, or at least ride, in my Dino, and I've only had it on the road for about 60 days. They've all been in the passenger seat, but only a couple have driven it.

I've let my brother in law, and a friend who races classic British cars drive it, but have so far held off on letting the rest of the group taker her for a spin until some of the little bugs are ironed out.

My sons, one with his license, one not yet, have asked that they be allowed to drive it "someday". My wife is afraid to try, so she's not getting in the driver's seat anytime soon.

But, I'm not hesitant to let competent drivers behind the wheel who can afford to fix whatever they might break.

8. rascalif

rascalif Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Southern California
    She lost control coming into a 2-lane left turn lane, so she just squeezed in between the cars. Actually, the car looks better now (new paint job, all pre-existing dings and scratches fixed) and the accident was on her record, not mine. So other than the Carfax blemish, all's well that ends well.

9. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    When I first bought my Alfa, I let my boss (a 914 owner) use it for a short trip across the airport. He returned complaining that the car was "too fast". (Huh?)

Shortly after I bought my 328, a friend from the AllTrac list gave me a ride home from a Celica race shop, so I let him drive the Ferrari (with me in it). The gearbox was cold, and he was utterly stymied by 2nd gear.

I'm hesitant to let "the uninitiated" drive Italian cars, now. But the question rarely comes up. Mostly, people just want rides.

I try to be accomodating for those who want to look around the engine bay, but I'm surprised at the number of co-workers (and managers!) who wanted to take off for a joy ride in the middle of a work day.

I think they want to see what the car will do, but prefer that any police involvement go on my license. ;)

10. detailman

detailman Formula Junior

May 26, 2002
    Indiana & South Caro
    Full Name:
    David
    Not as many people ask to drive as I once thought they would, at first I was quite stuck up about even letting someone else in my car but after having it a while I have taken about all of my friends for a ride in it and 2 strangers for a short trip .Now that I have opened up, hell its been fun giving rides. One night on the way out of a restruant a middle aged guy and his wife were talking to me about it and I felt comfortable enough to offer to let him drive her around the parking lot but she would not allow.

11. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Giving people rides is one of the great joys of Ferrari ownership! Too bad that legal worries make giving rides to kids such a huge risk.

Almost nobody ever asks to drive; the few that do are the ones I'd never let drive. But I sometimes offer to let people drive...

If I offer before taking them for a ride, they usually shrink away in fear of taking on that much responsibility. But usually if I offer again after giving them a spirited ride, they almost always accept. I think its the combination of seeing how hard I drive the car (so it won't likely break in their hands), seeing how high the handling limits are (so they know they won't get anywhere close to that), and seeing how intoxicating and exhilarating it is (the desire to feel that in their hands is intoxicating).

But I am certainly selective about who I let drive it... even more so as important Ferrari events get close in time. So, if someone asks...

If your wife or dad or whoever hasn't driven it, an easy answer is "My wife hasn't even driven it yet." Another that works is "The last person who drove it scared the $#it outta me; I'm still recovering." Or you can state the rule "Only those who can afford to fix it quick are allowed to drive it."

12. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    No one has ever asked me for a ride when the car was there and ready to go. From friends, I get a lot of, "I'd like a ride sometime." I have offered and given rides and even allowed others (whom I know and trust) to drive. The most common comment is how easy the car is to drive.

13. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    They are just cars, i let anyone drive my cars and i have driven a lot of my firiends. I would only give the keys to someone responsible who i trust though.

14. tommyworld

tommyworld Rookie

Jun 1, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    tommy g
    i did get that at first. i would just ask "can you write me a check for 75k if you just get into so much as a fender bender?" the asking to drive my tr soon stopped.

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I try to take as many people as possible for rides, I'm always offering. The only people that have driven my car are my brothers and my dad. No one has ever asked to drive it, but if they did, I'd evaluate how well I knew them and trusted them before I'd answer. Either that or I'd be sure they had something cool for me to drive. A buddy of mine turned me loose in his new M5 a few weeks ago, I guess I owe him a drive in the Ferrari.

16. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    First
    How about a switch? I was a brand new owner but had found a couple other owners nearby through F-chat. I had been talking to one of them about getting together for a drive, but I had just put my 308 in the shop for a check-up. He not only offered to give me a ride, he offered to give me the keys to his Ferrari. We hadn't even met in person yet. Unbelievably great people here!!

Second
    I have never had anyone seriously ask to drive my car. I found out I was going out of the country for two months to work and almost everyone I talked to offered (jokingly of course) to "take care of it for me" while I was gone. Pretty funny!

17. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    I just got my Spider, the most I've been asked for is a ride. Nobody has asked to drive yet. The good thing about living in a small town (pop 14,000) is that my car costs more than nearly all the houses in the whole town. It intimidates most people into not even asking for rides, they just stare.

Curiously, I was looking at Aston Martins last month, I got to test drive a Vanquish. One customer allows his car to be used as a tester whenever
    he drops it in for an oil change. I don't know what to think about that, but then again, if it is a bona fide customer, you're probably not some schmuck off the street, why not? But still........

18. XintegR

XintegR Rookie

Jun 3, 2004
    Im 18 thats in ur requirements of 16-20 how great is that LOL i live in san jose and you can msg me anytime your around here=) thank YOU! hahaha

ps. ohhh boyy i really dont have any interest in getting a job

19. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    XintegR: come out on our next bay area drive.

--Dan

20. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

Not only will dan give you some inspiration...He will let you wash it as well. :)

21. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Sonora is only 400 miles away and I'm an honest to god high-school "drop-out" with no job. And it would make a great excuse to visit my relatives in San Francisco. ;)

22. Pantera1523

Pantera1523 Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    Two years ago (roughly) I stumbled upon Matt Boyd's web page and sent him an e-mail asking him about Ferraris. He lives about 15 miles from me... we met shortly after that and he let me a total stranger (at the time) drive his '85 Euro 308.

Three months ago I bought an '85 308 GTS (US version as I need to pass emissions where I live)... it was all because of Matt that I even realized I could really afford a Ferrari. I still owe him a drive in my Pantera...

Anyway my point is... you never know who you may run into that you will influence or inspire.

I had always loved Ferraris since I was a kid and never really thought I would actually own one some day. I met Matt and after talking to him I realized that yes it really is an attainable goal and they really aren't as expensive as I had originally thought.

Scott

23. abbyhepkat

abbyhepkat Rookie

May 28, 2004
    If I had a Ferrari, I'd probably let those closest to me drive. I'd let pretty much anyone sit in it. Heck, I dunno. There aren't many Ferrari's where I live (close to Vancouver, BC), so when I get lucky and see one, I'll easily stare it at it for a half hour or more. They're just so beautiful...so balanced...so....mmmmmmm.

Erm, I digress. This is my first post. But hey, if anyone in Vancouver wants to give me a ride, I'd be eternally grateful. Sorry if that was inappropriate (just an act of desperation).

24. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    Thanks for all the replies to my question. I would have thought that not many people would ask me, but I haven't even taken delivery yet and people are asking when it will be here so they can drive it. The part the gets me is that some are not even asking, they are just assuming that I am going to let them drive it. I have been waiting for this Ferrari for 3.5 years. I have never driven a Ferrari and have never asked someone to drive theirs. Some people say that its just a car, why not let people drive it. Well to them I say Ferrari is not just a car, just as my wife is not just a girl and my parents are not just a couple of old folks. If I just wanted a car I would by a Porsche.

I hope that they understand that I inform them that I don't intend to let them hold $200k of mine, treat it like its their own and have a good time.

You know, if a person who really knows Ferrari and is an enthusiast and I know that they can drive (kind of the biggest point), I probably would let someone drive it. But truth be known, I am not impressed by the driving capabilties of most people.

25. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

I thought we put a ban on beating up on Porsches err other marques.

The reply to the "its just a car" should always be "and thats exactly why you don't get to drive it." After all someone who thinks "its just a car" shouldn't even want to drive it right? Since its just another car.