Mazdaspeed Protege vs 360 Modena | FerrariChat

Mazdaspeed Protege vs 360 Modena

Discussion in '360/430' started by msp_owner, May 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msp_owner

msp_owner Rookie

May 30, 2004
    USA
    I use to wonder, which one would win. I found out yesterday. Tell me who you think won:

Mazdaspeed Protege
    stock engine (no forged internals as of yet)
    GT28rs (disco potato) turbo upgrade
    Custom fabricated hard pipes and front mount intercooler (mandrel bent piping)(of course TurboXS RFL bov)
    Flashed PCM/ECU
    Custom 3" turbo back exaust with Apex N1 Cannister. (no cats, hooks all the way up to the turbo (s pipe, midpipe, and downpipe have no CATS)
    Boosting 18 pounds.

Now this isnt everything (like electronics, suspension, body kits, interior)
    But it should give you the idea. How do you think it would stand up against a drag race with a stock 360 modena (unless you count the rims)?

Well unfortunately, the 360 loss. Now, this suprised the hell out of me. He must have been a bad driver, cause I usually only pull 12.8 - 13 flat on 18 psi. But who knows, any opinions?

Now I'm sure this is no way to start off a first post, but hey i love ferraris and would never diss on them unless something crazy like this happened. I hope to eventually own a wonderful ferrari, but untill then, I'll be happy with my turbocharged four banger ;)

2. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Given a stock 360 can only pull about 12.8 itself (with a test driver), why exactly is this surprising?? Ferraris aren't dragsters... weren't designed for it... aren't particularly good at it. Ferraris, particularly their naturally aspirated ones, were designed for maximum driver experience on twisty roads... not drag racing.

If your idea of fun is to push the loud pedal and feel max acceleration g's for 10-20 seconds, then you've done exactly the right thing... boost the hell out of something cheap but reasonably reliable.

If on the other hand, you're looking for the most enjoyment you can possibly get out of a two-hour drive through a twisty mountain region, experiencing way more g-forces in the other three directions than you can get in the forward direction, then I guarantee the 360 will be much more fun.

It just depends on what you want to do with it,

3. msp_owner

msp_owner Rookie

May 30, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, I agree! Being a AUTOX head, I love the twisties myself. And my car pulling around 1 g (havn't had it tested but stock it pulls .98 on the skid pad) can probably take a stock 360 as well. But once again, it's not a comparison, just amazing as to how a car that didn't even cost more than 30 grand (after aftermarket mods) could do such damage to a 6 figure car :) But hey, ferrari's rock and will definately get you laid a lot quicker than a car that sounds like a turkey ;) Anyways, peace out.

4. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    With only 275 lbs of torque, it's not difficult to out-boost a normally aspirated 360 in a drag race.

I'm sure there are more than a few boosted Acura's, Honda's, Subarus etc. that would do the same to a five year-old Ferrari and a Porsche 911 and an Aston DB7 and a MB SL. Of course there are also several Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, and Trans Ams that might do the same. But I'll never have one of those in my garage, even if they did the 1/4 mile in 10 secs.

Forza,

Cavallini

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Hi G's on the skid doesnt always translate to better handling.

AUTOX is also not the best test of a Ferrari either, esp the 5spd ones, since the design of the shifter isn't for 1-2 shifts.

6. Try a 575 Maranello or a 612 in a drag race they should give you a pretty good run 360CS will destroy your car around the track. Hopefully the 420M will put an end to all this Ferrari drag racing stuff should be faster then the Gallardo.

7. xpresso

xpresso Karting

May 9, 2004
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    As a CS owner, my only response is "why bother."

8. EvilRyu

EvilRyu Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 19, 2003
    The Earth
    there's a civic that does 11 seconds quarter mile that cost less than $15K....SO what's your point?