i saw a maybach today | FerrariChat

i saw a maybach today

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Prancing_Horse, May 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    it was parked and it had a diplomat plate on it

Then the guy came out, he was sure enough foreign

"you like my car?"

yes i do!

"Want take it?"

LOL

2. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I've seen quite a few in the greater NYC area, mostly long-wheel based, curtained, two-toned paint jobs. Pretty nasty if you ask me. The frontal aspect looks Lexus-like, on steroids. Much prefer the old 600 limo; its sleeker in its hugeness and looks like it means business. This thing looks like it came via Japan. I'm sure its a comfy ride in the back, though.

3. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've seen one in downtown Houston. Which country was the guy from?

Jason-

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Don't you think that two-toned paint job is kind of 1992?

5. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You mean 1932?

6. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    A Mercedes-Benz Pullman (stretch-limo S-class) is much cooler than the Maybach, IMO. Saw one parked out the front of the hotel I was staying at while in Paris a few months ago.

7. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    An older 600-circa late 60's thru mid to late 70's (?) is much cooler still...

8. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Bill,

You may like this '71 600 Pullman that was once owned by Hugh Hefner. Just make sure the passenger area is sanitized for your protection :) (One can only imagine the hijinks that went on in the Playboy Mansion's limo).

The Maybach is singularly unattractive - I don't get it at all. I was clicking channels the other night and some rapper was showing off his emerald green Maybach. The floor mats had "Cash Money" embroidered into them. I love those subtle understated touches.

9. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Maybach is ****. In the bad way too!

Save your money, get a S600 and go Kleemann on it. Faster, cooler, and more exclusive. Oh yeah, and it looks good instead of that super-lame two tone. My Ninety-fo' LS has that!

10. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I wouldn't buy one unless i had a ridiculous maintenance/restoration budget. I did own a 6.3 in its day (circa early 70's) and even then, it was virtually impossible to service. But, what a car. Real wood, real leather, that air suspension, and damn, the thing was a rocket even if it was 3 tons.

11. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I have heard lots of people comment fondly about the Mercedes "6.3" somethings, but I have never had any real info on them. Care to enlighten me?

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Ahh, the banker's hotrod. Do a search on 300 SEL 6.3. It was later replaced by the 450 SEL 6.9. MB took the engine out of the 600 limo and put it in the then current s-klass body. They go like stink, expensive to maintain, but relatively cheap if you can find one that hasn't been left out to rot. Meaningless to restore (cheaper to by a TR).

I drove a Maybach 57 a couple of months ago. Total joke. The dealership experience left such a bad taste in my mouth that I would never even consider owning a MB product again. If you want one, wait about two years, you should be able to pick one up for $100k.

13. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I think the airbag suspensions on 6.3s were a nightmare. I've seen several Maybachs (one or two in Monaco recently, and a couple in Palm Beach), and they look utterly unremarkable. Underwhelming, really.

14. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Cool car - nice hotel, too.

Cheers
    Kevin