Ferrari art-idea opinions wanted... | FerrariChat

Ferrari art-idea opinions wanted...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ferrariartist, May 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    I have been thinking of releasing line of greeting cards of an exotic-car (mainly Ferrari of course).

That, alone, is a question in of itself... there is not alot of cards out there of this nature. (Maybe for a reason??) While there ARE women out there into Ferraris (hi Nika) i figure the market is 98% men. But i figure guys like us have birthdays, graduations and Fathers Day etc too and a card down our Ferrari-alley would be appropriate.

However...

THESE cards are 6.25" by 4.75" originals one-of-a-kind drawings. Hand drawn in ink and coloured in ink and/or watercolour. Constructed out of premium watercolour paper. No two cards are alike.

I figure to hit premium notepaper and "artsy" card stores (Chapters and Indigo, Your Expression stores, Yorkville and other downtown specialty stationary stores etc.)

Also,

To offer sets of cards to owners/afficianados of Ferrari and F1. Meaning, to put together a set of say 10 or 12 cards featuring a titanium 360 Challenge Stradale for the owner of said car. These would be offered as a packaged rate.

Which brings us to price....

to be honest. i've never been that good at "finding my price range" yet. I sold similar cards for $8 at Art Shows and angered (literally) several of my neighbours for having ridiculous prices and undercutting them by %50 and cheapening my own work. (their words not mine...)

i sold all 20 though... :)

I have seen "art-cards" in STORES for sale in the $10-15 CAN range some involving dried flower & paper collages and the like. So i figure the $13 CAN dollar range for each would be a place to start. The package of, say, 10 i could do for, say, $85 CAN.

So...

i guess my question to all of you is this...
    Does this sound viable... is it something you or your significant other would spend your hard-earned money on? Am i making fine-art out of something that shouldnt cost more than 6 bucks? Is a birthday or graduation card something that should or could cost that much? If i got 3 or 4 ink drawings PRINTED the price could drop dramatically ($9) but the "one of a kind"ness would be gone... but maybe thats something i could keep just for the "package deal" for owners/fans, and charge $95-100 for a dozen.

And, i know youre thinking it... yes a FerrariChat price could be arranged.... :)

Anyways... i wanted to bounce this off you.. the "hand-carafted originals" idea appeals to me most but since you are the ones that would be the market i thought i'd request any and all opinions thru this thread. (I copied this in the Canada section and Business sections as well, if thats OK with the moderators)

As i said... all opinions/advice welcome...

Thank you
    GT

2. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    The business section is the best place for your post I think. The people there are geared to post replys about ideas. People in here "just like to watch". :)

3. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Sounds viable to me. I'd buy them. Let me know when you have some to sell. I would be particularly interested in the following cars:

Yellow Murcielago
    Red Enzo
    and any other F-Cars or L-Cars.

4. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    Saw your thread in the main chat section.
    Welcome to America, Land of Legal Action.

I think your good to go until told otherwise.
    Why not do the same as the FerrariPoster/Calander proposal.

Or perhaps do a series based on each model and offer them to members.
    (Limited production or something like that)
    Just a thought!

5. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    Thanx guys... while the legal stuff WAS helpful and interesting - Mr.Hart especially was a fabulous help - the VIABILITY of these card was what i was after as well... It seems y'all tend to agree that it is... THANX FOR THE SUPPORT!!

evansp60:
    as i have just completed a series of 7 of a 250GTE for an owner in California, your idea definitly holds water...

Clax:
    the ones posted are for sale... i'm still working up an "inventory" of them so i only have about a dozen - 612 Scaglietti, 412, Daytona at the Breakers, Mondial in West Palm, and a Comp. Daytona...
    (I also emailed you on that other matter... if the deal goes thru i'll throw in 5 or 6 for free due to the delay - if you have more specific Fcars or Lambos in mind don't hesitate to request them...)

Thanx again, everyone
    GThomas

6. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Grant,

I'll take the yellow Lambo card! Please PM me the details that I will need to pay you & ship it. Or, you can wait until my other art piece is ready & ship them together.

Thanks.

7. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Yea, i'd be interested in the cards for sure!!, but like someone else earlier said, most people just "like to watch" here, perhaps you should try increasing awareness in another thread :)

p.s Try making some of the Lamborghini SE30 Jota :) with a purple paint job

8. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    Ferrariartist,

What would you charge for a one-off of a car?
    Like 14x20 watercolour? or whatever size or medium you think appropriate.

Good gift idea for high end owners.

9. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    wow... lots of questions... i LIKE this...

Clax:
    The Yellow lambo pictured above? Consider it yours. I'll ship it with the other when i get it and have it ready.

Clyde fernan:
    Is that a commision? :) I'll give one a whirl tonight and see if i got the right car...

evansp60
    whooooboy!! THATS a loaded question. Price ranges vary quite alot. It depends on the subject matter (An engine like Quattro Cilindri takes ALOT more time than the 355Closeup... a portrait of a Daytona is one thing... a portrait of a Daytona infront of the Breakers Hotel in West Palm with a dozen palmtrees etc. is obviously something else)... Theres size.. Style... the "painterly" or more abstract acrylic on canvas ones take less time and are therefore less money. Theres the fact whether you want it framed and matted - I urge people to look after this on their end.. the money you'll save in shipping will probably pay for it.

So... to try and condense all that into a price chart:
    Acrylic on canvas (eg Winning Streak): 475-600CAN 24x36inches
    Small pen & Ink (eg. Arnoux): 250-400CAN approx 23x20
    Watercolour/Ink "medium subject matter"(eg. 355Closeup): 500 - 700CAN
    Watercolour/Ink "Extreme detail required"(eg. Quattro Cilindri or The Office): 750 - 1000CAN

oh and the cards... still trying to find a price range but right now... around $12/card.

Please note that these are just ballpark prices and are subject to change...
    Shipping is extra as well...
    GThomas

10. Titanboy_24

Titanboy_24 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas Scarfone
    GT, My mom does the same kind of thing that you are thinking of, but she draws babies and stuff like that! She got some of her origionals printed and made cards out of them. My only advice to you (if you get them printed) is not to print too many at once, just print as you need them! I would know becuase I have boxes of baby and breastfeeding cards all over my house :p! Hopefully you can get some good ideas from this thread, I checked out your work and it is truly AMAZING! If you want to check out my moms stuff her website is...
    www.havingyourbaby.com
    If you have any questions or anything about the "art busineuss" you can e-mail her at [email protected] I'm sure she would like to talk to another artist!
    Keep up the awsome work and good luck:)!

Lucas

11. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    I gave a seJota a try last night.... (see att.) whadayathink??

Titan:
    Thanks for the support... your mothers work is very well done!! People have never been my strong point so i'm always envious of those artists that can pull that off... Kudos to her!!
    Yeah... printing might be a way to go... sell a few original series and such and that could bankroll that... i've been looking in giclee prints for my larger artwork.. that could work for these as well.. do up several on one sheet and trim them apart mysellf... as i mentioned the one-of-a-kindness is lost but i could sell more and not be up so late... :)

thx again everyone...
    GT