aftermarket wheel weight, is it a problem?? | FerrariChat

aftermarket wheel weight, is it a problem??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by balfas, Jun 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. balfas

balfas Karting
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2003
    Toronto Canada
    Full Name:
    balfas
    I'm thinking of changing my stock 360 wheels to hre 19" with Stradale rubber. My motivation is grip, road tire sidewalls too soft. My only worry is that the hre's will add about 2.5 lbs per corner. The wheel weight the formula is total wt (10lbs) x a multiple 0f 4-7, say 6, so it adds 60 lbs of inertia. Will this make a noticeable difference in 0-60, etc, or will the sticky rubber far outweigh the extra weight? I was told a one piece vs. the 3 piece hre's would be the way to go but I haven't found a single manufacturer that makes 19's in 8" & 10.5". Thanks for any help.

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    If you want the bigger wheels then do it. Are you racing for pinks out there with the fast & furious crowd? If not, then what does it matter if you lose 0.1s 0-60? Besides, you're going to hurt your launch just as much with those short, stiff-sidewalled tires.

3. balfas

balfas Karting
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2003
    Toronto Canada
    Full Name:
    balfas
    Do short sidewalls impair launch? Sorry you lost me there.

4. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    balfas...You have a PM

5. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Are you tracking the car, or are you talking about the street?

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Yes. Drag slicks have huge very soft side walls, something like 12" tall once the car cars moving.

7. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    balfas:

Try to hold out for a bit longer and look into the new HRE competition line. They have just devloped a new line of wheels that are specifically light weight, high strength pieces. They weigh about 5 lbs less per wheel the regular HREs I beleive. Hope this helps.

8. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    In a word, yes.
    Drag tires have soft sidewalls to allow the tire to flatten out on launch (like the dragsters on ESPN). Even into the realm of street tires, the same direction holds true. The stiffer sidewall prevents the tire from conforming or biting the road surface. That's why everyone drops their tire pressures at the drag strip, if they're running drag tires or not.
    But... do you want the big wheels? If so, get 'em and don't worry about it! Drive the car for what it's worth!

9. 308guy

308guy Rookie

May 9, 2004
  10. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    Most people drop their tire pressure but many drop it to much. People who run full on slicks typically run insanely low pressure as the tire is soft all the way from the center of the contact patch to the bead. Next time you are around a street tire, feel the sidewall and you will notice how stiff it is. People who drop their pressure on street tires frequently drop it too far and actually lose traction as the center of the contact patch will begin to raise of the ground as the sidewalls begin to add to support. Search the net and you can find some more info.

And I would say get the wheels. While it is true that unsprung weight just plain sucks, unless your driving skills are so good on the track that an additional 2.5# on each corner is going to kill your lap times and *you* don't have any room for improvement, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just have fun with it.

-ag