Loud "BANG" from 550 right door | FerrariChat

Loud "BANG" from 550 right door

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by speedball, Jun 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    I had a really strange thing happen yesterday ...... went for a nice long hard drive throught the Malibu Mountains with a friend .... when we returned home my friend opened the passenger door from inside and I heard a really loud "BANG" come from his door. Sounded like one of several things ..... like he either slammed the door into something really hard or maybe past the limitier and into the front fender (which he didn't) ... or something broke (fast and hard) inside the door. Never heard anything like this before (on any car) ..... After seeing that there was no damage to the door I then assumed it could have something to do with the spring loaded door limiter bar that holds the door in position when open. I looked at everything, checked the door action while moving, hinges, limiter, couldn't find anything out of place or anything not working correctly and I couldn't replicate this sound. It could maybe have been the window not lowering to clear the seal ... but it didn't sound like this ... I heard what sounded like something inside the door itself. I plan to remove the door panel and have a look inside ......... but before doing so thought I'd ask if anyone ever experienced anything like this? It was really loud (like a backfire) ..... and really shocked me .... I was certain my passenger had just trashed my door but thankfully ... this wasn't the case......

I have all the hardcopy workshop manuals available except for section "M" which covers couchwork .... No one seems to have this section .... could anyone give me advice on 550 door panel removal .... I've done this a hundred times on other cars .... just don't know all the little secrets on a 550 since I've never done this one before...... need to know about all the little little plastic tabs and bits that fit or pull just this way and not the other so I don't break anything .... etc., etc. Any help out great....

2. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I had an identical experience with my 360. In my case, the car was parked on a slope, facing downhill. The passenger (a kid) opened the door but it got away from him because of the slope. When the door swung open, I heard a gunshot-like sound. The kid was horrified that he had broken my Ferrari (as was I!). I was afraid I'd see buckled bodywork but there was no visible damage anywhere.

I took it to the service center the next day and the manager inspected the door and assured me that it was "most likely" the spring loaded door limiter.

I haven't had the problem again. Of course, I now supervise passenger door openings when appropriate!

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Scot:

Hope the image below helps.

--Dan

PS: I kept it large so you can see detail. If yo need it larger, PM me with your email address.

[​IMG]

4. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    911fan.............

Strange isn't it. I thought the same thing .... the spring loaded door limiter .... your "shotgun" example is right on the money. Sounded just like this. My reason for wanting to pull the door panel. But it's reassuring to hear someone else experienced this ... and there was nothing wrong. I was thinking that maybe the door limiter spring inside the door, which is a heavy one loop spring, could've slipped off or broken .... and maybe shot across the interior of the door making this noise ..... but the door limiter action seems fine. I may forgo further inspection based on your experience.

Bobafett............

Thanks for the detailed drawing. I really appresiate you taking the time to forward this. I actually have a hardcopy "Spare Parts Catalog" which this drawing came from and have taken a close look at this already ........ This drawings makes it pretty clear what's holding what together ..... was just wondering if there's any special procedures I should aware of. There's supposed to be a section "M" to the workshop manual which should have detailed "step by step" R&R procedures .... but can't seem to get this one last missing section to complete my manuals.

5. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    "I was thinking that maybe the door limiter spring inside the door, which is a heavy one loop spring, could've slipped off or broken .... and maybe shot across the interior of the door making this noise ..... but the door limiter action seems fine. I may forgo further inspection based on your experience."

Yeah, unless you hear something knocking around inside the door when you swing it, you're probably better off not opening it up. Sounds like you've already tested to make sure that the limiter spring is still working so all should be intact inside.

I'd still like to know what makes such a loud noise. If you do decide to open it up, take pictures!

6. Chuck550

Chuck550 Karting

May 15, 2001
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    #6 Chuck550, Sep 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The limiter pin (picture posted below) on the driver door of my 550 broke and now the door swings freely. It made popping sounds like others have described prior to this, and it seems like something was impeding the two "stop" points of the door swing angle about a week before he limiter pin went flying off.

Is this worth taking the door apart to inspect? I'm afraid that if I just replace the limiter pin where the mechanism arm attaches to the car frame, that it will just make the same cracking and popping noise again (which sounds like it's inside the door, but it's hard to tell, it may be coming from the rolled pin itself...)

Any tips on how to look inside the door? I see three screws on the underside of the door, but otherwise nothing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    I think I'd forgo pulling the door panel off ... put a new pin in the limiter first with a little lube ... and see what happens. If it's still there, then consider looking inside the door...... Thuis is what I decided on mine. My "bang" sound only happened one time ..... and that was back in June ........ it's possible the sound transfered into the door directly from pin binding ........ Do let me know what you discover .... I'm planning to keep a close eye on my pins from now on.