Pirelli P-Zero's life expectancy?? | FerrariChat

Pirelli P-Zero's life expectancy??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by racerdj, Jun 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Does anybody have the life expectancy of Pirelli P-Zero's when not driven much? How many miles (non track) are some getting before replacing?

2. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I've got about 5K miles of mostly back road driving in the twisties (no track use) and the P-Zeroes are holding up well. I expect I'll get at least another 5K miles out of them.

btw, why aren't you driving your car? You'll have more fun if you drive it!

3. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    The answer is you'll be very dissapointed, I've had them on several cars, all stink.

4. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    2 Sets of Rims both with a set of Pierlli P Zeros'.

5. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    I've had them on my 911, my 355 and my Cayenne. They are nice and predictable on the track and the road and the prediction is 10-12,000 miles. Strangely enough, the 355 seems to be easier on the rear tires than the 911 is.

6. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

I had PZero Asimmetricos at one time on my 550, which is heavily tracked in addition to gentle street use. Got ~5,000 miles of combined use. Excellent tires on track, IMO.

7. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i had them on my 360 modenas. i had 10,000 miles and they still had a few miels left in them :) no track miles...just good old ripping around town miles.

8. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I n my opinion it depends on how you drive them. I never do burn outs. I have about 5-6K on mine and the rears where the markers are already showing to be at the tread level which means another 1 -2k Miles (max). Another friend with those on his 01 spider only 7K. I think 7-8K is about the norm. The treadwear is 140 compared to Pilot Sports at 220. But I think the PZeros have better traction with some heat into them and have harder sidewalls.

9. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    This thread is a real eye-opener for me. What sort of miles do people get from other tire brands/ types?

Any Mondial experience out there re: tire wear?

10. davewapinski

davewapinski Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2003
    My Mondial t is used as an almost daily driver.

As such I wanted a Z rated tire that would also perform great in rain plus snow or ice.

According to the experts at Tire Rack, a track tire normally trades off rain and snow performance plus tire life for better track performance.

They said that a track tire is dangerous in rain or snow since the tires are not designed for this.

For a high performance all season Z rated tire they only recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Z tire. I have these on the Mondial t cab. I have driven in rain, snow, and rain plus snow at 120 to 130 mph. They are rock stable. I have not used them enough to know the tire life. However, they appear to be a long life tire.

For a spare to get me home and to use until a replacement tire is received, I have a Goodyear Eagle LS. It is only rated to 105 mph and is non-directional. It is close enough to be used at any of the 4 positions. This was also recommended by the Tire Rack.

11. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    I tend to agree. I had them on my Porsches and got about 10K on the back, 15K on the front ( 95 and 97 993s). The problem was they were hard, noisy, and went out of round before they wore out. I couldn't get them balanced for the last 5-7K and this limited the miles I could tolerate them. I did not track them no abusive driving. This has been my experience with other Pirellis also, on other cars (MGB, Lotus).

steve

12. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm not so sure that one brand over another will get more miles but rather it's the negative camber on some of the models which is causing the increased wear. Before I changed my rear p-zeros's, the inside edges were pretty much bald. While this camber adjustment would be excellent for track use, it may not be necessary for those of us who just hit the streets.

I remember the old acura nsx would just chew through the tires...

dave
    indy

13. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Just come back from a track day at Laguna Seca and my rear PZeros are totally gone. They lived no more than 6K miles with three 4 track days. The outer edges are fine on my tires, its the asymmetric pattern inside that is almost gone. I am not sure why. The tires were inflated to Pilot Sport inflation recommendation, which are lower for 360 than PZeros. So, if anything they should have worn from the inside or outside edges.

14. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    I only get about 4K on my 328.

But the tires do work well on the road. No reason to change since I feel like I know what the car will do with this rubber.

Higher speeds greatly accelerate wear.

15. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Tracking your car eats up a pile of tyre and brakes. That's a given.

I abused the piss out of my pzeros, tracked, drove them into the ground. Even flat spoted a set. (wore off after 1k miles.) Asymetricos all around (18") wore fairly even, and got about 10k out of them surprisingly.

One of the best amd most predictible dry and WET traction tyres ever as well (in my expierence.)

S03s are also well regarded. But don't look as cool.

16. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    I have a set of P-Zero Rosso tires on a Maser Spyder. Rears are gone at 11K. Fronts are Asymmetrico's, probably good for another set of rears.

Must be something wrong with the throttle...

17. davewapinski

Nov 24, 2003
    For all around street use, what is the best pressure to run in Pilot Sports (Mondial t).

Right now I am running the pressure on the door post for a full load: 38 and 39. This seems to be about right, but have not had them long enough to get a feel for long term wear. Is there a better pressure?

18. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i also averaged 5-7k with the p-zero's on the M3. but after numerous sets i complained and found out that you can get a percentage back on your next set becouse of the short life. i get about 20-25% back from pirelli. did some searching on thier site awhile back and found it, went to my local guy whom i've been buying from for the last 8yrs and got my discount.

the fronts will last on average 7-10k more than the rears, common with BMW's.

19. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

I think this may be a bit mistaken....it was my understanding that high performance "summer" tires are generally best suited for dry and wet...that the all season performance tires sacrifice both dry and wet performance to gain the snow traction.....

So if you want good wet performance (important here in Seattle), you generally would want to steer toward "summer" tires...now if snow traction is important to the equation, then yes...you need to consider the high performance "all season" tires....

20. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    If it is a great dry tire that also works VERY well in wet conditions, the Bridgestone Pole Posistion was the hans down winner.

But again do not expect longivity from these tires (10K average).

The basic formula is still there: Stiff sidewalls and a soft compound=great performance. All at the cost of tire life.

21. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I have read good things about the Pirelli P Zero Nero Ultra High Performance A/S tire. It compares well against the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and it is considerably less expensive. It sounds like you are pretty satisfied with your Michelins though.

22. davewapinski

Nov 24, 2003
    I am satisified with the Michs, but not locked in if there is something better.

I have limited experience in this area so I went with best available information I had at the time.

Will look into these other tires.

Thanks

23. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    I've gone through 3 sets of Pirelli PZeros on my 360 in 2 years and 10k miles. Only 6 track days. Direzzionale in front, assimetrico on rear. They wear FAST. Handling was pretty good, but I expected better, especially on the track. Just bought a set of Potenza S-02A's (OEM on the 360).
    I'll let you know how they are next week.