leather care | FerrariChat

leather care

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by f355b, Jun 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    i have a slight scuff on the drivers seat, f355 (tan) anybody ever used Leatherique to try make it look better or anybody know of another product?
    thank you

2. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    I know this might sound silly but it works like a charm. I have black seats. I used black shoe dye. The kind that has the sponge on the top as an applicator. Let it sit for a minute or two then buff the hell out of it with a nice soft cotton cloth. Go back 10 minutes later and buff again until no more dye comes off. I have done this with my Caddy STS seats and 308 seats and it looks great! I wear dress shirts all the time and NEVER had any problems. Hope this helps.

-Sam

3. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    only problem i see with that is the colour in my car would be tough to match also its as its peeling off..................very very small but enough to see and i read the leatherique web site and wanted to know if anybody had used.
    but thanks

4. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    I've used both Leathrique and croftgate.com, they both seem to work very well, if you want to change the colour of the leather now's a really good time to do it

5. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    And also if its peeling off you may want to scrub the area down first with some paint thinners (seems to melt the exisitng connoly paint/dye and stop it peeling back up, it could also be a sign that somebody has re-connolised them before and put the dye on too thickly)

6. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Do some searched on Leatherique and you will see its quite popular with these folks. I have used their cleaner and conditioner and will ultimately try their dye. I have used other dyes in the past with good results.

-Michael

7. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    i have been less than impressed with leatherique's dyes.
    however, i believe their other products to be superior in their class.

indid an entire refinish on my previous 308, down to the raw hide and then back up. very difficult and hard to keep on/in leather. it is also on my current 348, and the dye rubs off on that car too (does not look cool on my top, when i put it behind the seat).

i found less than adequate customer service also. i finaly got so frustrated tyring to have them get my order corrected after a snafu, i just reordered it from scratch. not cheaper, but quicker. after listening to their recomendation on how to keep the dye on the seats, my seats came out looking like a cheap plastic shiney imitation of vinyl. ick! (had to restrip down to bare leather again, which required the second batch of product)

on the plus side, they did an excellent job of color matching. and, in their defense, every company out there gets it wrong once in a while.... so dont jump all over my a$$ defending them, i am just sharing MY experience.

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
  9. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    leatherique is a sponsor and I love their products, they do sometimes have communication issues but are well worth working with

10. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #10 peajay, Jun 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had a worn area on the driver seat side on my 328, this is typical wear at this location, I was thinking of doing a complere re-dye of the whole interior but decided to try a local repair to see if it would work,, I used Liquid Leather from a UK company www.liquidleather.com. The result came out very well I think. I may consider a full repair one day but this is certainly better than it was. The before and after photos are below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    the picture tells the story. I have heard that Leatherique has a complete line of Ferrari color dyes. However, the picture posted above would have me convinced to give that product a try.

12. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    I've thought of doing that to my black seats in my M3, but I kept thinking it might not be a good idea. Maybe I will try it.

13. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    #13 f355b, Jun 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017