spacers on 348 Challenge? | FerrariChat

spacers on 348 Challenge?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 348SStb, Jun 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I've been told that one can use spacers to widen the rear track of a 348 Challenge. The purpose would be to bring it to the specs of the Speciale and the Spider, which have a widened rear track for increased stability and better handling.

Here are my questions: How complicated is this process? Can the Ferrari dealer do it? Are there any safety issues involved? What happens when you need a wheel alignment? I'm sorry, but I just don't know what "spacers" are.

2. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Go to www.customferrariparts.com/homemainferrari.htm
    and click on Wheel Spacers. Of course, you can also get similar items in the USA. I've got a pair of 5/8" rear spacers from HR on my 308QV.

It's straight bolt on -- you take the wheels off, and put the spacers on, and put the wheels back on. No new alignment involved,but you MAY need longer wheel bolts depending on the thickness and type of spacer you install.

3. 348uk

348uk Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I fitted some Hill Engineering spacers to the rears of my 348. Not only does it look better, but the handling is improved also.

I must add that the quality of the Hill Engineering spacers is superb and Paul Hill very helpful and knowledgable. He also drives a 348 so knows what he is talking about.

I fitted them myself, it's a simple remove wheels, bolt the spacers to the hub and then refit the wheels with the original wheel bolts. Paul will advise you which are the best size to go for.

Let us know what you decide.

4. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    i asked Paul about spacers for a 355 and he told me not to just use fronts or rears but to add all four corners?
    anybody know if this is correct?
    i havent put any on yet because i only wanted to do the fronts as they dont seem to look that good so far back in the wheel well.

5. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    You don't want to use just fronts -- it will mess up your handling characteristics compared to the way the car is designed with a rear track wider than the front. You can do just the backs (which is what I did) but usually should not do just the fronts.

6. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    thank you.

7. jkuk

jkuk Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Full Name:
    John K

Just done mine at the weekend.

Fitted Paul Hill's 15mm front/25mm rear with 70mm new bolts for the front.

Car definitely looks better proportioned.

John