performance schools | FerrariChat

performance schools

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by tvproducer, Jun 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tvproducer

tvproducer Rookie

Apr 28, 2004
    i would love some recommendations of any fun and instructive local performance schools. on the way to the yard house sunday everybody was doing like 120 at one point and i was in my 360 spider basically getting lapped by old ladies in corollas and teenage girls in passats. time for some overdue lessons on how to use that machine. my M5 came with free tuition to their performance school in n. carolina but i'd rather do it on the west coast while i'm here with the ferrari. any recounting of your experience would be appreciated. maybe next time i can arrive before the check comes!

2. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Skip Barber Driving School is reputable.
    FX sponsors days at the track. Talk to Costa.

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I did a Jim Russell, pretty cool. Some of these schools will cut you a deal if you wait til the last minute and can go on a short notice. Especially if they are still looking to fill spots ;)

4. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Jim Russell is an excellent school, but also check into Bondurant in Arizona. One other thing, if you can go to a good go-karting school, you learn quite a bit. There is a great one called GO-Karting at Amago raceway in Oceanside off HWY 78 inland.

5. fmxa

fmxa Rookie

Mar 3, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Jim Russell has a track event coming up June 28th at the California Speedway in "Fontucky" http://www.espnrussellracing.com/drivingcourses/trackdays.php I hear this is a great day!

6. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    #6 4i2fly, Jun 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    FoSF just sponsored a High Performance Driving School with Jim Russell at Sears Point (Infinion Raceway). This was my first time at Sears, which is pretty intimidating (walls and concrete barriers too close for comfort) and did not want to get on the track w/o instructions. The course started at the autocross to learn the limits of your car w/o ASR. Then we went to the track in a lead/follow formation, pointing out proper line, breaking and turning/exit points. All afternoon on the track, go as fast as you feel safe. I highly recommend it. It teaches you a lot about yourself and the car you drive. Driving good around the track makes you a better driver on the street and teaches you fast, safe and reliable way to go through the bends. Try it, but I have to tell you it is addictive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    If you're interested, I could meet up with you at a local open track event, and give you some personal instruction. Send me a private msg if you'd like to discuss it further; I can also furnish references from the local orgs that I've instructed for.

8. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    Hubert - great Avatar! Lol :)

I'd second Bondurant in Phoenix, I took the four day course and they really stress the basics with excellent instruction and lots of seat time.

Cheers,
    ~Chris