I Think I Want A Mondial Coupe!?!? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I Think I Want A Mondial Coupe!?!?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 007, May 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Concur: Merak - 2 + 2

In the R&T article mentioned above, the GT4 kicked their butt and took names.

2. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    YES! Beautiful colour, beautiful car!

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I always wanted a 308 and now that I have one, I realize that I can't take it out that often because the whole family (3 of us) doesn't fit. So now I want a Mondial too! I think it looks like a Ferrari, especially from the back with teh trademark tail lights. It sounds like a Ferrari, it drives like a Ferrari but best of all you can put 4 people in it! Now I just have to convince my wife that I need two damned Ferraris!! (Not parting with the 308...no way).

Birdman

4. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    #29 dakharris, Jun 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I beg to differ.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    I had an 86 Mondial 3.2 for a year, from summer 2002, and loved every minute of it. Mostly used it on long drives through France, northern Spain and Germany, but it was excellent for town use too.

The steering is light and positive. The car is fast, it's agile enough to get around traffic and overtaking is a breeze with its wonderful engine.

I traded the car in for an 87 Testarossa, in part because I wanted to try out a different Ferrari. The TR feels heavier in comparison, the long-distance ride is not so comfortable and of course I could do with the extra space of a 2+2. Only the luggage space in the TR might be larger.

I cannot afford to keep two Ferraris, especially in central London, but if I could I would purchase the Mondial again.

As for the ever-present discussion about the Mondial's merits and demerits, its place in Ferrari history and its sligthly tame looks, let me add a final point: to the onlooker both in the street and in traffic, the Mondial attracted as much admiration and appreciative attention as the TR does now. I think this is because to many people, the Mondial is a beautiful car which looks driveable and practical, and it seems to be a just-out-of-reach Ferarri; whereas the 'supercar' versions are so far beyond the horizon of most people's reality that they do not project their desires onto them in the same way.

When the Mondial was parked, people often asked me a host of questions about the practical side and costs of running the car... one could sense that they were deliberating with themselves. It was a friendly, or friend-making car. With the TR, people will come over and stare, but mostly in silence or simply to give a thumbs-up gesture.

6. rascalif

rascalif Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Southern California
    I went through the same experience, except I did part with the 308 when I got the Mondial. I really preferred driving the 308, but one kid would always end up bawling when I would take another with me. Thankfully, a very nice gentleman from this forum contacted me out of nowhere and sold me a beautiful, practically worry-free 86 Cab.

From an aesthetic point of view, I definitely would take the cabrio over the coupe, and I have not seen any problems with the top other than the fact that it takes 10 minutes to take down and attach the tonneau. But having used it as a daily driver for a few weeks, I certainly could have done without all the wind noise in the cabin.

I'm probably following the same evolutionary process that most go through, starting at the entry level and working my way up. I thought that a 348 or 512 was the next step, but now the price of the 456 is really starting to tempt me, especially since it has the backseats.

You gotta love these approach-approach conflicts!

7. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    This may seem like an odd question, but how much wind noise do you get with the top UP? I am strongly considering getting a Mondial and I 'm weighing the pros and cons of coupe vs. cabriolet. If I get one, one of its functions will be road trips involving long stretches of highway cruising. My only real convertible experience so far has been with my Alfa Spider, and at highway speeds that thing is noisier with the top up than with it down. I don't know whether other convertibles in general or Mondial cabriolets in particular have the same issue. So, I would be grateful for any comments from owners re: is the wind noise intrusive in a Mondial cabriolet at highway speed with the top up?

8. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Noise is not too bad...but it is definitely more so than in the Coupe I drove. Now, I have a Tubi/K&N combo so it is much louder than stock. Let's just say that for those looking for a good business car that allows them to be on the phone...do not pass go, do not collect $200 as it is too noisy. However, I do a lot of long drives (average around 9k a year mileage) and find that the noise factor is really not too bad.

- JMG

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I've had my 3.2 coupe as a daily and have taken some long family trips, some in America, some in Europe at pretty high speed (110 - 120 mph), both with the stock and a tubi muffler.
    Although the engine is louder than most cars, the biggest difference I noticed oddly enough was how much tire noise there was, and how VERY much quieter the car was after those heinous original Goodyear Gatorbacks were replaced by a newer technology tire. In my application, I chose Pirelli P6000 (215/55 & 225/55 -16) and the ride and noise were great, and the handling was very predictable, and excellent control of the rear with the throttle ('tossable'). I have since gone to 17" higher performance tires, both Bridgestone and now Michelin, and the P6000s were still the best 'match' for a daily GT car. Whichever you get - get new technology tires and lose those wooden Goodyears.
    As to mufflers, the tubi is not much louder than stock at cruise, but screams much over 4000 rpm. The tone is much better at all rpms.

just my experience, hope this helps.
    rt

10. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    I have owned the Series 4 Spider from Alfa Romeo (1991) and still have my 1996 Alfa Romeo Spider V6 3.0

Before I bought the Mondial Cab I had exactly the same concern: Both Alfas are quite loud with top up and especially the 916-Series has an issue with it as the top speed is 230 km/h (approx. 140 mph). The double-layer roof doesn´t help much. So I expected the Ferrari to be even louder given its single layer roof and its vintage roof mechanics.

Interestingly the Mondial with the single layer roof has much less wind noise compared to both Alfas - and I suppose it´s not only because the engine is louder :)

11. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    well stated

12. rascalif

rascalif Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Southern California
    Agree with all the others, with the top up most of the wind noise is drowned out by the engine noise. Although I hardly ever drive with the top up because it ruins the look of the car IMO.

13. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Excellent and informative posts! I'll be in the market for a Mondial next summer. We are adding to the family this year and my wife agrees that I need a four-seater F-car for family drives (...awesome wife). Following the market I can't help but notice the rarity of "other than red" Mondials and want a black/tan QV coupe (exactly like Russ's 3.2). I will keep the 348 and would rather not have two red cars. I have not yet seen one for sale in that color although it's not exactly an odd combination. We have all seen other black/tan Ferrari models, but just how rare are black/tan Mondials? I am curious how I can find out how many were made in that color and how many Mondials were made total. I know one can always buy a red/tan car and have it painted, but would rather not do that.

Shan

14. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    i haven't seen many black tan, but I have seen a couple of Black Black mondials lately.

15. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    This won't tell you what colors were made, but it will tell you how many were built each year. http://www.ferrarihaven.com/road_cars.htm It also doesn't tell you how many were imported to the US or if they are still on the road.

16. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Actually that helps a great deal. Thanks!

17. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    You're welcome. My educated guess is: not many and mostly red/tan. More variety in the later years of production, especially the T's. My '85 QV is a sort of rare-silver/blue. The factory brochure that year pictured a silver/tan, so they weren't necessarily pushing the red/tan scheme exclusively.

18. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    I drove an IT car in the 12 hours race @ Summit Point over this weekend and I managed to fit the following items in the car for the trip. 2 helmets, 2 Driving suits plus shoes, gloves and neck collar, a personal bag with street clothes for three days, one tent, 2 folding "bag" chairs, 1 sleeping bag and pillow, 1 sleeping mat, two tarps, a small bag of tools (it is a three + hour drive each way) and rain gear. What a great car!

19. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Outstanding! Great picture!

One of my criteria is, I want to be able to haul a passenger AND a guitar at the same time. (Or, my wife and her luggage for a few days, which strangely enough takes up rather more space than mine.)

20. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Now, THAT'S Grand Touring.....

I am so struck by how that looks like so many pictures from the 60s and 70s of folks that drove their Ferraris to meets. How classic.
    Great photo!

21. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I hope my trip to France in July will be as sucessful as your trip ! By the way what wheels do you have on the car, they do not look standard. Can we have a pic please.

22. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    They are clearly an after-market rim , the company (Eltori sp?) does not exist anymore. It took me over two years of hunting to find something for the car that I would like. They are a two piece design, I removed the centers to have some machine work to remove some of the offset on the fronts. I had them take off 5mm's off in order to tuck the fronts under the lip of the fender just a bit. They are all 16x8' F/R with 225/50 up front and 245/50 in the rear. I had the centers sandblasted and powder coated the grey color that you see in the photos for a few reasons, one they would look cleaner looker, I hate to clean wheels, and second they came with an 80's type gold paint job.

Here is a photo of them on the car. Good luck on your trip, The Mondial is a great car for touring. (and camping LOL)

All the best

Chris

23. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Just did a 1000 mile round trip to Le Mans with wife and camping equipment and luggage and pots and pans and.........you get the picture! Car ran great, fault free and cruised all day at over 160, only got passed by a new Aston DB9! Even had space to buy an electric cool box and fill it with cheese at Calais on the way home. Practical Ferrari, fun, fast enough for my licence and my nine year old daughter would disown me if I sold it!

24. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    I have an '82 coupe that I acquired about 4 years ago. There have been 3 issues with the car since then. 1) About 4 months after I got the car the ignition switch failed due to some corrosion on the switch contacts. The car had less than 12,000 miles when I bought it & the cause of the problem seems to be related to the car having not been used much. Once the switch was thoroughly cleaned, everything has been working fine. 2) I did a moajor engine service & clutch in early 2003 as those were weak areas for the car. The service records were not the greatest from the previous owner. 3) This past November the 5-8 ignition sensor failed & ultimately caused the header to blow. The header & all 3 sensors were replaced & things have been fine since. Now that the car is sorted out, it runs fine & is very dependable. And, as many others have suggested, there is room in the Mondial as compared to the 308. Finally, when looking at a used one, remember, mechanical things can be fixed but, you can't deny the mileage on the car.