F40 gets spanked by that pesky Lotus. | FerrariChat

F40 gets spanked by that pesky Lotus.

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by HMS, Jun 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
  2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    What is the point of this post?

3. JonnyT

JonnyT Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Interestingly, everytime acceleration was a factor it was the F40 that did the 'spanking'. Obviously, the driver of the F40 didn't feel very comfortable in the breaking zone....especially with traffic in front. Once again, the driver makes the difference, not the car...

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "What is the point of this post?"

The Lotus is a better car than the F40 in every way. You can buy a car that outperforms a Ferrari for a LOT less than the Ferrari costs. Drive a Lamborghini and tell me you still want a Ferrari. Etc., etc.

Come on, Jerry, keep up. ;)

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    lol - Somehow, I'll still take the F40.

I think I shall make a video of my Jeep wrangler passing an exotic on the track so that I can proclaim my Jeep superior!

6. Valdi

Valdi Karting

May 30, 2004
    Iceland
    Full Name:
    Valdi
    it is the driver that makes the difference take for instance our
    Renault ''Williams'' Coupé 150 bhp , weight : 1030kg with my brother in the car...
    Drag race against a 1998 Pontiac Trans Am Ram-air wich supplies about 340 hp to the rear tires (modded) , but it weighs a bit more is around 1,3 tons i think ...
    the coupé beat it 3 times in a row allways with atleast 2 car lengths beetween the 2 , wasn´t ahead at the start but still had it .

so the DRIVER is what makes the difference definetly not the car ...

(btw after 3 runs we had to get a new gearbox :) )

7. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Are you kidding? The F40 was pulling ahead on nearly every straight. The Lotus driver was just braking later into the corners. That has nothing to do with the car.

8. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Who said the guy in the F40 was really pushing?

If I saw an F40 on the streets and I get ahead of the car, I wouldn't say..Oh I spanked a Ferrari F40 like some people would say. :)

9. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    Maybe so, however these guys were on a race track,the place where the F40 was designed for.

10. JonnyT

JonnyT Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    To Valdi: The key words in your reply are 'drag race'. If you watch the video, every time a 'drag race' was involved, it was the F-40 pulling away.

To HMS: ...thus you prove my earlier statement. The driver, not the car, did the 'spanking'...

11. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    JonnyT...So, assuming you have equal drivers in each car, what do you think the outcome will be on the track? I love the F40, but that Lotus is so light and so well balanced, that it just scoots at every curve. Checkout this hyper version.... http://www.turbotechnics.com/cars/waldron.htm

12. JonnyT

JonnyT Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    In reality, it depends on the track. A track with plenty of long straights and sweepers...I'd put my money on the F40. Tight and twisty...it would be closer then you think.

13. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Give me a break! I could beat an F40 too, if he wasn't pushing. It's clear that the F40 was out for a cruise. "Spanked"? I feel for these t!ts in the car that takes 3 days to shift into the next gear. Go get the road tests for these cars and line them up. More Ferrari bashing on Ferrari board? Yeah this is nice.

14. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    After the guy driving waves for the second time, he almost runs into the back of the Porsche. And then almost plows his car into the Ferrari. Yeah he is a great driver! Nothing like locking up your brakes on an open track, nearly costing you a life time of work just to pay for the damages. I hope they had their heads banged together at the end of the day. :(

15. WJC

WJC Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    Has anyone placed an order for the new Elise? I know that it uses the Toyota engine that is used for the XRS Matrix, GTS Celica and the XRS Corolla but will it be able to be serviced by Toyota techs. They changed the engine by computer managment but what about actual physical changes to the engine? I am in college right now and I sell Toyotas (not the slick and sly kind) as a resume builder (marketing major and car nut) and I know that the cars with the same engine are great but you just have to keep them above 5K rpm. Crazy stuff. Thankfully the Lotus is going to weigh much less and daily commuting is going to awesome.

Joe C.

16. JonnyT

JonnyT Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    :) Neil, I agree...but I was trying to be nice about it...

17. mighty

mighty Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    What the hell was the passenger clapping his hands for

18. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Joe: I did. For $40k it's going to be a HOOT! Toyota engine (read: reliable), 1900 lbs, short radio 6sp, and an open top? What more do you want?

--Dan

19. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Nice? What's that? Do I need a "special place" to be nice? HA!
    So, I'm taking my VW bug out for a spin, I'll see if I can whoop a new Carrera GT. All I have to do is pass one on the highway, going in the other direction. That's hot!

20. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    He's thanking the Lord that the car hasn't exploded into flames yet!

21. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i would...! If i pass it, i spanked it; i don't care if it's PARKED, i need every win i can get... :D

In all seriousness, it's the driver, not the car... i could race Schumacher around his least-favorite circuit IN HIS CAR and he could be in a minivan and he'd STILL beat me... It's all about the driver...

HOWEVER, i don't necessarily think this thread is Ferrari-bashing... A LOT of people will be buying the new Elise; it's suppose to be RIDICULOUS on the track; throw in some slight mods and you've got yourself an 'almost anything eater', including F40s if they're not driven VERY well... It's 1900 pounds...!!! i'm pretty sure that's what a P4 weighs; you know, a RACECAR...

F40s are monsters but they ARE beatable; to sit here and think that a marque (Toyota, not Lotus) not normally associated with cranking out exotics could manufacture something capable of putting the smack down on of Ferraris supercars is just ignorant... There are PLENTY of Ferrari beaters out there... If you like Ferrari 'cause you THINK it's the fastest, you're all screwed up...

22. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Yeah yeah F cars can be taken to the cleaners. But if the driver isn't trying or the driver is a tool, you can't say car A kicked car B to the curb {as they say}. Have you guys sen the Exige from Lotus? That thing is spiderman with a jetpack!

23. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    I heard this quote a few weekends ago at Fontana from a driver friend of mine, "I've beaten cars with 100 more horsepower and lost to cars with 100 horsepower less."

24. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #24 wax, Jun 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex

There is not one Lamborghini I would swap a Ferrari for.

Murcielago or 308?

308 every time.

Guess im just a die hard Ferrari fan :D