328 stalls with AC on | FerrariChat

328 stalls with AC on

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dla, Jun 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dla

Dla Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Jacksonville FL
    Full Name:
    Lee Anderson
    I have a 1988 328. She runs fine and idle's well. However, when I cut on the AC, she will stall as I pull up to a stop sign. Is this as simple as turning up the idle to allieviate this problem? Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Dla

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I would definitely not increase the idle speed to mask the problem. Find out what's going wrong and fix it.

Do you know if the A/C is working? (If, say, you turn it on at 2000 rpm.) The A/C clutch may be seized, or you could have some other problem. I wouldn't be able to tell from here, but I hope it helps.

--Matt

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    What is your warm idle setting? It should be around 1k rpm, +- 100 rpm. If it is stalling, you could bump it to the high side (arond 1100rpm). If it is already at or above that, then you have another problem...usually their is a circuit that bumps the idle up when you engage the A/C.

4. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Not on a 328.

CIS is a mechanical system. There is no ECU to link to, that way.

5. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    There is something else wrong with you idle. At idle, I can let out my clutch and car will move away without stalling. That is a lot more load than an AC. I cannot even see a tach drop when I turn on my AC at idle. You've got some other problem.

6. 328Matt

328Matt Karting

Dec 3, 2003
    Lymm,Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I had that problem on my car.The fault was an air leak on one of the plenum chamber gaskets.