Introduction and request for recommendations | FerrariChat

Introduction and request for recommendations

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Master Shake, Jun 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Master Shake

Master Shake Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2004
    Boerne, TX
    Full Name:
    Samuel Zehr
    Hi, this is Sam Zehr. I have a 1989 Mondial T Cabriolet en route to Chicagoland this week. It is going to need a few things once it gets here, and I wonder if anyone can recommend some places to take a Ferrari.

1. The seats are a little tired, and the convertible top needs a replacement window. Any good upholstery shops?

2. The rocker panels have some bubbling. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good body shop?

3. It is freshly serviced, but I'd like to know a good independent mechanic for the future.

I'd appreciate people's opinions on where to go, or where to avoid (you can email me privately)

Thanks a lot! Thanks to Darolls for pointing me here.

Sam

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well you have the obvious choices of Lake Forest Sportscar in Lake Bluff and Continental in Hinsdale, both very good factory authorized places.

Downtown I would recommend European Auto on Lincoln (773-348 5440). The two Italian brothers Vic and Steve can take of all the issues and have their own separate place for leather and interior work (I just had them give me an estimate for some new seats).

If you just need aftermarket seats, a good place is http://www.gahh.com/. Basically any car shop can mount those hides if you don't want to do it yourself.

Welcome and hopefully we'll get to see that Mondial of yours one day. They have become almost extinct.

3. Farmers Agent

Farmers Agent Karting

May 24, 2004
    i own a 308 and have known and used Giovanni D'Avola who owns Autosprint Ltd in Chicago. he owns ferrari's and is well known in the ferrari world. tell him Dan Giacalone told you to call. his ph# 773-685-0930.

we hope to see you at some drives or events.
    welcome

4. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Body work: McCabes in Mundelein
    Interior: acoss the street from McCabes: Lake County Upholstery (847-949-5584)

Had work done there over the winter on my brothers old Lotus.
    McCabes does great work, does some VERY high dollar cars. I've seen gullwing SL there, D-types Jag, 275GTBs, Dinos, some dudes BB512 that met with a wall at Road America, 550 Maranello that met with a deer, etc... (you get the idea). Skip McCabe is very down to earth, VERY well regarded.
    Lake Co. did FANTASTIC work on the Lotus. They do most of McCabes interior stuff.
    any questions, PM me!
    Hope to see you on a drive....

BY THE WAY.... WE NEED TO DO ANOTHER DRIVE!

5. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Oh yeah....
    LFSC service is great!

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    In the works:
    http://www.focmidwest.com/services.html

Dave is working on the next drive. One week after Oakstreet. He'll soon post the details in this section.

...back to our regularly schedule programme.

7. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Remember......Jan & Inger's party is the Sunday after Oak St.

If you plan a drive for that Saturday, I can't make it. I have a graduation party to go to.

8. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Sam,
    I live in the Crete area, and although the recommendations have true merit, their locations are more than a bit remote from our neck of the woods.

I do know a number of more convenient (and quality) service sources that you may require.

I will PM my phone number over to you.

Regards,
    Bill

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It is on Saturday to avoid a clash with the Friberg party.

However I'll have to skip the Friberg party because of it being during the Canadian GP. Talk about bad timing. Any GP would have been ok (except Indy, Brazil and Canada) and they had to pick this one. Grrr....

10. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z