What Issues are there for 2003 Maserati's? | FerrariChat

What Issues are there for 2003 Maserati's?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by scott63, Jun 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I know the 2002's had a lot of growing pains being the first year, but what issues exist for the 2003's? I know there are a few recalls as well. Is the Cambio gearbox improved over the 2002?

2. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    The gearbox updates (and clutch replacement) are all covered under warranty, so any 2002 or newer can be made to perform like the 2003/4 models.

Significant changes from 2002 to 2003:
    - Spyder has glass rear window on 2003+
    - Spyder's chassis stiffened for 2003+
    - "V8" badge on side fender on 2003+
    - Cupholder in 2004+

I think that's it - anybody else? Everything else is readily (and willingly) updated by your dealer.

3. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I also have heard that in 2003 they put in thicker carpeting, added MSP to the cars (Maserati Stability Program), modified the suspension, upgraded the Skyhook software as well as the changes you mentioned.

I am also aware of a fuel line recall and a steerring rack bolt recall.

Any problem areas for the car?

4. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Good catch. I did hear about MSP and changed Skyhook, but not the carpet or hardware changes to the suspension.

As far as problems, I've heard sporadic reports of CC problems (won't come out of neutral), but no other common breakdown problem that I can remember from posted reports.

5. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I would not worry too much about the 2002 versus 2003 or 2004 as long as you are talking about the Coupe (not the Spyder). All of the updates since 2002 mentioned above - gearbox software, Skyhook suspension software, updated clutch, various recalls, etc - are covered free of charge under warranty.

The Spyder (not the Coupe) has a stiffer chassis starting from the 2003 model. For the Coupe, the main advantage (that is not covered under warranty) of the 2004 over the 2002 is the cupholder!

- Jon
    I have a 2002 Maserati Coupe

6. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    A dealer just told me they can retrofit the cupholder into the 02 and 03 cars.... It cost a few hundred bucks...

7. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    #7 scott61, Jun 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Have you found an 03 that you are interested in? If not why not just go for an 04, You could get a great deal if you take one off the lot. Even with ordering I got over 10% off MSRP and the Maserati is a heck of a lot of fun to personalize by ordering. And I figured by me getting an 04 I may be paying a little more but car will be a year newer and more warranty left on it when I get my two year bug to change cars. Am already getting real excited about this next generation Spyder I am hearing about. If they are planning them for next spring I would most likely think about trading in my car just before winter and ordering one. So for anyone looking for an 04 with extremely low miles next year could get a good deal on my loaded car
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Scotty, if you are looking for an 04 spyder i can probably get you better thatn 10% discount off the msrp from my local dealer. PM me if you are interested.

9. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Thanks.... Purchased the 2003 today. I actually found a Maserati dealer in California that was taking 20% any new Maserati just to move them. I still feel like the 2003's are a better buy....

10. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I just test drove the 2004 and am considering ordering a 2005 coupe for November. vintage package. I could get a 2004 now as they have one that matches my preferences, but i'd like to wait for my existing lease to expire and through my jaguar experiences, wait for the latest model.

The 2005 is supposed to have minor changes to the grill, not sure what it will look like, but im told it will be subtle.

Did you guys lease or buy? Im looking at a 2 or 3 year lease.

11. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Greg,

I personally only buy when it comes to the high end cars. Although you may be better off on a lease for a Maserati for the simple reason that you may get a better residual than the actual depreciation rate is....

I also wouldn't buy new. There are a number of very low mileage cars out there for thousands less than a new one.