Insurance on LHD imports - careful | FerrariChat

Insurance on LHD imports - careful

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by hedge, Jun 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    On several recommendations I called Liverpool Victoria yesterday to get a quote on my LHD 328 GTS. Made clear on the phone that it was imported and this I was told did not present a problem. Quote was great - £460 with a £400 excess, saving me £300 on the premium and £800 on the excess from Privelege who I am with currently. Also unlimited miles, non timed track days, Euro travel and a named driver included. I am 31 with no claims/convictions and 5 years no claims bonus, protected.

Sounded good to me. I cancelled my insurance this morning and phoned LV to set up the new policy - now they tell me they don't insure all imported models, including mine. If I had said yes yesterday I would not have found this out until I made a claim which probably would have been thrown out.

So just a note really to make sure that your insurers know you are in a lefty. I was utterly impressed until this morning! They quoted me under a grand for a 3 year old 360 and under 500 for a Testarossa..presumably all UK models.

Do any LHD owners insure with LV?

2. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi, I insure my LHD 355 with LV, just got off the phone with them to check and they've said I'm covered. And that they take all the vehicle specs from the reg plate.

Still, I've made a note of the call details and seeing as all their calls are recorded, if there are any issues when (if, hopefully never !) I come to claim, I'll have a leg to stand on?

The chap I spoke with said no problem on left hookers ?

Maybe it's worth calling them again and speaking to another adviser?

Yours, confused of Kent

Rob

3. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    This thread is great timing - just phoning around for quotes - my insurance is way cheaper with LV than anywhere else (£1300 cheaper !!). Mine's a 355 GTB left hooker and they said it was covered, I'll double check with them when I take out the policy.

Do they automatically cover for track days (ie non timed ones) ? (well chauffed if they do)

Cheers

Rick

4. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    I forgot to add - how can LV be so much cheaper ? Is there a catch somewhere ? Has anyone claimed off them ?

Cheers

Rick

5. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I will phone through again, but the guy I spoke to went through to their underwriters who said no. The underwriter would not speak to me, which I thought was a bit off.

6. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    I'm a bit surprised with LV - never asked if the car had tracker, Cat1 or 2 etc or garaged.

Anyone else dealt with LV ?

Rick

7. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    I'd like to know more to - considering like EVERYONE seems to use them. However I've never seen them advertised. What is the catch? Is it just an underwriter who is a Ferrari/performance car enthusiast??? A company underwriter I was dealing with falls into this category and as a result is more competitive as he does not 'feel' the risk - he knows the risk so in comfortable with offering low premiums.
    Ade

8. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    rick tracker alarm garaged track days they are not botherd the only problem you will come across if you tell them you ride about with f308man they will either cancel or give you a one million pound excess what more can i say

9. 328Matt

328Matt Karting

Dec 3, 2003
    Lymm,Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I am with aon.I am the same age as you with 6 points and no accidents.A 3000 mile a year policy with breakdown is costing me £480 and was by far the best quote.By the way the car is also a lhd 328!

10. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Sounds good, but I need more mileage - LV was unlimited. Thanks tho.