Armourfend or Paintshield ...protective sticky thingy | FerrariChat

Armourfend or Paintshield ...protective sticky thingy

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by bigmoose, Jun 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigmoose

bigmoose Karting

Oct 13, 2003
    London and Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    CT
    Firstly any of this protective film really work ?
    at the motorshow i sought some info from paintshield ...they have come back with this following quote

Pricing:
    1. 360 Modena – bumper, leading edge of bonnet, wing ends and back of wing mirrors - £550.00 fully installed with a 4 year warranty.

Headlight protection - £80 fully installed with a 4 year warranty.

2. 360 Spider Convertible - bumper, leading edge of bonnet, wing ends and back of wing mirrors - £550.00 full installed

Installed at the Sevenoaks location - £550.00 plus £70 travelling expenses.

Headlight protection - £80 fully installed with a 4 year warranty.

Extra protection for Convertible top contact area - £140.00

All above pricing is plus VAT.

is the above right ...bit steep methinks

would like to if anybody has any experience with either of the two suppliers

which would be the better one paintshield or armourfend?

tks
    chetan

2. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I have a 360 with armourfend. My comments are:
    - £550 seems reasonable
    - Don't bother with bonnet or wings. I have found the air flow over these areas prevents chips on the wings and are uniform up the bonnet. I personally don't like the line across these apnels these films leave.
    - Headlight protection - don't bother. I used to regularly go through spotlights in my 355 but have never experienced or even seen a broken 360 headlight.
    - Convertible protection - can be bought from Autoglym/Halfords and done by yourself for £15. I have a leaking garage which can leave splahes on the roof. Never caused an issue and has been brushed off easily however long the car has been there for.

In terms of 'overall' I like the stuff but many people don't. I kept it to the bumper so it is incredibly hard to spot. I can vouch that it has the added benefit that when suffering any minor damage the film can hold the split bumper together until returning the car to the dealer for a new bumper!

3. rviant

rviant Karting

Jan 22, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Chetan i was thinking the same thing as my front bumper is in a right state after Le Mans last year and a few track days.

Spoke to Armourfend and they quoted £245 + Vat for front bumper and lower side vents( Main places that get damaged) if installed at their premises near Enfiled which is a lot cheaper.

I you want i can send you a PM with all their info and some drawings on where they can apply the film.

Hows the Boat coming along by the way?

4. bigmoose

bigmoose Karting

Oct 13, 2003
    London and Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    CT
    Ian
    many tks for the input
    the convertible protection is i think more to do with the contact point of the roof with the body.... have you noticed any scuffs in that area ?

i assume yr car is now back from graypaul and all ready and prepped for yr le mans trip...have a good one

out of curiosity does graypaul charge you to pick up the car from london and bring it back to u?..am again assuming u didnt drive it up there yrself

Richard
    u have pm

the boat ...all on schedule mate...cant wait now am getting cross eyed from staring at the brochure which is now in a right state if i may add

chetan

5. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The prices are not far off Armourfend, which really does work, as you can see if you have an unprotected area next to a protected one.

On the 360, it's the front bumper, front and rear wheel arches, and lower sills up to and including the vent that are the areas that get hammered. Other areas have a a lower cost/benefit.

I've had Armourfend fit it for me, and while they made a great job of the 360 and the 456, the Stradale is not as good, perhaps because it was Supaguarded first.

6. rviant

rviant Karting

Jan 22, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Kevin how do you like your new exhaust?

I was wondering as I am considering one for my car

7. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I have some scuffs - had never even thought of armourfend there but now I have the scuffs I will wait for resale (years away) for extra polish or respray.

Car went from Graypaul direct to Damax Racing for upgrade to brakes. They did charge me delivery of £100. Then from there it goes to Verdi's for Stradale exhaust system. It will be ready just in time for Le Mans!!

8. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Sounds bloody fantastic Rich. Still recognisably a 'Stradale sound', but more complex and a bit more howl in it. And you don't have to rag it to get any valves to open either. The only surprising thing is that it's hardly any louder than stock despite being much smaller, and the downside is I'm hardly ever out of the car, even did the family grocery shopping in it the other week (it all went in too, by God).

Kevin

9. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Chetan,

I have this on the 355 and my girlfriend on her elise. I used Armourfend for this. Prices are actually dearer than what you posted. I paid £780 (I think ... it may have been £680 though) for the full kit on the 355. The thing to be careful of is that the film is made by 3M. This is the best film and does not go yellow. From what I have learned most other imitations do (like the ones they put form the Ferrari factory on inside of the rear wheel arches on the 360).

I am very happy with the kit. I heave had it for 6 months now and it has saved may potential large stone chips as I can see the slight ters on the plastic. Overall it is hardly visible and for me very wothrthwhile.

Cheers
    Philip

10. bigmoose

bigmoose Karting

Oct 13, 2003
    London and Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    CT
    It seems that amourfend is more popular than paintshield
    anybody have any experiences with paint shield?

kevin
    what is supaguard?

i rcvd the menu pricing for amourfend from richard(tks richard)
    the advantage with amourfend is u have the choice of what u want protected as against a package price of paintsheild

does anybody know if similar pricing exists for paintshield?

in either case is the film made by 3m?

phillip
    was it yr car i saw at silverstone ? tdf 355/creme int

another thing is there any price discrimination as a direct result of the car in question being a f car?
    this seems to be more the norm nowadays ..the b@stards assume that just because its a f car they can quote and charge higher

i experienced it when i sought a quote for the skipper training for my new boat ......i sought 2 quotes declaring in one case the boat being new and the other it was 10yr old....the diff was a close to 100%..ha the bast@rds

rgds
    chetan

11. Paintshield

Paintshield Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2004
    Grantham UK
    Full Name:
    Tom Wakeford
    Paintshield Is actually XPEL in Europe

www.xpel.com

so they use the same products and film as they do in the US they also design in the UK and will break the kits apart into Bumper only etc.

Hope this helps

12. Paintshield

Dec 23, 2004
    Grantham UK
    Full Name:
    Tom Wakeford
    Fuel costs only apply to areas outside of a dealer radius now 30 in the UK) and two cars would be subject to a discount if done together, from any of our (Paintshield) dealers.

The challenge Stradale may not have been done with 3M film as Bob was using Llumar film as well for a while in the last year which may be why it does not look as good as the previous two cars.

As for that price on the bumper, interesting, given the bumper is the toughest part to do on these cars. I would be surprised if they can do it that cheap and the quotes I see from customers for price matching that cross my Desk are usually in the same ball park as ours.

Hope this helps

13. Paintshield

Dec 23, 2004
    Grantham UK
    Full Name:
    Tom Wakeford

Yes Pricing can be broken down if required although not sure why, as it either needs protection in an area or it doesnt. Leaving out a component which results in damage to an area leading to a respray kind of misses the point imho, also selling parts that may not need coverage does not make sense either.

Second Price discrimination for being an F car not by us, our prices are calculated on amount of film used and difficulty to install ( very difficult on most supercars)we also encourage our dealers to give you an up front price for an installed package (not quote you the kit price and leave the install price out untill you turn up)

Third Yes The Film is made by 3M