Doody | FerrariChat

Doody

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bart, Jun 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Is that you dyno graph? Yours cannot be a V-12. Looks at mine. It is somewhere on this site.

2. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I don't get it. They look quite similar. Nice and linear hp, and gobs of torque through the rev range. Are you speaking of the one in his avatar?

3. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ah...I think I see now. A larger version is posted in a recent thread. The graphs are similar, but yours shows greater numbers. I don't know the reason for that, perhaps a truly awsome performing engine or dyno variance. If you look at Stephen's graph in that same thread though, his puts down roughly the same numbers as Doody's graph, minus that strange dip of course. The shape of the graphs are all very similar though and characteristic of the 550's engine.

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    dynos are WILDLY not the same. the different manufacturers of dynos make all sorts of assumptions about all sorts of things and do or don't deal with a ton of variables. you can test your car on Dyno A and then test it on Dyno B right next to it and you'll get very different numbers. i don't recall it off the top of my head (stephens sounds like he might know though) but there's a generally accepted ordering of who reports highest to lowest numbers. dynodynamics, dynojet, mustang, etc. etc.

the device my charts came off of is apparently regarded as reporting the lowest numbers of the bunch - but it's purportedly also the most sophisticated and sensitive about factoring in variables (humidity, temperature, the fact that there's no 1:1 gear on the 550, etc.). i'm told that if i had taken my car to japan the next day and put it on another identical macine i'd get nearly identical graphs out of that machine. that's apparently not the case with most dyno setups.

these dynos are useless devices for actually grokking what power your engine is producing. they are useful for making comparative analyses. dyno the car. swap in a new chip. dyno again to see what happens. swap the exhaust. dyno again. the delta is what you care about. i guess the shapes of the curves are relevant regardless too - so that as well.

if you want to know what your engine really produces, you have to pull the block and then test it at the business end without all the "car" in the way.

doody.