Why We Drive Fast | FerrariChat

Why We Drive Fast

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by UroTrash, Jun 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I have often thought about the almost compulsive need I have to get in a sportscar or especially a motorcycle and just DRIVE. I have come to the conclusion that the drive is deep seated in my psyche, and may very well have roots in survival and fostered by evolutionary pressure.

I think that the need for the feeling of movement and traveling may have roots in primative nomadic society. I will propose that the members that were more willing to travel may have had a survival advantage (and reproductive advantage) and therefore the urge to travel may be inborn in many of us.

So, the compulsion to travel, and travel rapidly may have a deep instintual basis on or near the same magnitude as the instinct for sex, warmth, companionship, food gathering, etc. There may be a very real survival advantage imparted by this trait.

So, in driving fast, I think we are satisfying an instinctual need that we have no control over. We are animals in our basic nature and I think this is a clear example of a primal drive displaced in the modern world.

Or, maybe we just like to drive fast.

2. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Interesting post. Playboy magazine did an article (had to be 10-12 years ago) which discussed the same thing i.e., why we like to drive/drive fast and what is going on in your body/senses when you do that. It was called something like 'The Anatomy of Speed' and was most a interesting read. I've been searching for the article, so that I could reread it, for a couple o' years but have yet to come across it.
    Your 'primitive roots' theory is interesting and probably has some merit to it.

3. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

I'll tell your wife that's why you are looking through Playboys every night! :)

4. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Hey, she's bought that excuse for years!

However, if I do come across the article, I'll pass it on. In the meantime, I'll just forward the issues to you!!!

5. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

:)

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    For me, it's simple... i'm left-brained... but everything on the RIGHT side of my body is controlled by the left side of my brain; i use my RIGHT foot on the gas pedal, viola...! Simple as that...

Of course, another theory, summed in one sentence by a close friend of mine a few years ago, while out ZIIIIIIIIPING through traffic on the parkway:
    "Who or what are you running away from...?" The answer was myself, but that theory is, more or less, the hypothetical path less taken with topics like this... :))