New GTO sales | FerrariChat

New GTO sales

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Alex_V, Jun 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Does anyone know how the sales are doing for the new Pontiac GTO, the dealer right up the street from me has had many just sitting there, I have only seen one on the road...anyone know whats going on there? Maybe its just my area that they arent to hot in, but it seems like they arent selling at all.

2. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    GM is sucking wind on the rebadged Holden. You can probably get a great deal on them right now. They didn't help themselves by announcing the Autocross version of the GTO just before the LA Auto Show in January... it's almost like GM was admitting that the handling and performance will below par.

Brad

3. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Automotive news ran an article on them last week. Dealer average inventory is something like 165 days. That is about 100 days more than the average GM product. No rebates yet, but expect soome soon.

4. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    They should have brought the Holden Monaro directly over and simply rebadged it. The minor visual changes make the GTO look SO much worse.

5. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    They should have never named it the GTO. This car tarnishes the GTO legacy... like the Mustang II.

6. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    That is really not a fair statement It is a pretty good car wrapped up in Pontiac brand image issues.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    According to Bloomberg:

Six months after the GTO's debut, the car -- priced at about $34,000 -- is selling at less than half the projected rate of 16,000 units for the first year. Jim Wangers, a senior analyst at Automotive Marketing Consultants Inc. and a former advertising executive who worked on the original GTO, believes he knows why:

``GM didn't cater to the true hobbyist, who wants more attitude and more stuff under the hood like the old GTO. And there was no serious follow-up advertising once the car hit the market.''

Pontiac dealers sold 650 GTOs in April, down from 719 in March.

Most reviewers give GTO high marks for technical prowess, based on its 350-horsepower engine. Brock Yates, however, ridiculed its looks in Car and Driver magazine, calling it a ``cunningly disguised phone company fleet car.''

8. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Around SE Michigan too they are all OVER the dealer lots. Why they killed the Firebird/Camaro and brought out ANOTHER front engine V8/RWD 4 seater car at thousands more is beyond me. GM sucks.

9. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    From what i've heard, most dealers have mark ups on them, with no rebates. Add the conservative (grand prix looking) styling, and pontiac has basically shot themselves in the legs on this car. Still, a nice car. It would be nice if they got rid of the markups, and brought the msrp down to under 30g's.

Another ill-fated GM vehicle that isn't doing too well either - Chevy SSR.

10. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

And the Camaro/Firebird is a better car.

11. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Its sad. The exterior of the car looks like a grand prix. The Interior looks great. The red leather is awsome (I love red leather). Driving it is great, I love that growl it has- you know one is on the road.
    Great car once you get to know her.
    Damn well made too- not a squeak or a rattle. When you shut the door it goes thmmp not ca-cunk.
    My only complaint on the car other than the styling is- I cant find the damn door locks! Do they even exist on the inside of the car? Forgive me, I bet they are right in front of me and I just dont see them. Apologies in advance- Im Polish. :)

12. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
  13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    performance is good enuf for this car. i think problem lies in bland styling which is probably most important factor to most buyers in this segment. how can pontiac make a wildly overstyled minivan (aztec) where buyers want conservative then go conservative where buyers want over the top (gto)? such idiots!

14. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

15. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And all we hear of how "our" Holden Monaro is doing over in the states is nothing but great news. Good to see the real side of the story. Mind you, the Monaro is pretty nice looking, most of us aussies are ashamed of what gm have done with the GTO. Have you guys got V-8 Utes???

16. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Wow, is that a serious question? Yes, yes we do. And too damned many of them. (You just mean your good old fasioned normal V8 SUV right?)

17. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

NO thats not what he means.

18. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #18 writerguy, Jun 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason

EEEEWWWWWW.... That thing is a disgrace to the ElCamino...

20. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Actually the ElCamino was a disgrace this is reportedly a pretty good car.

don't know much more but any of our southern hemisphere Fchatters might be able to poke some truth into this thread. Any one down there own or drive one of these?