A Sad Defeat | FerrariChat

A Sad Defeat

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SkizoACE, Jun 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Tonight my uncle and I were crusing in his Camaro. He is a proud owner of a 360CS, so hes not one of these 'my American car can beat that Italian car' guys. Anyways, we came upon a 360. My uncles Camaro has a Z06 block, and every SLP option known to man, and that was stock(I'll explain later). So we keep up with the 360, because he likes the cars greatly. So the guy in the 360 tries to show-off and rev his exhaust, and the light turns green and he takes off. We come up to him at the next light and he gave my uncle a smile and a wave. The light turned green and both cars were burning rubber. We plowed up and on-ramp and we just left the 360 in our dust. He was at least 4 car lengths behind.

So the explanation. GM shipped a few wrong blocks to the Camaro plant. His Camaro dynoed 370HP, 365LB-FT at the rear wheels.

Ok, so if Ferrari doesnt care about numbers, why make supercars? If I pay this obsurd amount of money for a vehicle, and lets say performance wise, and im getting out-ran by Camaros and Corvettes, why the hell did I buy the Ferrari? Ferrari is slacking greatly. Hell I could probly out-run a 355 in my Chevelle.

And I follow up my question with an answer. CART cars are faster then F-1 cars. Its about prestige. You race your ass off in the CART series to maybe become a F-1 racer. Same with vehicles through your life. You work your ass off to graduate from a Civic to a 360. And with a Ferrari, you know you have accomplished something.

Prestige.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    No they are not. Also, the CS would destroy the car in turns. Ferraris were never the fastest cars around...unless it was the 80s that is...then we 'own3d'. :)

PS What year car is that? Also, how much do they run for now?

3. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    If you have to ask that question, then you probably should stick with Camaros and Corvettes. You know, any smart kid with a wrench, a few $thousand and a big turbo can build a Supra/Civic/WRX/GTI/whatever that's faster than a Ferrari in a drag-race too. It's not about drag racing...it's about the whole experience (including that little thing called the steering wheel) and about the fact that it's a FERRARI -- a rare, exotic, prestigious, special car.

4. rnmarks317

rnmarks317 Rookie

May 10, 2004
    cart cars faster, thats awsome... id be willing to bet thats not true. as far as the name thing, think of rolex, cost an insane amount but tells the time just as well as the clock on my vcr. when you buy a ferrari you buy more than a car, you buy a piece of history. its a feeling that you get everytime you take that cover off and put the key in the car. if you know then you know. thats how it goes

5. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I honestly don't know why anyone even replied to him.
    It seems ppl just do not know how to ignore trolls, no matter it is a Civic board, or Maxima board, or BMW board, or even Ferrari board.

6. jarends

jarends Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2001
    Princeton, NJ
    Full Name:
    John Arends
    Hey, I don't mind replying,,,

I own three Pontiac Trans Ams and my wife has a 328, two different experiences altogether. My 2002 and the 78 are raw muscle and can beat the pants off most of the fcars I've met, but can't beat the exotic feel just to drive look and experience the Fcar. It's Beer vs Fine wine both have their place.

J

7. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    You guys are forgetting to mention the most important part of this whole deal..
    This WORKED UP Camaro beat a stock 360..

Who knows how experienced the 360 owner really was?

Let's add to this now. What if the 360 was also worked.... It would have been a nightmare for the Camaro.

8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Ah, sixteen - the age of enlightenment. When I was your age, I would have also been surprised to learn that the Charger/SE I lusted for would have out-run that "pretty" Dino ... in a straight line.

Motorcars are designed against a huge number of compromises, and the purpose envisioned by the designer often guides the final product towards one capability over others. Muscle cars like the Charger or Camaro run fast in a straight line. (In the '60s, America had lots of new, wide, straight, flat freeways, without much of today's gridlock. Europe had tight, twisty autostrada.) Small, lightweight cars like the Sprite or Elan excel at tight corners. Big, heavy cars like a Roller or a '60s Imperial excel at ride comfort.

But where can you find a car that's a jack of all trades?

Many cars out "drag" a Ferrari. Rodent Track doesn't even have skidpad numbers on the 360 or 550. But when they took cars around a real, live racetrack (in "Sibling Rivalry"), the lowest lap times were put in by the 360, followed by the "old man's" 550, followed by the Vette. The 911T - which out-scores the 360 on almost all of R&T's statistical tests - came a distant 4th (hurt by relatively mediocre brakes).

A Ferrari is a car that assembles the fine arts of go, stop, and turn in a formula that turns low lap times ... and has a comfortable and supporting interior as well. The Vette also puts in credible lap times ... and has a ride like sitting in a paint shaker.

My EVO will do a credible job of keeping up with my 328. After all, the stock 328 has 260 horses, and 205/225 width tires; while the stock EVO, with similar weight, pumps 285 ponies to four fat 235 width tires, each equipped with huge Brembo brakes. But put a bump in the corners, and the Ferrari gets less deranged by it than the EVO. And, without anti-lag, the EVO gets far less gain from heel&toe than the Ferrari. I find the 328's stock seats far more comfortable than the EVO's low-end Recaros ... and more supportive than the US-model EVO's widened seats (to be more comfortable for "big butt" Yanks -- a trade-off again).

And my Ferrari is your age, while the EVO is brand new. In 16 years, the EVO will be scrap.

As you learn, over the next few years, the skills involved in putting a car around corners, you may find that there is more to driving than clawing up a ramp. (I was only a few years older than you when I moved from drag racing American iron to running a Fiat in the dirt in rallye.)

There are two cures for youth: but only in one do you get any older. If you're at all serious about cars, I'd advise you to save up for one of the road course racing schools, to learn what some of us almost killed ourselves learning. ;)

And to learn something else: Your Chevelle (or even a Chevette) could probably run away from many 355s on the street. Because 355s that race on a track have nothing to prove on the street. A street isn't a race track, as anyone who's been on a track can tell you.

9. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    One of the most endearing qualities of any sports car on the street is the similiarities to being in a race car.

Ferrari has captured that in each of its sports cars. Sure there maybe quicker faster cars but that one quality of recreating what it feels like to be in a formula one race car is what I see as one of the true benefits of owning a ferrari.

As an owner of a worked Z06 throwing down 465 flywheel hp and 440lb/ft of torque I too enjoy the speed, handling and braking that this car possess...but in no way shape or form do I think this car is as competent in recreating that formula one race car scenerio.

Besides that..I've never understood how a highway pull for 30 seconds at best is a race. Hell its barely a moment in time.

Just my two cents and not a flame to a very fast Camaro which is also a cool car.

10. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    TVR's are faster then Ferrari's, and cheaper too, however that doesn't mean everybody runs out to buy, them. Ferrari is more then just numbers. Otherwise we'd all be driving Nobles and Lingenfelter 'Vettes.

11. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I owned some Ferraris and sold my last one about 2 months ago, a Testarossa. Sold it because I wanted a Porsche 996TT, I wanted to have a really fast car, but my 996TT even with a 1/4 time of 12.3 it is not as special to drive as the '88 Testarossa I had. I will buy a 308 or 328 very soon so I can take them to the track and drive it on the street also, you see I tracked my Testarossa but my driving skill like most of us it ins't as good as to exploit the chassis of a Testarossa, 355, 360 etc. For the track I think as for right now a 308 or 328 fits me better, but for daily driving in the streets and leaving behind the pretenders the 996TT is a monster, and also I wouldn't track the 996 right now because it cost me a big chunk of money and because the Porsche is a very very fast car and much harder to master. I drove my first Ferrari at 15 and owned my first at 19 a 328GTS, there were some cars which you could buy and then modify them to make them fast as hell, but I was lucky that since I was 9 years old I knew that I always wanted the best, Ferrari. Even a corvette ZO6 which by no means is a slow car it cannot be compared to a Ferrari in all aspects as a corvette is very trashy in style, build materials and cache. Like Michele Alboreto once said "Ferrari motors the best there are, are there any other cars?"

12. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Interesting to see how defensive some reactions are.
    What's next ? Ban anyone who expresses criticism or doubt of any kind ? Trollisation seems just a word away, this is intolerant and sad. Cool, guys.

If green light drag racing is your thing (not my cup of tea), then one might draw simple conclusions as to why the lauded epitomy of THE sports car does not accelerate faster than anything else out there.

Of course, enjoying these cars is about a lot more than trafic light pissing contests, at least to those who are receptive to certain sublime subtleties ... and are willing to put up with the rest.

13. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    When ever I ride in my dads Ferrari its something special. He doesnt act like hot ***** because hes in a Ferrari. He just drives it like a normal sports car. And to answer the comments about me being a troll, ya, I sure am. I just cant wait for the 420/430 thingy to come about, and set Camaros and Corvettes where they need to be, behind the reigning sport car manufactuer:Ferrari.

14. Corsa

Corsa Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I believe that the only track modern F1/IRL/CART-cars have common is at Montreal and the fastest IRL/CART(?) was slower than the slowest Minardi.

And try to find out whats make a SUPERCAR.

15. Corsa

Corsa Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Fastest IRL/CART was about 6 sec slower than the fastest F1.

16. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    There are two kinds of people in this world...

Ferrari owners and everyone else.

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    l = straight line performance
    s = real world performance

18. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    on a road course, a f1 car will eat a cart car alive......the cart cars are very low tech compaired to the f1 one cars....and my 360 spider is significantly faster than my c5vette even in straight line acc... on a road course the ferrari kills the vette... no compairson.....why i am even responding tothis ridiculous post!!!!!

19. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    wouldnt it be nice if the people who posted on this site actually had a drivers license?

20. Tyson

Tyson Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2003
    Idaho
    Am I the only one who's Uncle doesn't own a 360CS?

21. amos

amos Rookie

May 26, 2004

Where to I begin? GM DID NOT accidently send a few LS6 blocks out! Many, and i mean many, F-bodies after 2001 had the LS6 blocks. I'm willing to bet an entires weeks pay that your uncles car did not dyno 370rwhp stock. Unfortunetly, I have owned many F-bodies and I can tell you dont have any idea what you're talking about.

22. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    You too can have an uncle with a 360CS in the imaginary world of F-Chat!

Hell, I'll be your uncle if you'd like. :)

23. chinaboy

chinaboy Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Jardine Lookout, HK
    Full Name:
    Eric Wong
    being very fast is important (but not necessary to be the fastest)

to own a Ferrari is like owning a piece of art, because of its history, the work by hand, the sound, the beauty......
    it is everything combined that make it so special.

24. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Those who can afford it buy the Ferrari. Those who can't afford to buy a Camaro or whatever and soup it up.

Put your money down and take your car. Simple as that.

25. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    looks like its furking school holidays again when i was 16 i was out looking for girls and riding a moped not trying to chat **** with people older than my parents ahhh the sad youth of today