Baldwin oil filter for 328 | FerrariChat

Baldwin oil filter for 328

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by martinlaw, Jun 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. martinlaw

martinlaw Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Hi Everyone,

I would like to change from Fram oil filters to Baldwin as my 328 takes around 5 or 6 seconds to gain oil pressure when starting and I understand from previous threads that a Baldwin filter will reduce this.

Does anyone know the baldwin part or reference number?

Many Thanks,
    Martin.

2. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Baldwin Filters Kearney NE 1-800-822-5394 / 308-237-9700 7a-5p CT M-F

B253 : 20 micron, standpipe, bypass valve, antiflowback valve

I don't know where you're located, but a Fleetpride franchise should carry them, or you can call Baldwin for the address of a local dealer.

A quick google search also turns up mail order sources such as go2marine: http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.jsp?servletPath=/g2m/action/GoBPage/id/87027F//hiLiteSku/87027/categoryId/13822/ ($9.35 ea)

Actually, go2marine seems to have a decent price for Baldwins. Anyone use them before?

3. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

I used them for the last batch I bought. OK.

4. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    I just bought some from this place online. I got 6 B253 filters for about $10 each. They arrived in about 3 days...

http://www.adiesel.com/

5. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    any body use fuel filters by baldwin i have a 1980 308 gtsi 2 valve it takes # BF661 how do thay compere with bosch fuel filters ?????

6. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Martin--where are yiu located?

7. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    any body use the boldwin fuel filters any coments on that????????

8. martinlaw

martinlaw Rookie

Nov 4, 2003

Thanks - your help is appreciated.

9. martinlaw

martinlaw Rookie

Nov 4, 2003

In England

10. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Just received my Baldwin oil filters from Go2marine. They were ordered on Friday. They were fast. Excellent Service.

11. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Ok,

Took my 328 in today to the Ferrari dealer, mostly to fix the A/C, so, it was close to be due for an oil and filter change, so i thought, i'll let them get thier hands dirty but i will give them one of my Baldwin B253 oil filters i bought. Well, the service manager called me and said that these filters do not have stand pipes in them and suggested against using this in my car. So, i guess i will have a UFI filter then...

So, i guess i need to do a little more homework here and figure out what is up with these B253 filters????

My gut tells me the service manage is not familiar with Baldwin oil filters...

12. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    This is from the baldwin website. *note it does mention it has a standpipe.*

PART NUMBER: B253

Descriptions : Microlite Full-Flow Heavy-Duty Lube Spin-on

Notes : Can be used in racing applications.

Contains : Anti-Drainback Valve
    20 PSI By-Pass Valve
    Standpipe

Fits : Ferrari, Lancia, Porsche Automotive

Replaces : Ferrari 45384000; Lancia 2220425; Porsche 901-107-203-02

Thread : 3/4-16

O.D. : 3 11/16 (93.7)
    Length : 5 15/32 (138.9)
    I.Gskt : G401
    Related to : B2 (Non-Racing Version)

hope this helps

Mark

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Regardless of what the service manager said, the Baldwin B253 has a standpipe in it. I have examined several of them...in fact I just went out to my garage and pulled one off the shelf, it has a METAL standpipe, clearly visible through the central hole. Have the service manager shine a flashlight in the central hole, and ask him what he sees...or better yet, show him yourself, when you pick up the car... I would love to see the look on his face. :)

I understand the service manager's concern though, as most other brands do not have the standpipe. But he could have at least checked, before assuming otherwise. The only three filters that have the standipe (that I am aware of) are the UFI, Baldwin, and Fram. And we all know about the quality control issues with the Fram.....

UFI or Baldwin...they both work fine. I think many of use use the Baldwin, cause they are easier to find, appear to be of even higher quality than the UFI, and cost only $9(!).

Dave

14. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank