What does the S and F stand for? | FerrariChat

What does the S and F stand for?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by botomfeeder, Jun 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. botomfeeder

botomfeeder Rookie

Jun 7, 2004
    On the Ferrari logo that is one the side of the car by the front wheel, what does the S and F mean for Ferrari? Thanks. this is my first post.

2. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Scuderia Ferrari, I believe.

3. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    scuderia ferrari - ferreri stable

4. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    both above answers correct.

5. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i think you are right "ferrari stable", but is it also correct to say it means "team ferrari"?

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It was Enzo's garage when he managed Alfa Romeo.

"Ferrari's Stable" or equipe would be the literal translation, IIRC.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Yes , scuderia also means Team as in racing team.

8. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Also, what does the horse symbolize? I know it has to do with a war hero or something.

9. Horse symbolize his dads I think or brothers group in the army that was there logo that they wore on there arm.

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The cavallino rampante was taken from the personal plane markings of a WW1 Italian flying ace named Baracca; his family asked Enzo Ferrari to adopt the late Italian hero's personal symbol in tribute and for luck. Apparantly it worked.

11. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I believe scuderia means a stable of racing horses. Correct me if I am wrong.

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The horse originally came from a plane Barraca shot down in WW1.

The downed plane came from a squadron from.................Stuttgart!

It's the same horse as the Porsche crest. Enzo was given the emblem by his parents, after he was killed.

You guys really should read more.............

13. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Lol. How did Enzo die? Old age right?

14. RacerFlash

RacerFlash Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bob Gordon
    The post meant that the parents of the pilot gave it to Enzo after their son died.

Flash

15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Quote from above website, which has a model of the plane showing the horse:
    "The Nieuport 17 model depicted in this review is shown in the color scheme used by Capitano Francesco Barraca, the top scoring ace (34 kills) of the Italian Air Force of World War I. Many of Barraca's victories were scored in Nieuports, but by the end of his career he was flying a Spad XIII. Unfortunately, Barraca did not survive the war; he was shot down on June 19, 1918, during a ground attack mission. In 1923, Barraca's prancing horse symbol was adopted by Enzo Ferrari at the encouragement of Countess Paolina Biancoli, Francesco Barraca's mother, for good luck"

The Stuttgart connection I've never read - do you have a reference on that?
    thanks
    rt

16. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    As a matter of fact "Scuderia" in "classic" italian means stable.
    After cars introduction, scuderia mean was widened to include "racing team".
    As Ferrari never raced horses, the real meaning of Scuderia Ferrari is Ferrari Racing Team.

Ciao

Eugenio

17. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I just got that when I re-read it. Thanks.

18. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    The SF on the logo is indeed the Scuderia Ferrari.

You also sometimes see reference to SEFAC Ferrari, which is the official name of the company after it was "restructured as a public entity" in 1960.

SEFAC = Societa Esercizio Fabbriche Automobili e Corsa Ferrari

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I read a lot, but it's late a night!

I'll see if I can find it. Anyone else?? I'm certain it was a downed plane he cut it from, IIRC. Then they adopted it for their squadron as well.

The aircraft were originally recon as an adjunct to the cavalry, horse tie in there as well. The pilots threw bricks at each other before guns were fitted.

A thrown brick could to a lot of damage to a wood/ fabric plane!!

20. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    It's referenced in Brock Yates' book, entitled: Enzo Ferrari, The Man, The Cars, The races.

Also per Yates' book was an account of Barraca's mother telling Enzo he should use the horse on his cars that her son had on his plane, but he didn't start using until 1932 - 9 years after she asked him. Lastly, the horse on Barraca's plane was not HIS but his SQUADRON'S... The horse was the emblem for Italian Air Squadron 91A. You can see it on planes from Italy in pictures of WWII...

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The difference in the two logos is the orientation of the tail.

Enzo's is tail up. You know the only time a horse lifts it's tail??? LOL that's right!!!

Some say this is an inside joke with Mr. Ferrari.

22. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Ferrari's prancing horse (cavallino rampante) logo has a long and illustrious history dating back to 1692 when it was the device of an Italian cavalry regiment and subsequantly adopted by Francesco Baracca as his personal emblem. Baracca was a fighter pilot in WWI. he had based his emblem on the horse that formed part of the Piemonte Reale Cavalleria regimental coat of arms. Baracca took off on 19th June 1918 on a flying mission in his Spad SXIII but never returned.

Ferrari approached Enrico Baracca (Francesco's Father) to adopt the logo. Enrico Baracca was a customer and close friend of Ferrari when he had the Alfa Romeo dealership. the logo first appeared in mid-1932 when ferrari took control of the Alfa Romeo racing team.

Ferrari placed his black horse on a yellow (or gold) shield. The yellow (or gold) is the color of his native Modena. The letters 'S' and 'F' were on either side supporting hind leg and surmounting the shield were the Italian national colors of red, white and green. The S and F stand for Scuderia Ferrari.

23. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    What's lost here is the origin of the "scuderia". Didn't I read that scuderias were some kind of medievel associations?

24. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Ferrari's own 2003 yearbook includes a lengthy discussion of the Cavallino and "Ferrari" graphic.

25. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    My Italian is a bit rusty and I'm sure the other Italians on the board would be able to correct me, but essentially, in Italian 'scudo' = 'shield'.

Now, the stable is related to Scuderia because Scuderio, (the squire), used to hold up the "shield" for the knights as they saddled up in their stable. The Ferrari racing team races under the Ferrari shield (the badge whose origin was discussed earlier in the thread) and this is where, I believe, the more recent significance of the word arose from.

You'll also notice that if you look at the racing badges on the sides of a Ferrari they are shaped like medieval shields.

This is to the best of my recollection, and I could be off, it's very early in the am!