Ford GT Does 205 in Italy | FerrariChat

Ford GT Does 205 in Italy

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Paul Vincent, Jun 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    This is the latest that I've found on the Ford GT.

Ford GT breaks 200-mph barrier during testing in Italy

By AUTOWEEK

One of the two Ford GTs at Nardo last week.

Not shocking, but impressive nonetheless: The 2005 Ford GT is the fastest production Ford ever.

In early June at Italy’s 13-kilometer Nardo test facility, development engineers ran the 550-hp GT to a terminal velocity of 205 mph. That speed was independently certified 38 years to the month after the original GT40 hit the traps on the Mulsanne Straight at 201 mph, becoming the first car to crack 200 at Le Mans en route to the first of its four straight wins in the 24 Hour.

The first GT40s were technically production cars, and homologated for street use just about everywhere.

Later, evolutionary racing models went faster than 201 (or 205) mph, but with their infamous high-speed, front-end lift, the originals were terrifying at those speeds. The 2005 GT benefits from four decades of aerodynamic development. While true to the original’s look, the new GT has an advanced aerodynamics: an underbody tray and subtle front and side splitters, a small rear spoiler extension and venturi tunnels wrapped under the rear clip. "Speeds above 200 mph were remarkably uneventful, which is a very positive outcome," said Mark McGowan, the 2005 GT’s vehicle dynamics supervisor and driver for the Nardo testing.

2. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    McGowan said the car, with its 550-horsepower 5.4-liter double overhead cam (DOHC) supercharged engine, really moves. The GT covers a quarter mile in approximately 11 seconds and achieves 128 miles an hour in that distance.

"But getting up to the 205 certified high-speed limit takes about four miles, because of aerodynamic drag," he said.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, I remember reading an article about the original GT40 where an owner did over 200 mph for something like 5 minutes ... which is a bloody long way.

The road version of the original GT40 was a tame beast (with horrible wire wheels for Gods sake!), but many of the race versions were street registered, and were/are bloody fast, still the best supercar ever made IMO.

Pete

4. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Even over the 250 LM, Pete?

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, well I have to admit that technically the Ford GT40 is superior to the spaceframe 250LM.

The 250LM did take some abuse over the years with I think 2 Le Mans wins (er, atleast one anyway ;)) but the Ford is miles moderner.

Pete

6. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    A lot of fun. I had a redman /Ickes prior race car I drove back and forth to oakland california as my daily driver. A real hoot!

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Always the bad-ass, you are Wayne! :D

--Dan