PPI at place of purchase??? | FerrariChat

PPI at place of purchase???

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by spike308, Jun 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Would you have the PPI on a used Ferrari done at the dealer it is being sold at??

2. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    sorry.... it is an authorized Ferrari dealer....

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    what kind of car is it?

is the car local to you or not?

in general, my answer would be an unequivocal "no". there are two conditions where i might reconsider.

(1) if it's a late model car and they're going to put one of the new pre-owned FNA warranties on it, then no problemo. i'd do it in a heartbeat, assuming i had an FNA dealership close by to me (otherwise you'll spend a fortune shipping the car around to get free warranty service!).

(2) if they're very close by and i trust them, then maybe (only maybe) might i consider it if i was really really comfortable. but this is fraught with risks.

doody.

4. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    Yep, I agree.........usually the PPI should be done by an UNBIASED third party, but with Doody's exceptions then the dealer would be acceptable.

5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Mike, you've got a PM.

6. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I would do it if they guarantee their result of PPI. It could be the matter of conflict of interest. Even they are unauthorized, they may know very well of Ferrari they are selling. You may want to ask the reputation of this dealer by posting at F-chat, like many do. There may be already threads on the dealer, if you do search the archive.

Good luck!

7. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    the car is a 1997, at F of Denver.
    A friend is buying the car, and since I bought last year, I am trying to help him through the process.
    Incidentally, I had my car PPI'd at F of Denver (the car was not being sold through them). I asked some very specific questions, regarding bodywork, etc. Everything was fine, they said, no issues. After living with the car for some time, it is now very apparent to me that body work has indeed been done (when looked at with a critical eye, not the "wow, a red Ferrari!" eye). Lazy? Skimped? I don't know. So, I have some reservations.... I guess the compression tests don't lie, but the cosmetic stuff is in the eye of the beholder.

8. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    a 1997 WHAT?

FCI did the same to me. told me "no bodywork" i even have the emails from them on it. it had some bodywork - it wasn't a big deal and was done to an impressive level of quality. but still, it doesn't take a genius to figure out if bodywork was done - it just requires taking the time to look, which clearly these folks weren't doing. very frustrating :(

get stuff like that IN WRITING. as part of the purchase agreement or the like. attach a page where you include all the material issues like this that have been previously discussed. at that point they can say "oh - you know what?...." and at least you've forced the issue. if not, and you find out there's serious stuff, then you've got a leg to stand on.

used cars are used cars, but that doesn't mean you have to swallow bull**** from the sales drone.

doody.

9. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Doody -

agreed!
    It is the little things that p*ss you off!
    These guys are supposed to be experts.... use your expertese!
    Used cars are not perfect... just be honest!